Poke fun at the newbie! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

khelvan -> Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 10:06:40 AM)

I have a few questions that are either vague enough to be difficult to search for the answers here, or I have simply been unable to find an answer. If someone can help, I would appreciate it! Keep in mind, I did not play UV, so I have no prior experience (though I did play Pacific War).

I have not found these in the manual, but without a true index (at least after printing it out) I have so far drawn a blank. If I am simply blind, if you direct me to the location I would be happy to read it for myself.

First, how can I determine what the command radius of an HQ is? (In general I am very confused about the effects of HQs in WITP)

Second, is there a breakdown anywhere of standard air group sizes? For instance, in transferring air groups that have taken losses among carriers, I want to make sure that replacements are not going to grow them so big that I can no longer conduct flight ops.

Third, you guys use a LOT of acronyms here. Has anyone made a little list or glossary or something to help a newbie out? Some are self-explanatory, like PH. Some are not, like KB or PM. Some I have searched for but understanding what the acronym is doesn't help me understand the terms, like SRA - Southern Resource Area? What exactly does this encompass?

Lastly, when I have multiple carrier task forces and I wish to have them attack together, are there any conditions I need to meet in order to have this happen? Do they have to be in the same hex, for instance?

Thank you for your help!

mogami -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 10:17:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: khelvan

I have a few questions that are either vague enough to be difficult to search for the answers here, or I have simply been unable to find an answer. If someone can help, I would appreciate it! Keep in mind, I did not play UV, so I have no prior experience (though I did play Pacific War).

I have not found these in the manual, but without a true index (at least after printing it out) I have so far drawn a blank. If I am simply blind, if you direct me to the location I would be happy to read it for myself.

First, how can I determine what the command radius of an HQ is? (In general I am very confused about the effects of HQs in WITP)

Second, is there a breakdown anywhere of standard air group sizes? For instance, in transferring air groups that have taken losses among carriers, I want to make sure that replacements are not going to grow them so big that I can no longer conduct flight ops.

Third, you guys use a LOT of acronyms here. Has anyone made a little list or glossary or something to help a newbie out? Some are self-explanatory, like PH. Some are not, like KB or PM. Some I have searched for but understanding what the acronym is doesn't help me understand the terms, like SRA - Southern Resource Area? What exactly does this encompass?

Lastly, when I have multiple carrier task forces and I wish to have them attack together, are there any conditions I need to meet in order to have this happen? Do they have to be in the same hex, for instance?

Thank you for your help!

Hi, The command radius for a HQ is shown underneath the HQ name.

Airgroups will not grow beyond their max size using the replacement function.

KB (Kido Butai)is the Japanese carrier strike force. While the term means carrier strike force it came to mean specificly the TF containing Kaga and Akagi.

PM is Port Moresby an important base in New Guinea.

It is best to keep the TF in the same hex if you wish a combined strike. However air groups in different hexes (or land bases) will often coordinate a strike if the conditions are right.

SRA is the Dutch East Indies mostly. All the bases that contain oil/resource and are located south west of Japan The NRA (northern Resource Area) is Korea and Manchuria.
welcome and I hope this helps.

dpstafford -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 10:22:05 AM)

quote:

I can help with some of this.

The MAX size of an air group us listed somewhere in the upper left corner of the air unit screen in parens like so: (#).

Southern Resource Area includes the DEI (Dutch East Indies) and Malaysia and PI (Philippines Islands). (And maybe Burma?)

PM is Port Moresby, a vital base in SE Papua/New Guinea.

KB is an acronym for a Japanese phrase that the players are using as a short hand for the main Japanese carrier force. The Pearl Harbor 6 (CV's), as it were.

khelvan -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 6:45:09 PM)

Great, thanks!

Is there a time when it is worth it to move from "extended range" for air missions to "maximum range?" (Is this even possible?)

I have read some of you stating that supply "trickles" from bases where supplies are high to those where it is low. Where can I read about this process? I assume this is only for bases connected by land (and even then only by some sort of road?) or through the use of supply planes?

To the headquarters question above, is there a place which explains what HQ's do better than the manual? Is there any reason to have a base in supply that doesn't have units stationed in it? What do the main (i.e. Southeast Asia and so on) HQ's do that the smaller ones don't? And what purpose do the smaller ones really have, or do they function exactly as the main ones, extending if you will the radius past where the main ones can reach?

I have played through several of the small campaigns, and I am just now starting the full War in the Pacific. I have spent two whole days just trying to understand the composition of all my troops. I have given training and base expansion orders to all of the Soviet units (does this even have an effect?), told my Chinese hordes to spread out and clog up the front with the Japanese, consolidated a bit on the Phillipines (PI?) and pulled some ships back, and now I am working on the British in India. My first question, per the HQ questions above, is whether or not I should move the Southeast Asia HQ to Diamond Harbor rather than keep it on Ceylon, since almost all my supply efforts are going to be concentrated there. I don't really have any idea what sort of effect this will have on India, Ceylon, and the bases, troops, and ships involved, and I guess the above questions are intended to help me understand this.

Thank you again!

Falke -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 8:06:44 PM)

quote:

Is there a time when it is worth it to move from "extended range" for air missions to "maximum range?" (Is this even possible?)

Normal Range- No Penalties
Extended - Combat penaties/More fatigue/ Bombers carry reduced load (no Torpedeos)
Maximum- Only Used for Moving Base.

Generally i leave fighters at extended and bombers(especially LB Torpedo ones) at normal range.

quote:

I have read some of you stating that supply "trickles" from bases where supplies are high to those where it is low. Where can I read about this process? I assume this is only for bases connected by land (and even then only by some sort of road?) or through the use of supply planes?

The Type of connection trail/road/RR defines how far it can "trickle". The amount of trickle is based on factors including supply required at base and the presence of HQ units.

quote:

What do the main (i.e. Southeast Asia and so on) HQ's do that the smaller ones don't? And what purpose do the smaller ones really have, or do they function exactly as the main ones, extending if you will the radius past where the main ones can reach?

The main ones have an effect on where reinforcements are received.For the minor HQs you have the following effects:
Naval: Improves the repair rate
Corps: Give a combat Bonus that stacks with the Main HQ.
Air: Improves the performance of air units (more will fly) and (not completly sure on this) is a requirement for Heavy Bombers to use full load.
Plus for all the Benefit of having support units.

khelvan -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 8:19:12 PM)

Thank you so much!

If I could draw on your patience just a little more - in my example I had the SE Asia HQ located on Ceylon, and I was wondering if I should move it to Diamond Harbor, and if I did, what the real effect would be on my bases and troops in the area it is in now, and the Diamond Harbor area?

Also, I have read that the Allies don't use the production features, that their production is set, and the Japanese are the ones who have to worry about that. So far, including this campaign, I have only played the Allies. Does this mean I should just forget about heavy industry in my own bases, worrying only about denying it to the enemy? Or do I need to pay attention to it at all as the Allies?

Falke -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 8:41:10 PM)

Moving the HQ to DH.

a) Ships in DH will get a repair bonus.
b) DH will draw a lot more supply
c) Units within 8 hexes will receive reinforcemts directly with the units, outside that range sub units would get created at SE asia
d) ??? could be more effects

Basically the move will help keep units more effective closer to where the action is happening.

For allies it is basically about denying HI and resources since they have an abundance.
In this area all you should consider is:-
a) turning Repair off to prevent the consumption of supplies needed for Defence (PI,SRA)
b) possibly sending some oil/Resources to Australia so that the HI there runs at 100% (The HI itself is not needed, it is for the supplies/fuel generated)

khelvan -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 9:01:46 PM)

Great! So I take this to mean that moving SE Asia HQ to Diamond Harbor is a good thing?

On page 198 of the manual, section 15.4 Base Force Replacements, it states that every friendly airfield picks one Base Force to be its primary Base Force. This unit will grow beyond its original TOE. How can I tell what unit has been chosen for the base? Are there drawbacks to moving this unit once it has grown? For instance, in some scenarios I have found Base Units with 270 aviation support, so these are generally the units I move to the front lines to build up a new airfield. Does the airfield I took the unit from choose a new primary Base Force? Are there side effects to doing this?

Thanks!

Mr.Frag -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 9:18:28 PM)

quote:

section 15.4 Base Force Replacements, it states that every friendly airfield picks one Base Force to be its primary Base Force

Applies to the Computer player ONLY ... ignore this one

khelvan -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 9:33:31 PM)

So will my aviation support ever grow, or do I have to put more base forces into the airfield to get more support?

That is, are the 270 support units that you find in other scenarios like Coral Sea or Guadalcanal going to grow in my campaign game, or should I not bother looking for them?

Mr.Frag -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/21/2004 9:53:44 PM)

Japanese units are a pretty mixed bag for sizes.

Allied units come pretty much in two sizes, 30 or 270.

Stack multiple base units to get what you need.

khelvan -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/22/2004 1:34:58 AM)

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

I think I am going to play this out with what you've told me and see how things go.

One unrelated question - based on some threads I have read it is possible to get .mp3's to play by inserting them in the sound folder and changing the extension to .sfx, correct? Do I have to rename them to a number to get them to play, and if so, what number range? I have been playing some .sfx files and some of them don't come up in the 'playlist,' so to speak, so I was wondering if there was something specific I needed to do to get songs to play.

Thanks!

Mr.Frag -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/22/2004 1:51:05 AM)

Easier just to mute the "in game" music and run media player. Why duplicate work?

The effects will play through and overplay the media player music.

khelvan -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/22/2004 11:10:49 PM)

I can't find any special rules in the manual anywhere telling me which units I can and can't move around as the Allies in the beginning of the Campaign. I understand that I can't move troops off of the PI, but where else is restricted, and where can I find a list rather than having to ask you guys?

Thanks!

RUPD3658 -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/22/2004 11:40:03 PM)

West Coast, Austrailia Command, and Dutch units cannot me loaded onto ships or planes.

khelvan -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/22/2004 11:43:16 PM)

Damn, so I can't even use the scattered Dutch units on the various islands to reinforce areas like Palembang? Ahh well, I won't even bother building fortifications for them, unless someone thinks that is a good idea.

Thanks,

-khel

dtravel -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/23/2004 4:44:59 AM)

quote:

I can't find any special rules in the manual anywhere telling me which units I can and can't move around as the Allies in the beginning of the Campaign. I understand that I can't move troops off of the PI, but where else is restricted, and where can I find a list rather than having to ask you guys?

Thanks!

Under the air unit rules on p.118 of the manual is a list of "Restricted HQs". If the LCU is assigned to one of those it cannot be loaded on either ships or planes.

Cmdrcain -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/23/2004 5:53:41 AM)

quote:

Damn, so I can't even use the scattered Dutch units on the various islands to reinforce areas like Palembang? Ahh well, I won't even bother building fortifications for them, unless someone thinks that is a good idea.

Thanks,

-khel

Ummm you can move them, you have to pay PP's to change the HQ their attached to, I've done it to move Dutch units to Darwin and Pt Moresby, both Land and Air units and even moved ABDA to Broome..

khelvan -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/24/2004 6:07:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

West Coast, Austrailia Command, and Dutch units cannot me loaded onto ships or planes.

Are there some commands missing from this list? I assume Philippine should be here, and perhaps New Zealand Command as well? I can't seem to find a restricted list in the manual, is it simply not documented?

dtravel -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/24/2004 8:06:31 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Are there some commands missing from this list? I assume Philippine should be here, and perhaps New Zealand Command as well? I can't seem to find a restricted list in the manual, is it simply not documented?

*points back three posts*

khelvan -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/24/2004 11:15:31 AM)

Thanks, I'm blind.

dtravel -> RE: Poke fun at the newbie! (9/24/2004 10:53:07 PM)

quote:

Thanks, I'm blind.

De nada.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI