Overlord as Axis (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> After Action Reports

Petrov -> Overlord as Axis (9/21/2004 4:10:28 AM)

Currently playing Overlord as Axis. Things were going well, until on turn 10, a massive Allied push broke through at Carentan. Currently, on turn 14, I'm barely holding open a line to the Cherbourg Peninsula, which I'm trying to evacuate. Whether or not that can be accomplished is questionable. Worst of all however, I have several groups of units southwest of Carentan playing like it was Korsun Pocket[:)]. Although I'm trying to relieve them, quite a few will probably be lost. Valognes and St. Saveur are still in Axis hands on the peninsula. The front north of St. Lo is wavering, but the arrival of the 17th SS Panzergrenadier division from the Caen area will stiffen up that front. Caen is holding well, with 21 Panzer, Hitler Jugend, 2nd Panzer, and Panzer Lehr shattering a substantial number of British and Canadian units. The impending arrival of the LAH and Das Reich panzer divisions withing the next three turns will be used to either stabilize St. Lo and perhaps launch a counterattack west of it.

Overall, if I can hold on for several more turns without losing too many units near Carentan, I should be in decent shape to hold on to St. Lo and Caen, as I've been building up my replacements and moving artillery from Caen to the west. Together with another three infantry and 2 panzer divisions arriving by turn 22, I should be positioned well for the win with a current advantage of +1159 points over the Allies.

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried holding large numbers of units in the Cherbourg peninsula? It could work by holding on to St. Saveurs and Valognes as well as Cherbourg, but they would be cut off from the rest of my formations. Opinions? Hope to see more AAR's posted as the game comes out, I love to read them. I'll add to mine around turn 24 or so and do a wrapup as well.

Petrov -> RE: Overlord as Axis (9/21/2004 4:14:08 AM)

By the way, I'm playing with default settings. AI is fairly challenging, much better than Korsun Pocket I believe. Kudos to the development team for the AI routines.

dosmil78 -> RE: Overlord as Axis (10/5/2004 3:27:54 AM)

It is possible to keep Cherbourg from the Allies. I did this in my first game by creating a line of units to the NW of Utah beach facing the 101st, 82nd, and it's friends ordering a delaying action. By turn 32 Cherbourg was completely surrounded, but I held on to it. Granted my line in the South was that much more thin, but I was rewarded handsomely at turn 32, and also kept the units in siege of Cherbourg busy surrounding it until turn 32.

ragtopcars_slith -> RE: Overlord as Axis (10/10/2004 4:20:51 AM)

Hey guys, currently I'm playing in the BIN tournament as the Axis... It is Turn 8 and for me the Cherbourg peninsula is lost. My opponent had an excellent advance in the 1st 2 turns and captured Carentan. After losing that, I figured my whole defense on the Western front is shot, so I proceeded with a rapid withdrawal to keep that area from collapsing.
I'm barely hanging onto the ST LO region, but Caen is well.
I don't know about playing against the computer, but playing a human as the germans is tough![X(]

Thank God for the mud! [:'(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI