Selective Targeting (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Adg -> Selective Targeting (6/16/2000 10:22:00 PM)

Gentlemen, I was wondering if there is a way to select what type of targets your boys shoot at during the AI's movement phase? I had an AT gun poised and ready for the approaching tanks, when a group of enemy infantry ran infront of the enemy tank and my AT guns unleashed on them! I was furious! I wanted to do a Patton on those men and take my gloves off and swat them. Is their away to have my units choose between armor and infantry as their targets? Thanks...FANTASTIC GAME!

Nikademus -> (6/16/2000 11:18:00 PM)

here's a parital 'fix' for this problem granted its not perfect but i found it helped in my last battle Before ending your turn, Click on the unit in question (in your case that AT gun) bring up the info screen on it. and right click on the slot containing the weapon, this will turn it red and 'deactivate' it so that it wont fire during the AI's phase. It can be risky of course as the weapon *will not fire* even if the enemy closes to 1 hex and fires on you, but it can save precious ammo and/or keep your unit hidden till the appropriate target comes along. (the other option is to lower the max range of the unit too) I did this for a section of ISU-152 i had. Since each AFV only had 6 precious rounds of AP and i knew there were heavy German tanks in the area i did'nt want them wasting their ammo on the occaisional halftrack that kept poping up.

Beetlecat -> (6/16/2000 11:44:00 PM)

As I remember from my recent obcession with Talonsoft's 'West Front' - there was a wonderful system for this which had multiple minimum range settings for hard/soft targets. That way you could make sure that your well hidden guns could let the squads of infantry cross the open ground w/o fear of firing and giving themselves away... Not likely to work its way into a patch... But something for the 'next version(tm)' Beetlecat

Polrbear -> (6/17/2000 11:39:00 PM)

I agree. The targeting limtations is a significant issue with the game system as it stands in version 1.0. The West Front type targeting capability would be a valuable addition to the game. Current system forces work-around tactics which are unnatural. This is #1 on my fix wish list.

fdlu -> (6/17/2000 11:46:00 PM)

I agree. maybe some thing of target selection for opportunity fire, like the engineers with mines ???

Aktion T4 -> (6/18/2000 12:57:00 AM)

My suggestion to you all to fix the problem with "giving away" your position by firing on less desirable targets is to do the following: In the deployment phase, go to your roster and set all of the firing ranges to zero for all of the units you want to use in an ambush. Once you initiate your ambush during play, go to the firing unit and reset its firing range back to zero OR disable all weapons. Of course, once you fire you will give away your position, but with limited intel on, you may only be spotted when it is too late. And who knows, with a good experienced crew, they may very well remain hidden during fire. In situations like this, I tend to opt for the smaller guns (less likely to be spotted due to their smaller size as well as having some mobility). I know the bigger guns have more punch, but if you can draw fire with infantry and get a flank shot with a 37mm AT, you can really do some damage. After all, if it's not a clean kill, a 37mm AT can at least disable a vehicle. 8)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI