21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

__Creeper__ -> 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/10/2004 7:55:29 PM)

I was playing a Scenario, I think its called Ranville Resolve, and the 21st panzer division has a Tiger, was this added just for fun, or historicly accurate?

does anyone know some good web sites to research things like this ? where do campaign and scenario designers research this kind of information?

plloyd -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/10/2004 9:12:32 PM)

Mostly yes. Hauptsturmfuhrer Michael Wittman was in Normandy on June 12th. He was commanding a mixed company of Pz IV and PzVIe tanks. He did not survive the experience, but did get another Iron Cross for it. Check out The Valor & The Horror.

__Creeper__ -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/10/2004 11:07:31 PM)

well, actually i was looking for web sites and refrences where I can find information about the composition and equipment of specific divisions.

and as for wittman, he was in the 101st SS I beleave, not the 21st panzer, and I dont think his division fought near Ranville

plloyd -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/11/2004 1:09:51 AM)

Actually he was in the 1st SS Panzer, not the 101st, which never existed. The 1st SS Panzer was in Normandy at this time, 2 panzer companies at Ranville. They played a much larger role in Operation Goodwood a short time later. Try Google or WiseNut to find information on the divisions. If that still doesn't work, most of us have a boat load of history and unit links.

__Creeper__ -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/11/2004 6:32:35 AM)

right, I knew it was something like that, actually, I think I know where I got the number 101st, I think he was in the 101st panzer Abt of 1st SS right? I think this is what I recall from another game I play

so do you know wether or not it was likly that any tiger could have been used in the attack on ranville?

anyway, I spent the better part of yesterday searching threw mountains of googled web sites, and I cant find any real information about the 21st panzer division equipment composition, other than the basics, so I came here looking for that boat load of wich you speak [:)]

Orzel Bialy -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/11/2004 4:36:09 PM)

Link to 21st Panzer Division Records [8D]

KG Erwin -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/12/2004 3:03:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orzel Bialy

Link to 21st Panzer Division Records [8D]

Wow, Orzel, great site! Thanks for the link. [:)]

__Creeper__ -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/13/2004 3:36:03 AM)

can anyone tell me how much attention Wild Bill Wilder pays to historical accuracy?
does he take alot of liberties when designing his scenarios?

I wish Wild Bill would read this and tell me how the Tiger ended up there. maybe Ill send him a pm and ask him if it was just put there for fun

Orzel Bialy -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/13/2004 5:17:45 AM)

The Kunel (Wild Bill) usually stays on the historical side of scenario design, but will ad-lib a little on certain ones if he thinks it's needed to make a scenario more enjoyable or challenging.

Most designers will note in their scenario text if their work is intended to be historical / semi-historical / fictional. If it doesn't say it's 100% historical...then I would venture to say to expect at least some minor tweaks. [;)]

Take it from me...making 100% historical scenarios are not an easy thing to pull off. At times the purely historical force pools will not produce the desired outcome...and there is a chance that they can turn out boring without some "liberties" taken.

M4Jess -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/13/2004 5:48:53 AM)

I am adding this to my next scenario [;)]

[image]http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/UnitedStates/mediumtanks/M4/usmt-M4A3-105mm-XinHui.jpg[/image]

Riun T -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/13/2004 8:06:41 AM)

Hey Jess what calibre is the second barrel? looks like a smaller faster bore,maybe 57mmAPCR??

minefield -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/13/2004 4:28:05 PM)

You will notice in one of the (short) campaigns which I believe is by Wild Bill, there are actually a couple of SturmTigers used against your forces. I believe it is the Ardennes offensive one. I asked him about this and he said he was going to look into it. I don't think anything came out of it, but it adds to your suspicion that historical inaccuracies show up (even by the best designers) occasionally.

chief -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/13/2004 7:30:46 PM)

Riun,
I believe its a 3" APC, pipe canon, mod 1A, 1939.[:D]of course this is my Humble Opinion[;)]

plloyd -> RE: 21st panzer, Ranville, Tiger? (12/14/2004 5:00:18 PM)

Anchors aweigh!
I have an HTML collection of links you might find useful. As it is somewhat larger than what Matrix would like me to post, I need to know where to send it. If you could PM your email I can get it to you today.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI