Ongoing problems (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

DLLoveall -> Ongoing problems (11/12/2004 8:19:17 AM)

Hello, I have posted before with SPWAW problems that were never solved. I have built a new computer and now have a new set of problems. I am running XP Pro w/SP1, 256 ram, 2.2
Pentium, 128 ATI card(Saphire). I downloaded free version SPWAW8.2 and patched to 8.30.
I install the game and can open and play twice-that means start the game, play, save, exit, then return later and do same. After these two times the game will no longer open. Instead I get a error message: mech.exe is not a valid win32 application. After that the game won't open,
UNTIL I reinstall right over the existing files-no uninstall-and then I can play the game exactly two more times and the same error message reappears. I only start the game with mech.exe,
no other method of starting works at all. I have the latest DirectX and all latest sound and video drivers. I have messed with XP compatability tab for mech.exe and setup files but it seems to have no effect at all, in fact I have heard from no one who can say if that tab even really does anything. Now the game seems to work just fine when it works at all, but it is annoying to have to reinstall it all the time. Does anyone have any idea what may be happening between exiting the game the second time after install and trying to open it the third time? When I was having problem with a SPWAW win98 install one of the suggestions was get XP. Interesting. By the way,
I have an Abit AI7 MB with Intel chipset and onboard AC97 sound. The onboard sound is the only thing in common with the computer with Win98 I had SPWAW problems on. Thanks for listening.

robot -> RE: Ongoing problems (11/12/2004 3:29:01 PM)

I will not say if this is are isnt your problem. But i have found compatibility problems with other games when i try to use on boardd sound cards. I always replace on board with sound blaster live and so far have had no problems this way. Like i say this may not be your trouble so ask around first before you make your decision. I just think the on board sound cards are a piece of junk. I am by no means a computor wiz or profess to have much knowledge in the field.

minefield -> RE: Ongoing problems (11/12/2004 3:34:10 PM)

Wow that is some wild stuff! Usually problems with SPWAW are software / configuation problems as opposed to hardware. Since SPWAW technology is so old it's not like it's really stressing or straining any hardware that has come out in the past 5 - 10 years. OTS, I wouldn't mind having your system. Want to send it to me?
Well I'm going to say some obvious things and then some specific ones. You might want to try this in reverse order.
I'll go ahead and say, have you tried updating to SP2? It is a huge download but it also fixes quite a few things. Try a different video driver.
Since the game will run a couple or times, then we know your computer can handle it. Sounds like something changes in the registry or something really wierd is going on.
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q812486 and read the article. Try installing SPWAW to another directory like c:\spwaw\. The article is really for 2000 but who knows what trouble XP has?
The compatibility tab does do stuff to the way the program runs but I haven't heard of them really fixing problems with SPWAW. It should run in XP just fine.
Maybe mech.exe really is not valid? Perhaps it is getting written to during the game? Right click on it and select properties -> read only . Not a good long term solution but it should keep mech.exe from changing. You may want to do this to the whole folder and see if the problem lies with something changing in your SPWAW folder. When you install over (so that you know the game is working), make a copy of mech.exe as mechcopy.exe, and then when SPWAW won't run again overwrite mech.exe with the copy.
Are you saving games or doing anything else that would be creating files while you run the game? While this isn't a long term solution (you're going to want to be able to save), it will help us eliminate some variables. Delete the steel.prf file. Delete the holder.txt files.
Starting the game with mech.exe as opposed to the other methods basically skips the videos. Do you have trouble playing any other videos in Windows? What happens when you try to start the game with other methods? Do you get any error messages?

To answer your question more distinctly in regards to what could be happening between the 2nd and 3rd time: a virus is corrupting the program (unlikely), something is being written to the registry (you can download programs that monitor your registry and report changes.... running this right after you reinstall will let you know if this is the problem)....

Ok let me see what I can find with google besides that first link up there.
oh btw, did you do a fresh install of xp or upgrade?

Ok you may have a corrupt download. Have someone email you a mech.exe and be prepared to download v8.20 + the upgrade again.

That processor isn't a 64 bit one is it?

I'll keep looking.

minefield -> RE: Ongoing problems (11/12/2004 3:35:31 PM)

I agree that on-board sound is junk. I say that on-board video isn't that great either.
I have disabled my on-board sound and popped in a cheap soundblaster card from Wal Mart and gotten better results.

chief -> RE: Ongoing problems (11/12/2004 7:57:36 PM)

I've said it many times on this forum but here it comes again. Shut off all that's running in the background. SPwaw is old. yes, but its also a memory HOG it uses all it can find. Your problem sounds like its eating all the memory and can't digest anymore. Its simple enough to check out.
Shut off background ops including Virus checkers, you don't need them if your not on line.

FWIW and Good Luck.

PS: DON'T Shut off EXPLORER OR SYSTRAY

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI