The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

moonraker65 -> The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 11:43:34 AM)

Would I be alone in thinking that the Stuka's Sirens when in a dive was the most terrifying sound in WW2 ? . Just wondered what other people think on this one.

testarossa -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 11:47:10 AM)

Cracking sounds of pressure hull at crash depth. Another candidate - ASDIC pings.

tabpub -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 11:50:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: testarossa

quote:

Another candidate - ASDIC pings.

Followed by large splashing noises.....[sm=00000959.gif]

Marten -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 12:12:42 PM)

silence, after V-1's engine turned off [X(]

witpqs -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 12:15:13 PM)

A click when you expect a bang...from your rifle.

Twotribes -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 1:22:55 PM)

For most American troops it was probably the sound of incoming artillery rather than a Stuka. Or maybe the sound of an approaching German Tank.

Mike Scholl -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 2:19:57 PM)

For any survivor of the Panzer Lehr Division, I would bet on the slowly but audibly
increasing rumble of thousands of A/C engines as you wait in your holes just west
of St. Lo.

m10bob -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 3:38:41 PM)

Wrong end of a still not sighted MG 42,up close and personal.[:@]

Halsey -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 3:44:20 PM)

In a bunker. Someone yells "GAS"! Then quietly a person in the back says, "Sorry, I shouldn't have had the bean soup for dinner".[:D]

Ron Saueracker -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 3:50:27 PM)

Eleanor Roosevelt screaming as Franklin plays "back door man" with her on Sunday mornings![X(]

Honda -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 3:59:11 PM)

My experiance would put the multiple rocket launchers in the lead. I know, you'll just say it's inaccurate, etc. but the problem is in the psycological impact. Imagine 36 5"rockects coming down in your general direction. A very general direction. Well all know they don't fall in an orderly fashion but scatter over an area. The problem is that every subsequent hit sounds like they're getting closer. No matter where they fall they get louder. Now that's what I call scary. And now imagine 4 packages times 36 rocekts fired at the same time and you're on the top floor of a buiding in the target area. Man, was I lucky. I could hear a couple of them fly over. They landed 150 meters away. AD 1993.
Although, some say being a target of a strafing aircraft is worse. Something about having a feeling the earth is being grinded under your feet. Who knows.
I know, I know, this is about WW2 but - can you spell Katchusha...

Peter Fisla -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 4:41:16 PM)

I bet the sound of 88 must have been terrifying to someone sitting in a sherman somewhere in Normdany....

I saw a documentary once on TV (history chanel) where an allied tanker talked about the effect of 88 on the battlefield. This guys saw a 88 shell going through 5 shermans then at some point another 88 shell went by close to his tank at which point this guy gave an order to his tank crew to bail out and when a reporter on tv asked him why he gave that order to his crew when their tank was perfectly ok, the veteran replied: "88s rarely miss, and when they do they don't miss second time"....

Stavka_lite -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 5:41:34 PM)

I would think it would be the ripping sound made by an incoming 16" shell

Ron Saueracker -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 5:54:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stavka_lite

I would think it would be the ripping sound made by an incoming 16" shell

I don't think Franklin Roosevelt's ordinance was 16".[X(][8D]

tc464 -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 6:32:58 PM)

The chug chug noise of a 1000 lb bomb baseplate flying past...

The "tink" of a accidentaly dropped nonelectric blasting cap squarely hitting a 2,000 lb bomb during demo.

Your young airman uttering those famous words on the range...."Hey fellas, watch this !" [X(]

tsimmonds -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 6:38:12 PM)

The sound of a twig snapping at night on New Georgia.

mlees -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 6:39:31 PM)

The "banzai" battlecry that follows that twig snap...

Hard Sarge -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 7:00:57 PM)

quote:

I bet the sound of 88 must have been terrifying to someone sitting in a sherman somewhere in Normdany....

Well the hassle is, they didn't hear it, that is like the 76mm's that the GE captured and reused from the Russians, that they nicknamed Crash-Bangs, you heard the shell hit, then heard the gun fire

for your story about bailing out, the GE troops used to throw rocks at the shermans, a lot of times the crew would bail when the rock hit (combat in a built up area)

HARD_Sarge

from what some of the English said towards the end of the war was the worse, was the V-2 rocket, you didn't hear it, just a very Loud bang, followed later by the sound of a rocket falling (it was faster then the speed of sound) they said the V-1 wasn't too bad, as you could at least hear it coming and tell when armmed itself

John Pancoast -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 7:21:54 PM)

The rumored gastro-intestinal problems Hitler reportedly had <g>

tanker4145 -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 7:36:17 PM)

An unexpected knock on your front door (for the families on the homefront).

byron13 -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 8:17:28 PM)

Voting on what has been presented:

1. Any of the clicks present prior to detonation: a click when you place your foot on the ground, the click of the depth charge before detonation,etc. Of course, most of these are just "AW SH1Ts", with no time for real fear. I think the most awful sound over a period would be the entire sonar ping, swish swish, spash splash, swish swish, click bang sequence in a sub.

2. And the knock on the door is a close second and certainly the best for the homefront.

Ron Saueracker -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 8:18:54 PM)

Nobody thinks my vote for scariest sound rates a comment...[:(][8D]

bradfordkay -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 8:32:05 PM)

A very LOUD series of knocks on the door (for those living under German occupation).

Cap Mandrake -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 8:39:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Nobody thinks my vote for scariest sound rates a comment...[:(][8D]

I think Eleanore wanted Frankie to find other outlets[;)]

Milman -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 8:52:13 PM)

Sound (or silence)on submarine when all waiting for depth charges to explode .

Gen.Hoepner -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 8:52:46 PM)

I guess that being under the arty fire, sitting in a ground hole, was something that could really transform a man in a crazy horse

[image]local://upfiles/4162/Ge954452497.jpg[/image]

Admiral Scott -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 8:57:17 PM)

What about an A-Bomb?

2ndACR -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 9:13:50 PM)

Nope, the A-bomb is just another weapon to me. During GW1, we had just arrived into SA from Germany and downloaded our vehicles off the ship. We had about 5 hours of sleep in a hanger, about 4:30am some guy had a nightmare and woke up screaming GAS!GAS!GAS!. Needless to say 12 guys went to the hospital after shooting them selves with the Antropine injectors. ALL THREE SETS, before we figured out what had happened.

GAS is the most frightening thing as a soldier you can hear. You have little to no warning you are even in a chemical enviroment until the 1st guy keels over and then you are only seconds from joining him.

You can shoot at me, try and blow me up, even nuke me, but do not Gas me.

Apollo11 -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 9:21:53 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: moonraker

Would I be alone in thinking that the Stuka's Sirens when in a dive was the most terrifying sound in WW2 ? . Just wondered what other people think on this one.

I think that the most terrifying sound of WWII were air raid sirens (UK 1940/1941/1942, Germany 1942/1943/1944/1945)...

Leo "Apollo11"

String -> RE: The most terrifying sound in WW2..... (12/20/2004 9:29:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Nope, the A-bomb is just another weapon to me. During GW1, we had just arrived into SA from Germany and downloaded our vehicles off the ship. We had about 5 hours of sleep in a hanger, about 4:30am some guy had a nightmare and woke up screaming GAS!GAS!GAS!. Needless to say 12 guys went to the hospital after shooting them selves with the Antropine injectors. ALL THREE SETS, before we figured out what had happened.

GAS is the most frightening thing as a soldier you can hear. You have little to no warning you are even in a chemical enviroment until the 1st guy keels over and then you are only seconds from joining him.

You can shoot at me, try and blow me up, even nuke me, but do not Gas me.

indeed, heck even in training when someone yells GAS!!! you flinch as it means that you're gonna have to wear your gas masks for a long while. I don't know about western ones but here in estonia we still use old soviet masks which really restrict your breething.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI