First battle (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great

Cage -> First battle (10/17/2004 9:18:34 PM)

Overall the game looks good. I played the first battle of the campaign, made one bad choice. I had the opportunity to take the objective but in my usual hunt the enemy down and exterminate them all style I pursued the AI troops to death. My thinking was well if they are all dead then that's a good victory to me. Game suddenly ended with all their troops routed. I took more casualties than I would have liked (only the skirmishers were actually removed, taking virtually all their casualties from wall bowfire) but found I'd suffered a minor defeat...what a shocker!...I guess I assumed the objective would be mine by default. I may be wrong since it's my first game but I'd certainly like the leeway to assume "to the victor go the spoils of war" certainly if you've routed the enemy army.

The course of the battle kept me stuck to the computer, it flows well and really has that just another turn feel to it, very addictive.

koiosworks -> RE: First battle (10/17/2004 9:48:54 PM)

Cage,

We are glad you like the game [:D]

We make you capture the objectives to get the points for them. That is by design as we don't want the player ignoring the objectives knowing they will get points for them if they win by breaking the enemy morale (but you do get bonus VPs when you break morale)

Cage -> RE: First battle (10/17/2004 11:13:42 PM)

Hmmm well I just played it again...another minor defeat! I lost 8000 men and killed 17000, I seemingly took the objective but it didn't say I had when the battle ended?? They lost army morale and the objective on the same turn.

Am I missing something?

Murky71 -> RE: First battle (10/17/2004 11:19:33 PM)

Did you have 3 units more than the enemy on or adjacent to the the flag? i.e. if the enemy has 1 unit on or adjacent you would need 4.

Black Cat -> RE: First battle (10/17/2004 11:27:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murky71

Did you have 3 units more than the enemy on or adjacent to the the flag? i.e. if the enemy has 1 unit on or adjacent you would need 4.

Hi[;)]

Are you sure about the " needing 4 if the enemy has 1" near it part ??

Belphegor -> RE: First battle (10/17/2004 11:37:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black Cat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murky71

Hi[;)]

Are you sure about the " needing 4 if the enemy has 1" near it part ??

Yes, objective states so.... in the red print. If you don't make that, you don't actually 'control' the objective. It's there to ensure that you don't run one unit in, while being surrounded by good Thebans. Holding an objective and controlling an objective are two different things.

koiosworks -> RE: First battle (10/18/2004 5:20:10 AM)

You need three more units by the flag than your opponent. Note the 'more' part. So if the enemy has one unit, you would need 4. if the enemy had 2 units, you would need 5 etc...

Marathon -> RE: First battle (10/18/2004 3:06:54 PM)

The Thebian archers usually account for half my loses so I try to keep my men moving.

Cage -> RE: First battle (10/19/2004 1:50:04 AM)

No I didn't have three next to the objective, well that's kind of pleasing in a way as I know what to do next time. Those archers on the walls are depressingly lethal.

So in an artificial way you need to make sure you don't kill the enemy to quick. Break through their lines but make sure there are enough of them left that the game doesn't finish due to morale loss. Not too keen on that, I don't mind objective points but not a situation that forces me to "go easy" on the enemy. The game should finish when you have "taken the gate" or been routed yourself.

Cheers for all the feedback [:)]

Mr.Frag -> RE: First battle (10/19/2004 3:08:46 AM)

quote:

The Thebian archers usually account for half my loses so I try to keep my men moving.

Use your heavy armor guys and come in fast. Fight farther away until the only thing around the flag is routed units. Haste makes for needless pain.

koiosworks -> RE: First battle (10/19/2004 6:32:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cage

No I didn't have three next to the objective, well that's kind of pleasing in a way as I know what to do next time. Those archers on the walls are depressingly lethal.

So in an artificial way you need to make sure you don't kill the enemy to quick. Break through their lines but make sure there are enough of them left that the game doesn't finish due to morale loss. Not too keen on that, I don't mind objective points but not a situation that forces me to "go easy" on the enemy. The game should finish when you have "taken the gate" or been routed yourself.

Cheers for all the feedback [:)]

The game will end if you take the last objective. It will also end if your route them or are routed yourself. The game will also end on the last turn. So, a viable strategy is to rush the objective to end the battle but you have to clear out enough of the enemy to have a chance for the objective rush to work.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI