Application error (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

bluesman -> Application error (6/14/2000 8:32:00 PM)

when I try to start the game I have an error: "Application error: intro.exe. the instruction at 0040114f referenced memory at 004002ce The memory could not be written" with a surtain machine it is the following: CPU: AMD K7 500 MHz. Memory 128Mb ram VGA Card :Riva TNT2 Sound Card: Sound Blaster 1024 Live OS: W98 Thank you for your time and prompt response. Best regards

Larry Holt -> (6/14/2000 8:54:00 PM)

What OS are you running. I assume Win95/98. I would insure that you don't have anyting else running in the background. Unfortunately tracking down the real reason for memory errors is nearly impossible for anyone other than a developer with debug tools. The usual solution is to reinstall the application then reinstall windows if that does not work. If you are running WIN95 (NOT WIN98) you can use the regclean tool to clean up the registery and remove any entries that are no longer being used but may be interfering with the operation of your machine. Regclean used to be availible at MS but a WWW search might find it elsewhere. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Larry Holt -> (6/14/2000 8:55:00 PM)

Duhh, sorry I've had my first coffee but the caffeine must not be in my system yet. I see that you are running WIN98. I have it without any problems. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

bluesman -> (6/14/2000 9:05:00 PM)

thanks for the info but, I think my system is clean.. I think it is a hardware problem is there any conflicts that you may Know of.. thank´s for everything you guys are great best regards TEO thanks for your time

Dean Robb -> (6/14/2000 10:53:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by bluesman: thanks for the info but, I think my system is clean..I think it is a hardware problem is there any conflicts that you may Know of..
Not Matrix staff, but... Are you running from start.bat or intro.exe? Start.bat calls a smacker file and smacker is sometimes picky about it's video cards. Try running directly from intro.exe. Also it looks as if you're running CrashGuard or something similar as that's not a typical W9x message. Try turning it off...they often cause more problems than they solve. And, of course, the usual advice to ensure you have the latest video drivers for your card. Some of the earlier TNT2 drivers were flaky.

bluesman -> (6/14/2000 11:06:00 PM)

I'm running the batch file without any CrashGuard running. I'll download the latest drivers for my video card and i'll try again. thank you for your time. Regards, Teo.

Larry Holt -> (6/14/2000 11:55:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by bluesman: I'm running the batch file without any CrashGuard running...
Ah ha! You should use the intro.exe file directly and not the batch file. This is more stable and will be eliminated in the patch. From your error message about intro.exe, I thought that you were running it directly. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

bluesman -> (6/15/2000 12:10:00 AM)

I have tried all EXE files, but the result is the same one. In DOS mode, in SP. series I never had problems, I am convinced that the problem is located in the drivers for Win9x of the TNT2. Teo. P.S:Forget my English language, it's really bad.

Voriax -> (6/15/2000 12:49:00 AM)

I have a Win95 and Viper 770 TNT2, I've played SPWAW with both the old 2.08 and the unofficial 5.22 Detonator drivers. both worked fine. you can get the latest official Detonator driver from Nvidia's webpage. Have you had any unusual crashes with other programs lately? Or have you made any hardware changes lately? I think it actually *could* also be a faulty memory chip, the memory test during startup is useless so if nothing helps try to find a memory test program to check it. Voriax

victorhauser -> (6/15/2000 3:49:00 AM)

My system is very similar to yours. Pentium III 600Mhz Windows 98 Riva TNT2 Ultra video Soundblaster Live! audio 128MB RAM I dragged a shortcut of the Intro.exe out to my desktop and it works every time. I've never had a crash or even a hiccup while starting or playing. I've even had Railroad Tycoon II and SPWAW running at the same time and Railroad Tycoon crashed, not SPWAW.

bluesman -> (6/15/2000 3:02:00 PM)

Hummm, maybe the CPU (AMD not Intel)?

Panther -> (6/16/2000 12:08:00 AM)

I have an Amd 350Mhz with 128 Meg Ram Motego a3d sound card ( I think) Windows 98 and no problems with anything crashing. For that matter I never had spwaw crash on me at all.

Pack Rat -> (6/16/2000 12:20:00 AM)

Read some of the very first posts on this forum. 3d cards are tricky and I think we tracked some of the problems to them. ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

Paul Vebber -> (6/16/2000 8:17:00 AM)

Try turning the Hardware accelleration off on your sound card and if you have a logitech mouse try updating the drivers. Make sure you are using the latest version of DirectX...or if you are...try reverting back to version 6.1.

Voriax -> (6/16/2000 12:42:00 PM)

It is really funny how differently things work...I have a AMD K6/2-300 and a Vortex 2 Superquad sound card. I have this sound problem during arty barrages with fast arty on. I saw the comment about turning hardware acceleration off and tried it. total disaster. now just about all sounds stuttered, crackled and splurted. And during the arty barrages the game itself slowed so much that the shell explosions were 'slow motion'. It was interesting to see all phases of shell explosion though [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Voriax

bluesman -> (6/16/2000 6:01:00 PM)

I'm going to reinstall my system this weekend , I have the latest drivers of my devices and the latest DirectX version, and the game continues crashing. Thanks for your time. Men, you really are great. Teo.

bluesman -> (6/19/2000 5:59:00 PM)

The problem is fixed. My system was infected by a new mutation of W95/cih virus, this virus infected "intro.exe" and it was the cause of the failure. About SPWAW is the best one of Steel Panthers series. In my opinion, artillery is very weak, but on the other side, armor penetration has been improved. SPAW is great wargame and a good virus detector. Thank you very much for your support and time. Best regards. Teo.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI