Great Game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> After Action Reports

Redleg47 -> Great Game (1/21/2005 5:29:44 AM)

Well, I just had a 12 day orgy of fun with Korsun Pocket. I played the full 48 turn scenario and was on the edge of my seat until at least turn 32. Every move, every attack was a nail-biter and I was riveted. Some observations that may work for others.

Its all about supply for the Soviets. Keep your halftracks in the most central positions and your trucks as close up to the front as tolerable. When their burst goes down in the thaw you'll want your trucks to be close by on roads. The South river in lower right hand corner of map (sorry - not sure of name) is a very tough nut to crack, but I took some losses and pressed the attack to wrap it all up by turn 25. Then the 110th, 116th, 94th, 11th, 12th Cavs all flooded west across the lower face of the map wiping out all German supplies. The pace was grueling because without taking certain hexes your trucks won't burst more than 2-5 hexes out during thaw. Your units will end up stuck for a couple turns at least until it freezes again.

Unit Intregrity. I go to extra lengths to maintain all unit integrity as possible. Love the bonuses.

Allocation of replacements. In the beginning only a few units will have losses and you replace them when you can. But in "pushing" enemy units you will encounter step losses across a broad front. I had a general allocation policy of highest attack/defense yield. But eventually you will need to keep the replacements at the vanguard. My favorite units which I kept up to full strength were the 18th, 20th, 19th, 5th motorized was a great workhorse, 1st, 7th, 5th, 6th airborne divisions, 214th infantry, 5th Armored Divsion.

Keep your artillery up. Have your artillery move forward every turn possible, particularly the Katyushas. They will be the absolute lynchpin of some of your early attacks and later against mini pockets.

Lure units out. I would keep my armored/motorized units tight and send out infantry regiments that would attrack attacks. Many units get left behind after attacks, this is the best time to lung forward and surround two or three hexes at a time to trap clumps enemy units. Defend with the hexes that face the in-supply front, wear down supply with units on the "rear" of the perimeter. Move katyushas right up to pockets and blast.

You have to attack surrounded units for a turn or two before their bullets will expire. This means taking losses in the initially poor odds for to generate a loss and waste supply of the surrounded unit.

The AI is surprisingly agile. Although, it ultimately failed to recognize the thrust in the south for final supply cut-off and kept rushing units north into the pocket as I planted units on the reinforcement/supply points.

I loved loved loved this game. I haven't had this much fun playing a classic wargame in years.

I already have (my original) Ardennes Offensive, Across the Dnepr (next) and Battles in Normandy (Christmas gift).

[&o]
Redleg

JSS -> RE: Great Game (1/21/2005 12:11:11 PM)

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

You've picked up the key strategies points. Playing a human PBEM adds a new dimension to the game play and requires tweaking the basic strategies you've listed.

Redleg47 -> RE: Great Game (1/22/2005 4:35:22 AM)

I used to PBEM some boardgames. After I play out the other in the series I might be brave enough to PBEM someone [:)]

Thanks for reading!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI