What is BiN's scale? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy

Adam Parker -> What is BiN's scale? (9/27/2004 1:31:18 PM)

The most stupid question but I swear I can't find it in the manual and someone on the Run5 board just contradicted the Users Manual:

Q1. What is the time scale of a complete turn - BiN/the new TAO?

Q2. What is the map scale in BiN (the Users Manual states 4km per hex - the poster at Run5 states 2km)?

Q3. What is the map scale for the new TAO?

Thanks,
Adam.

marc420 -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (9/27/2004 8:31:29 PM)

From memory at work ..

Turns are definitely 1 day (24 hours, not 12 ... no day/night turns)
I was assuming the map scale was still 3 km per hex, but realize as I'm writing this that's from memory from KP and not something I've checked in BIN.

Capitaine -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (9/27/2004 10:34:13 PM)

quote:

Q1. What is the time scale of a complete turn - BiN/the new TAO?

1 day/12 hrs

dosmil78 -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (9/27/2004 11:40:46 PM)

I'm not sure where I read this, but I'm sure the hex-scale is equal to 4 km. Hope this is correct, and if so useful.

Dave Ferguson -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (9/29/2004 8:51:56 AM)

Avranches to the promentory west of Cherburg is about 60 hexes. This is about 120 km so the scale is 2km per hex.

Dave

76mm -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (9/29/2004 5:20:26 PM)

We've got several answers here for the map scale, but p. 7 of the manual says approx 4 km per hex.

Any definitive answers from Matrix on the time scale?

76mm

PresbyterJohn -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (9/29/2004 5:28:49 PM)

I don't see how you can argue with the real world map.

Capitaine -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (9/29/2004 7:50:14 PM)

Yes, I'd really like to hear from SSG on this. 2km/hex seems awfully short for the series, but if that's "real world measurements", WTF??

Capitaine -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (9/30/2004 1:20:50 PM)

The silence on this matter is quite deafening, which to me portended a bad result.

Soo... getting my Michelin map booklet of France out (1:200,000), I did a simple measurement: Bayeux to Port-en-Bessin. As the crow flies, it's about 8km. That should translate to 2 hexes at the stated scale of 1 hex = 4km. Instead, it is a whopping SIX HEXES between those two locales!! [X(] That places the scale well under 2km/hex! More like 1.33km/hex.

This has grave implications for movement, stacking, artillery range and even armor's gun range. We should be dealing w/ direct fire here it seems.

I don't know what to make of this... [:(] Someone please correct me b/c I don't want to believe my own research.

Dave Ferguson -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (9/30/2004 11:47:20 PM)

hex maps have a peculier property that the scale is only 'true' along the 'grain', for example north south, and it is better to measure places as far apart as possible. During the design process the map maker has to make judgement calls on exactly which hex to place towns etc, they rarely match exactly the centre of the hexes. So you could have two locations vary in distance by 4 hexes depending on design decisions. I reckon the 2km scale looks about right over the whole map.

Dave

Gregor_SSG -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (10/6/2004 10:21:56 AM)

The scale for BIN is 2.5 km/hex. There is some distortion that's inevitable with using a hex grid, but we have done our best to minimise this.

Gregor

Capitaine -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (10/6/2004 2:44:32 PM)

Regardless of what scale was intended, in actuality it comes out closer to 2km exactly.

Another, longer measure. Bayeux to Cherbourg, as the crow flies, is approximately 76km. To be 2.5km/hex, the hex distance would have to be 30. In actuality, it is 36 hexes, making it nearly exactly 2km/hex, and much closer to 2 than 2.5. Other measurements, as noted here and elsewhere, suggest an even shorter scale (although distortions could explain some of the discrepancy.

My measurements were taken from the France Michelin atlas, 1:200,000 scale. 1cm=2km. [8D]

76mm -> RE: What is BiN's scale? (10/6/2004 9:58:48 PM)

Dear Gregor:

Thanks for the confirmation that the scale is 2.5 km / hex (although it would have been good if the manual had this info instead of 4 km / hex). Could you also confirm the time scale--is it 12 hrs / turn or 24?

Thanks,

76mm

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI