What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

KG Erwin -> What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 1:58:56 AM)

This one is easy for me, personally. The most highly-decorated and legendary division in the entire US military establishment is the 1st Marine Division , "The Old Breed" as they were called in WWII. They served at Guadalcanal, New Britain, Peleliu and Okinawa in that war, then in Korea, Vietnam and both Gulf Wars, with countless other actions in between those major engagements.

In every SPWaW USMC long campaign I play, I put names of units and commanders of the Old Breed into my core force. It adds to the immersion level, and when a historic figure falls , you feel remorse that a promising career was cut short--conversely, it is encouraging when one of the posthumous MOH winners somehow survives the conflict under your command.

This is my favorite division, and any other division of any other nation would be hard put to match their record.

What do you guys think?

BruceAZ -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 4:09:32 AM)

In the Pacific its gotta be the 1st Marines [&o] and in the ETO, 82nd Airborne. [X(]

Recon
Semper Fi

historyis -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 7:39:47 AM)

Since I am Canadian, I have to pick the 3rd Canadian Infantry with their Caen do attitude. ;)

Paranormalix -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 8:07:23 AM)

Finnish "Jalkaväkirykmentti 7" "JR 7" (7th Infantry regiment) It did well in WWII and is now posted just few miles from where I live. I also served my military service there. Well, its not called JR 7 anymoore but anyway...

KG Erwin -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 8:46:03 AM)

OK, let me stir up some controversy with my second-favorite division of all time. That would be the 2nd SS "Das Reich" Panzer Division. Its members earned 72 Knights Crosses during the course of WWII, more than any other SS Division. Its units fought mostly against the Americans and Russians, but its combat record was stained by some war-time atrocities. These blemishes make them a very distant second to my first choice.

Goblin -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 8:49:54 AM)

101st AB Division! No explanation needed!

I also would have to add the 28th Infantry, because they are PA boys, and really held up the Germans at The Bulge.

Goblin

M4Jess -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 8:51:55 AM)

you from mod? [8|]

KG Erwin -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 8:57:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

I also would have to add the 28th Infantry, because they are PA boys, and really held up the Germans at The Bulge.

Goblin

Yes, my friend--I fully understand that choice--I'd place the "Screaming Eagles" at the top of the US Army's division list in WWII for best trained and motivated.

Orzel Bialy -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 9:32:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: M4Jess
you from mod? [8|]

LOL...Jess made a funny. All the same I'd have to second that! [:'(]

Wuotan -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 12:41:37 PM)

I am only able to speak for the german divisions: 16. ID (mot.)/"Windhund"-(Greyhound)-Division.... members have seen the "Kaspische Meer" (casparian sea?) and raided the railway to Astrachan... it was reborn as "116. Panzerdivision".

But, with my lack of knowledge about all those soviet/japanese/allied... divisions, this may be a "weak" choice...!

Greetings!

plloyd -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 5:10:27 PM)

The US 89th Infantry. They liked to put captured German vehicles back into service for their own use. Being the sort who has "special" PC projects and loves Monster Garage type shows, I can very much appreciate a band who referbs panzers for themselves.

m10bob -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 5:41:52 PM)

U.S. Army,29th I.D.(Omaha Beach,1st wave,St Lo,Cherbourg,Operation Cobra,Le Mans,Paris,Aachen,Rhineland),in constant combat every day,ETO and one of the highest attrition rates of any U.S. Division).
NG units from Va,Md and Pa...

Hexed Gamer -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 6:12:29 PM)

Can't really offer a specific division.

I am going to put in my vote for the FSSF (Devil's Brigade).

But...

The German HG and GD often gave a good account of themselves.

I would like to hear what you guys would say were the better Russian units.

Poopyhead -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 6:57:59 PM)

The "Big Red One". I was assigned to the 1st ID when I was stationed in Wuerzburg.

As for Russian units, I think that the Guards and Shock units were Veterans that had distinguished themselves in battle. None of the unit numbers come to mind since we have totally neglected the incredible sacrifices of the Russians in all of our history books. I have some books at home that I will check.

pappasmurf -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/22/2004 8:03:52 PM)

4th Armored the Breakthrough Divsion. No german panzer unit was able to stop it. It was patton's lead divsion and when it cut a path into bastonge the defenders had more tanks in side the city than the releives did but couldn't get thier head sout of the noose. The unit was also home to the greatest American tanker of allo time Creighton Abrams.

2nd Armored Divsion (Hell on Wheels) St. Lo Brigade because I am alumini withthe unit.

TomBell -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/23/2004 12:32:01 AM)

[:)]They were all pretty awesome. I can't say which is favorite because all of them, allies and axis alike, had some fine moments and then again they had some very bad ones.[sm=00000924.gif]

BruceAZ -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/23/2004 1:40:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Goblin

What was the movie quote: "The 101st is a good division Captain but keep your hands on your wallet at all time." (Or something like that...[:D])

[sm=00000958.gif]

Recon
Semper

BryanMelvin -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/23/2004 6:45:21 PM)

I would say the US 82nd "All American" was pretty good too [;)]

historyis -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/23/2004 6:59:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BruceAZ

What was the movie quote: "The 101st is a good division Captain but keep your hands on your wallet at all time." (Or something like that...[:D])

[sm=00000958.gif]

Recon
Semper

The quote was from A Bridge Too Far about the 82nd

KG Erwin -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/24/2004 2:53:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: historyis

quote:

ORIGINAL: BruceAZ

[sm=00000958.gif]

Recon
Semper

The quote was from A Bridge Too Far about the 82nd

That quote was attributed to John Gavin, CO of the 82nd (played by Ryan O'Neal in "A Bridge Too Far")

historyis -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/25/2004 3:03:27 AM)

Didn't they give the line to General Maxwell Taylor in the movie?

Dragoon 45 -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/25/2004 5:28:48 AM)

As far as American Infantry Divisions go, The 45th is hard to beat also. If you actually check the records, this division actually had more combat days than any other U.S. Division in World War II. I know 1st ID claims this also, but every source I can find says the 45th had more days in combat than the 1st. Also when you check some of Dupoy's analysis of the performance of U.S. Divisions in WW II, the 45th is right there at the top. But divisions like the 36st and 45th started out in the Italian campaign and then entered France by the way of Operation Dragoon. Being part of the 6th Army Group under Devers they did not get the publicity that 1st Army Group Divisions got. An excellent history of the 45th is "The Rock of Anzio". While the 3rd ID claims to have stopped the German counter attacks that almost destroyed the beachhead at Anzio, if you check the actual records, the 157, 179, and 180 Inf Regt's of the 45th actually stopped the Germans. Also the 45th was one of the few NG Divisions that was called up and served in Korea.

Poopyhead -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/25/2004 4:43:46 PM)

The Russian 13th Guards Division fought bravely at Stalingrad with the 62nd Army. The 62nd was then renamed the 8th Guards Army and fought from the Volga all the way to Berlin. Russian formations were usually smaller than their western equivalent, i.e., an army had the combat power of a western corps, a corps equalled a division and a division equalled about a brigade. Also, most early Russian units fought until attrition rendered them ineffective, then the unit was disbanded and the veterans formed the cadre of an entirely new unit. Cadre that had distinguished themselves formed a "Guards" unit and rarely a "Shock" unit.

robot -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/25/2004 8:29:21 PM)

What board shold i look on for some names for British divisions. As i am fighting in may with the germans ineed it for the British i am forming. They come into the war in may of 40 in europe. Thanks for any help you can offer.

BruceAZ -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/26/2004 2:38:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: robot

What board shold i look on for some names for British divisions. As i am fighting in may with the germans ineed it for the British i am forming. They come into the war in may of 40 in europe. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Gotta be Shire this or Guards that. The Brits always have cool names for their Regiments but they name their Divisions similar to ours. Some that come to mind are the 50th and 51st Infantry Divisions and the 1st and 7th Amoured Divisions. At this time period (early 1940) you might want to look for their Royal Marines before they rolled them into their Army commando units. Might be cool units! They were very elite for British standards but I don't think they really saw any real action as "Marines" - mostly as "Commandos." Maybe you should consider some of the Anzacs, Indians, or South African units?

Recon
Semper Fi

KG Erwin -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/26/2004 3:48:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: robot

Robot, here's a link to a chart that should answer your question: http://www.orbat.com/site/ww2/drleo/017_britain/40-05_bef/_bef.htm

Dr. Niehorster's site is a treasure trove of info for WWII Divisional Listings. You should add the main site to your favorites list. [:)]

robot -> RE: What is your Favorite WWII Division, and Why? (10/26/2004 3:51:59 PM)

Thanx Gunny for info will go there today. The X SS Panzer vs Belgium is not going to be a long one. So thought id get the British ready for there debut.

BlueLavender -> My Favourite Unit... (10/27/2004 8:48:07 AM)

.... the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, "Go For Broke", composed of Japanese American soldiers, especially its 100th Battalion, the "Purple heart battalion".

And heare are the decorations earned by the 100th Infantry Battalion & 442nd Regimental Combat Team
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 Major campaigns in Europe
7 Presidential Unit Citations: 5 of these were earned during a one-month period during the fighting for Bruyeres and the "Lost Battalion."
9,486 Purple Hearts
18,143 Individual decorations, including:
* 21 Congressional Medal of Honor
* 52 Distinguished Service Crosses
- 100th Battalion: 26
- 2nd Battalion: 16
- 3rd Battalion: 10

* 1 Distinguished Service Medal
* 560 Silver Stars
* 28 Oak Leaf Clusters for second award of the medal
* 22 Legion of Merit Medals
* 4,000 Bronze Stars
* 1,200 Oak Leaf Cluster to Bronze Stars for second award of the medal
* 15 Soldier's Medals
* 12 French Croix de Guerre
* 2 Palm to Croix de Guerre for second award of the medal
* 2 Italian Crosses for Military Merit [Croce Al Merito Di Guerra]
* 2 Italian Medals for Military Valor [Medaglia De Bronzo Al Valor Militare]
* 36 Army Commendations
* 87 Division Commendations,
* 2 Meritorious Service Plaques for the Medical Detachment and Service Company

And those are for units whose size was no larger than 5,000 men :)

BL

pappasmurf -> RE: My Favourite Unit... (10/28/2004 10:18:36 AM)

Two days after the Germans launched their Ardennes offensive, the 4tb Armored entered the fight (18 December 1944), racing northwest into Belgium, covering 150 miles in 19 hours. The Division attacked the Germans at Bastogne, helping to relieve the besieged 101st Airborne.

The Divsion also had 3 medal of honor winners

The Germans called the 4th Armoured Divison
"American Elite 4th Armoured Division"

Patton declared them his best divsion.

The divsion is also in the running for possesing the greatest single American tank ace of all time. veteran accounts reports that lt. Col Creighton Abrams leadign from the front destroyed hundreds of german veihicles. There is no offical number so the honors go to Sgt Pool but Abrams is at least second.

Abrams and his Xo wer ealbelled in nazi propaganda as Rossevelts butchers and had a price on their head.

The Divison took part in the illf ated hammelburg raid on the express orders of Gen patton.

Belisarius -> RE: My Favourite Unit... (10/28/2004 11:50:38 PM)

German divisions:

16th Infantry Division "Windhund"
7th Panzer Division
Großdeutschland 'Regiment'

British:

51st Highland Division, mostly because it had the Black Watch attached to it. Those guys know how to kick ass and take names.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI