29.1 + 29.2 Hex Info diagrams (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy

Adam Parker -> 29.1 + 29.2 Hex Info diagrams (9/30/2004 6:02:03 AM)

These sections explain the right click pop-up displays from the tactical map.

Section 29.1 states that the pop-up shows the hex's Anti-Shock Modifier. By this of course, it is refering to the green silhoutted anti-tank gun icon - if one shows.

However, looking at both diagrams for 29.1 and 29.2, the numerical modifiers next to these ATG icons are "+1" and "+2" respectively.

Shouldn't these be "-1" and "-2" for anti-shock or are these modifiers showing something else?

Thanks,
Adam.

JSS -> RE: 29.1 + 29.2 Hex Info diagrams (9/30/2004 6:38:03 AM)

Adam,

Effect is the same. (Tank Shock) - (Anti-tank Shock) = Attackers shock value.

...If negative anti-tank shock were depicted it would imply lessening the defending unit's current anti-shock value.[:-]

JSS

Adam Parker -> RE: 29.1 + 29.2 Hex Info diagrams (9/30/2004 7:11:41 AM)

Have a look at diagram 7.3 for me (Terrain and CRT screen) you should see that the anti-shock modifier to the right of the ATG icon there is listed as a "-1" for the example.

This is what is throwing me making me think [&:] maybe 29.1/29.2 is just a wrongly appearing numeral affecting the pop-up screens only?

Fred98 -> RE: 29.1 + 29.2 Hex Info diagrams (9/30/2004 9:34:41 AM)

I ma sure the programmers have a logical answer, but to me the anti tank symbols should always have a "-" symbol and the tanks always a "+" symbol.

I know the meaning so I ingore the symbol.

Adam Parker -> Bug? (9/30/2004 9:48:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

... to me the anti tank symbols should always have a "-" symbol...

That right Joe. This pop-up is only meant to show a hex's anti-shock value.

Hence if that is what the number is refering to (and it must be) it should be negative.

I think it is a bug but likely not affecting gameplay if the CRT screen shows the modifier as a correct negative.

I'd rather not guess things to be ok but have them reported to SSG for checking just to be sure.

Adam.

Fred98 -> RE: Bug? (9/30/2004 3:51:03 PM)

Its not a bug.

A graphic designer or somebody used a "+" when a "-" would make more sense. It makes sense to that person.

It is the same in KP.

But the values and calculations are correct. I tested when I first saw this myself.

Adam Parker -> RE: Bug? (10/1/2004 1:48:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Its not a bug.

A graphic designer or somebody used a "+" when a "-" would make more sense. It makes sense to that person.

It is the same in KP.

But the values and calculations are correct. I tested when I first saw this myself.

Thank you Joe - you're right because if the modifier is working as a negative in the CRT screen and the combat screen, then the math is ok.

Yes, it is just an anomaly in this particular display. Again my real question was whether it was actually refering to something else all together that I didn't know of!

Now if I can just get BOP's, RMC's and EMC's under my belt I don't think this game will have any more surprises for me. It is going to be a nice weekend in the hedgerows [:)]

Adam.

Gregor_SSG -> RE: Bug? (10/6/2004 11:14:53 AM)

This is just a display issue. Since most people will most frequently consult the terrain popup, I prefer to leave that unchanged and change the Terrain Effects Chart to conform.

Gregor

Adam Parker -> Fixing the display (10/7/2004 2:01:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG

....I prefer to leave that unchanged and change the Terrain Effects Chart to conform.

Gregor

Thanks for finding this thread Gregor and your answer.

Maybe you're right in making the Anti-Shock modifier uniformly appear "+ve" in all screens for though its effect is to counter the Attacker's Shock shift by reducing it, the rule book does state that it is "not a negative modifier" - as it only applies if the Attacker brings a Shock column shift to bear as a counter punch.

Now I see the logic of JSS's thinking.

To me the Anti-Shock shift to the left is a negative shift but yes, with the rulebook worded as such, reflecting it as a "+#" indicates that this is in favor of the Defender. Not totally intuitive but if uniform, understandable.

I would however also change the Terrain Effects Chart to color-in the ATG icon solid green to match the Hex Info pop-up. As no where in the rulebook is it stated that the solid green ATG icon there, represents the Terrain Anti-Shock value.

Adam.

Adam Parker -> RE: Fixing the display (10/7/2004 2:52:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

I would however also change the Terrain Effects Chart to color-in the ATG icon solid green to match the Hex Info pop-up. As no where in the rulebook is it stated that the solid green ATG icon there, represents the Terrain Anti-Shock value.

Adam.

Actually Gregor, the combat screen shows the solid green ATG icon for Terrain Anti-Shock effect. So I would color-in the ATG icons on both the Hex Info pop-up and the CRT screen to match that.

Sorry if I confused you.

Adam.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI