Tell me more, Jess (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Wild Bill -> Tell me more, Jess (2/1/2005 2:42:14 AM)

You got me on this one, Jess. What is the "Skink?" Your intro does not explain it. You telling me will save me looking it up. I'm getting lazy in my old age [>:]

WB

Raccoon_TOF -> RE: Tell me more, Jess (2/1/2005 5:33:06 AM)

The Skink was a Canadian AA Tank...one of many Canadian designs of superior ability and design that got killed due to poor funding and political considerations IIRC. Also IIRC, it was based on the Grizzly I Chassis (Canadian built version of the M4A1), and mounted quad 20mm Oerlikons, plus a much higher turret traverse rate than a stock Sherman.

Edit: Found this link with more info - http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/bunker/3351/allweps/skink.html. As I thought, it is the Grizzly I chassis, but they were actually Polsten guns (simplified versions of the Oerlikons). Also, according to that page, only 3 complete Skinks and 8 turrets were completed before the project was cancelled, due to the Luftwaffe threat being handled by fighters instead. Only 1 Skink ever saw action, and it was in a ground-support role.

Wild Bill -> RE: Tell me more, Jess (2/5/2005 11:10:18 PM)

Ah yes, now I do remember it. Pretty neat idea including it in the game. I seem to remember that there were a few more odd and untried AFVS that were used at the end of the war. I know that the recoiless rifle had its baptism. Not an AFV but interesting.

WB

Dragoon 45 -> RE: Tell me more, Jess (2/6/2005 8:08:33 PM)

If you don't have a copy of it, I suggest you get one. "British and American Tanks of World War II" by Peter Chamberlain and Chris Ellis. There are some truly strange variations on standard tanks built by the British and Americans. My favorite is a Sherman designed for mine clearing that replaced the tracks and running gear with a tricycle arrangement of mine rollers with the bottom of the hull probably 6' off the ground. Never went into production, but it is a good example of some of the stranger ideas offered in the war. The Skink is mentioned also.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI