AH Panzer Leader (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

AnimalAl -> AH Panzer Leader (1/14/2005 4:06:22 PM)

I was just over at ebay scanning the wargames (because of threads in this forum such as the demise of boardgames) and seeing AH Panzer Leader there brought back fond memories. I am sure I had one box at one time, have to find it. I remember in high school, my friends and I had three Panzer Leader and two Panzer Blitz games plus some made up boardmaps, put them all together for a massive tactical wargame that lasted throughout the summer. Our german opponent, stuck in the middle in a replay of 1945, was able to keep the Sov and US units from meeting. Amazing.

I saw a mint edition of AH Panzer Leader that is going for $102 right now on ebay. Made me wonder, where is the computer version? Does AH not want it to be released? Is it thought that Steel Panthers is close enough? From all the copies of Panzer Leader on ebay, it amazes me that no one has translated this very popular and easy to learn game to the computer. (HINT HINT MATRIX).

Veldor -> RE: AH Panzer Leader (1/14/2005 7:42:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnimalAl

Made me wonder, where is the computer version? Does AH not want it to be released? Is it thought that Steel Panthers is close enough? From all the copies of Panzer Leader on ebay, it amazes me that no one has translated this very popular and easy to learn game to the computer. (HINT HINT MATRIX).

My answer is that, for a company the size of Hasbro, the cost of licensing would be far overvalued for any true adaptation. The only way to do a profitable release would be to overhaul it altogether and make an RTS version along the lines of what Paradox is doing with Squad Leader & Diplomacy.

Realize too the number of companies actually involved.

On the boardgame level:
Hasbro->Wizards of the Coast->Avalon Hill

On the PC level:
Hasbro Interactive->Infogrames->Atari

Hasbro left the PC Games industry some time ago and likewise couldn't make Avalon Hill work either so they gave it to Wizards of the Coast.

I can't see how they would have even made back their 8 million dollars yet, so it was a bad buy all around and our best chance for seeing any of those games faithfully re-done, as boardgames, PC games, or otherwise would probably be to "buy back" Avalon Hill for 8 million.

Let's see, at 14,000 some members at Matrix, that's only about $575.00 a piece.

AnimalAl -> RE: AH Panzer Leader (1/14/2005 8:07:47 PM)

quote:

Let's see, at 14,000 some members at Matrix, that's only about $575.00 a piece.

Let me see if I can get Jerry and we'll start the telethon.[;)]

Brigz -> RE: AH Panzer Leader (1/14/2005 11:00:51 PM)

Multiman Publishing, the sanctioned publisher of AH games through the parent company Hasbro, has been working on "Panzerblitz 2" the board game for quite some time now and eventually will publish it. It's supposed to combine PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader with state of the art counters and boards. They take thier time getting things out but as far as I know they are still going to do it. (I've been waiting for over five years or more for the final module for ASL.) I too, doubt very much if a computer Panzer Blitz or Panzer Leader will be realeased or sanctioned by Hasbro. There's always the PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader Vassal module. Nice one for download on the Vassal site.

Veldor -> RE: AH Panzer Leader (1/15/2005 12:26:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

Multiman Publishing, the sanctioned publisher of AH games through the parent company Hasbro, has been working on "Panzerblitz 2" the board game for quite some time now and eventually will publish it. It's supposed to combine PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader with state of the art counters and boards. They take thier time getting things out but as far as I know they are still going to do it. (I've been waiting for over five years or more for the final module for ASL.) I too, doubt very much if a computer Panzer Blitz or Panzer Leader will be realeased or sanctioned by Hasbro. There's always the PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader Vassal module. Nice one for download on the Vassal site.

I saw something recently somewhere about PB2 being resurrected by MMP. I first saw the mapboard and counter art for it 3,4,5 years ago was it? Don't know a long time anyway. I think we might see this one sometime soon.

Too bad the maps won't be mounted. Somehow that just puts me off. It's like a step backwards for the game instead of a step forward. I'd almost rather own the old one.

Custer1961 -> RE: AH Panzer Leader (1/15/2005 12:49:57 AM)

There is a very old computer adaptation of Panzerblitz. It was programmed in DOS by a European and is in his native language. The game is called Russian Front II and is free. The download is available on the Web Grognards site under "Computer Wargames: MSDOS Software"

Veldor -> RE: AH Panzer Leader (1/15/2005 12:52:26 AM)

Some "Teasers". Looks great overall but would prefer mounted mapboards myself. I'll probably buy it anyway though.

[image]local://upfiles/8250/Xv647384626.jpg[/image]

[image]local://upfiles/8250/Nl309719830.jpg[/image]

rhondabrwn -> RE: AH Panzer Leader (1/15/2005 2:33:30 AM)

I'm inventorying my boardgame collection and I have Panzer Leader sitting in my lap at the moment. I'm glad to hear that there is some demand out there for these relics of a forgotten time when there were few games to choose from and each one was a cherished acquisition from the Gods of Baltimore. [&o]

pzgndr -> RE: AH Panzer Leader (1/15/2005 2:53:05 AM)

quote:

it amazes me that no one has translated this very popular and easy to learn game to the computer

quote:

the cost of licensing would be far overvalued for any true adaptation

Shrapnel Games has The War Engine, but this game design engine does not provide the basic features needed to translate the old AH games. Something comparable is needed, something with:

- hexagons and all basic terrain features
- basic unit counters with basic combat values (e.g., AF, DF, MF, range, etc.)
- editable CRTs
- basic turn sequences that could be customized
- lots of various rules options that could be customized
- decent AI that can handle it all

There's a natural impulse when designing a computer game to "use" the power of the computer to add all sorts of fancy bells and whistles to make the game more "realistic" but this ends up making the game more complex. Why not keep it simple so players can use the engine to translate these old AH games? No need for Hasbro licenses to do that.

Basic functionality could focus on PanzerBlitz, PanzerLeader and Arab-Israeli War features. Additional functionality could allow for recreation of Afrika Korps and Russian Campaign and France 1940 and all those other neat titles. Why not? Howzaboutit Matrix, why not? [8D]

benpark -> RE: AH Panzer Leader (1/15/2005 3:29:05 AM)

That map looks great, Veldor. The counters are pretty good, as well. I am happy to see that mapmaking for boardgames is getting better.

Pnzgrdr-I totally agree-when will someone make something like this? I suppose it would be like selling the whole farm, then, no? I think most of us would love to play the great old wargames with a decent enough AI. Cyberboard and the like are great for PBEM, but for a quick fix solo, this type of thing would be amazing.

Veldor -> RE: AH Panzer Leader (1/15/2005 3:38:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark

That map looks great.... I am happy to see that mapmaking for boardgames is getting better.

I think it's because it was made with a computer.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI