Counter Graphics /map size limits (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany

Sarge -> Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/22/2005 10:09:55 AM)

I am sorry if this has been covered in a previous thread.

Will we be able to mod the graphics on the counters.And what will be the map size limits in FPG.

IronManBeta -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/22/2005 7:33:15 PM)

Maps. The maps are 40 wide by 30 high (20 km by 15 km) and are fixed at that size for now. That is a good size for the intended scale of the game (reinforced bn up to reg/bde) and we would rather try to do that well then to change it around into something else. I'm not saying we won't change it some day, but that is what it is set at right now. We are going to produce some more maps of our own and we will stick to the 40 x 30 for now.

Graphics. The key 2D artwork (unit badges, unit counters, button icons, etc) have been shipped as 3 separate files that are indeed editable if you have the little editor that compiles the individual bitmaps back into the required ".bml" file. David and I haven't discussed releasing the editor yet but in a general sense we do indeed want the game to be modifiable and you can think in terms of it in version 1.1 of the game. A map editor will definitely be released and it produces .bml files too so it would be a trivial job to make it do both.

Sounds. All of the sounds are standard wav files that can be changed as desired from day 1.

Animations. FPG animations require it's own editor / compiler to create the filmstrips and probably can't be redistributed as is. I think you will like what ships already with the game though.

Game skin. Yet another editor is needed but in this case the data has been compiled into the main executable and cannot be changed. It is a very powerful editor and could easily be used to wreck the layout of the game interface. For now I think people should plan to keep what is there!

Data base. We want to add a lot more vehicles as time goes on and at some point I will clean up the db editor and release it too. Again, it depends on David and also will require some safeguards re PBEM and LAN play to keep it fair. That part still has to be worked out. The vehicle pictures are all included in the db and we might go part way and allow certain fields of the existing db to be modified and allow any new entries to be completely modifiable.

Good questions, cheers, Rob.

Sarge -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/23/2005 8:27:26 AM)

Outstanding,

The ".bml" image files are not a big hurtle even with out a editor.

Thanks for the reply

EDIT: I agree after reading all the AAR's the map size really would be nothing more then eye candy if anything at the current game/sim scale if you were to make any larger then 20x15 km.

Sarge -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/23/2005 9:13:27 AM)

One more thing

So in theory we can/or will be able to import map images of our own. That opens the game up for a huge re-playability value

This is my strong hold

[image]local://upfiles/8678/Eb870503217.jpg[/image]

wodin -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/23/2005 2:58:30 PM)

What a fantastic map! I thought FG maps look good but this is what I call outstanding.

Marc von Martial -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/23/2005 3:36:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

What a fantastic map! I thought FG maps look good but this is what I call outstanding.

Itīs a satellite image [;)]

wodin -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/23/2005 6:37:02 PM)

Had a feeling it was one that had been messed about with a bit to look less photo like.

Thats made me look like an idiot[;)]

D_ploy -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/23/2005 6:47:18 PM)

And I have never seen a wargame map with a golf course and baseball fields [;)]

Oliver

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/23/2005 7:25:49 PM)

Actually some maps in FPG do have golf courses [:D] [:D] Really.

No baseball fields though, it's Flashpoint *Germany* after all. But there are some football (euro soccer, whatever you call it) fields to roll over with your tanks.

Oleg

D_ploy -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/23/2005 9:06:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

Actually some maps in FPG do have golf courses [:D] [:D] Really.

So, we can expect scenarios like "BMP Birdie" or "Left Hook at Hole 18" and for the NATO counteroffensive it is "Elfmeter in Eisenach"? [:D] Oh well...

Oliver

Sarge -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/23/2005 11:43:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Sorry

Thats just a satellite image of my house and barns ,fire base windycity[:D]
But I do have some ideas for maps in FPG, I will see what I can do and what is doable when the game ships.

IronManBeta -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (1/25/2005 1:19:28 AM)

Sarge's image is very appealing. You would just want to scale it to 500 meters = 44 screen pixels to make it exactly right.

Ta, Rob.

hank -> RE: Counter Graphics /map size limits (2/13/2005 1:37:24 AM)

I resurrected this thread.

It has a map question answered and I had a few comments about unit map counter silhouettes.

I like watching the replay/resolution with the silhouettes on. I plan and move with NATO symbols on.

I would like to see an M2 Bradley IFV silhouette on the map counters if the platoon is all M2's. I would like to see all the silhouettes reflect what the predominant vehicle is.

Also, On some NATO (and maybe some WP) HQ units, I would also like the see the silhouettes for the HQ's reflect the predominant vehicle type. In the A Few Good TAnks scenario, there's two NATO armored HQ units with 2 M1A1 Abrams; that silhouette should show tanks ... IMHO.

I like the graphics with FPG, especially the ones in side widows.

Hank

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI