1.3 crash while "training ships crew" (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support

Adman -> 1.3 crash while "training ships crew" (11/12/2004 11:41:20 AM)

Well 1.21 ran just great, patch it up to 1.3 and crashes during execution, usually Dec 8 in Scen 15, usually whilst "training ship crews". Have rerun this and other scen just to check isn't a "one-off". Done the usual; updated direct X, DL new sound files, renamed the sound directory, went through the directX troubleshooter -a couple of sound things aren't microsoft signed or whatever it is but still crashes with no sound. Plenty of space on the hard drive. I have Win 98 SE. Anyone got any ideas ?
thanks

Adman -> RE: 1.3 crash while "training ships crew" (11/15/2004 10:29:26 AM)

Updated Windows media Player to latest, still crashes, game unplayable. Anyone else in the same boat ? Include Dxdiag txt in the hope that some one can pore over it and figure out the problem. If no-one responds I'll just have to reinstall 1.21 which seems a bit of a backward step. Or maybe there's pacwar, now there's a game which never crashed[sm=00000007.gif]

Adman -> RE: 1.3 crash while "training ships crew" (11/18/2004 10:08:41 AM)

For what it's worth, I've given up and reinstalled 1.21, which plays without a problem. It's tempting to think my PC has out of date drivers or something, but every other piece of software I have works fine. I don't think I would be alone in hoping that 1.4 will "just run" and renaming directories or scouring the web for drivers won't be required.

dereck -> RE: 1.3 crash while "training ships crew" (11/18/2004 4:06:08 PM)

I got the 1.3 patch but didn't install it immediately and, after reading some of the posts about more leader problems I'm still playing 1.21.

Adman -> RE: 1.3 crash while "training ships crew" (2/12/2005 5:28:53 AM)

replying to my own post from a couple of months ago - game went OK for a while in ver 1.21 then that crashed. Patched up to 1.4 and it's still unplayable. Crashes during training ship crews and the PC either restarts or goes to the error message screen, the last one being " fatal exception 06 has occurred at 0028:C000BC9C in VxD VMM(01) ... " Can't be sound as I've renamed the directory "nosound". Some of the smaller scenarios seem to run, it's the full map ones which don't work. Running a P4 with win98. Never been able to get past about Jan 8 '42 and ver1.4 unable to get past the fist turn. Suggestions support people please.

Nomad -> RE: 1.3 crash while "training ships crew" (2/12/2005 5:49:24 AM)

How much RAM do you have? VMM should be the Virtual Memory Manager.

bradfordkay -> RE: 1.3 crash while "training ships crew" (2/12/2005 5:52:28 AM)

It sounds to me like a memory problem. I've noticed that my old desktop, usingan Athlon 2500+ chip and 512mb of PC133 memory is a lot slower at processing "Training Ship Crews" than my laptop, which has only a Centrino 1.4 chip and 512 mb of DDR memory. Apparently training the ship crews is a VERY memory intensive part of the program.

How much memory do you have? How much free space do you have on your hard drive for virtual memory? How many other programs are running in the background? Have you tried using Alt-Ctrl-Del to shut down all non-essential programs?

Adman -> problem solved - but I'm not holding my breath (2/14/2005 11:35:13 AM)

It does seem to be memory problem, thanks for that advice; I deleted a whole lot of extraneous programmes and used ctrl alt del to get rid of various other programmes running in the background and whaddya know, scenario 15 actually executes without crashing ! (ver 1.4). I've got 256 MB RAM and about 23 000 Mb free space (was about 21000) which seems more than enough for anything else on the PC, I wouldn't be surprised if other users have been caught by the same problem.

bradfordkay -> RE: problem solved - but I'm not holding my breath (2/14/2005 8:16:02 PM)

Yeah, when your post mentioned a VMM message on the crash, I knew it had to be related to your swap files (that is what Virtual Memory is, after all). I'm not sure why "Training Ship Crews" seems to take more memory than any other process in the game. Maybe they've inluded all the actual training manuals and are giving each seaman an actual test...[&:]

mogami -> RE: problem solved - but I'm not holding my breath (2/14/2005 9:24:05 PM)

Hi, Training ships is ships in TF at sea. (ships in port do not train)
On any single turn there can be several hundred to several thousand ships at sea.
They train 1 at a time.

Adman -> RE: problem solved - but I'm not holding my breath (2/16/2005 9:59:13 PM)

Hi
I spoke too soon;it's freezing now on turn 2, I assume because there are far more ships at sea; should I be looking to add RAM (which is fairly cheap), free up more space on the hard drive or both ?
thanks for the tips

Nomad -> RE: problem solved - but I'm not holding my breath (2/17/2005 12:53:50 AM)

I would buy more memory and see what happens. The VMM is swapping RAM to disk and back and it seems there is a problem there. You could try doing a scan disk and defrag to see if that helps any. But, more memory will help a bunch.

Mr.Frag -> RE: problem solved - but I'm not holding my breath (2/17/2005 2:04:59 AM)

There has got to be a newer driver for your video. With a 10/24/2001 date, there is no way on earth it's going to properly support directx9

2ndACR -> RE: problem solved - but I'm not holding my breath (2/17/2005 3:22:28 AM)

Phooey. I am using directX9.0 and my video card is a Voodoo 5500 with the original drivers. I believe they are from 2000 or earlier. So I know some cards will work with DirectX9.0.

I bet the lockup is due to sound. At least my major slowdowns are. Try renaming the sound directory to NOSOUND and see if that works. It did for me anyway.

edit: My Voodoo 5500 driver is from 11/02/2000 and I am running DirectX 9.0

Adman -> RE: problem solved - but I'm not holding my breath (2/17/2005 6:33:17 AM)

thanks for advice but I renamed my sound directory nosound ages ago and still had problems. I'll chuck in some more RAM and have a look for new video card drivers.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI