Granicus Strategy (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great

mbelew -> Granicus Strategy (2/2/2005 9:50:54 PM)

(If you haven't given Granicus at least one try, I suggest you do before reading further. SPOILER AHEAD!)

I keep hearing how people are getting stuck at Granicus. I have to admit that Granicus will stomp your army if you aren't careful. The strategy behind Alexander's attack was to flank the Persians from the smaller ford.

My strategy is to run my cavalry down to the south ford. I keep the rest of my guys in defend, waiting until the Go order. They will engage any Persians that attempt to cross the ford as they sometimes try. Use your hill advantage if they do!

The cavalry will work its way through trying to capture that first flag. The idea here is to tempt the Persians into bringing in forces from the main crossing in order to aid the few guys at the south ford.

When all of your south ford units are across, its time to bring across your northern units. Keep them together. You want to protect those archers and slingers, and you don't want to have any stragglers trying to take on the Persians by themselves. Remember that the Persians will also have height advantage while your units are down in the water. (TIP: turn on the height map to see where the northern ford is. Areas with no height cannot be entered into).

Get your phalanx units over first as fast as possible and try to take out those enemy cavalry. If they leave their archers open, go for them. Archers are lethal because you never get a retaliation against them. Also be aware of where Memnon is. He's the elite unit that will be very hard to take down. If he exposes his flank to you, you better get it while the getting is good.

This is pretty much the meat of the level. If you capture the flag in the middle, and still have turns left, go get that flag in the north. You should be in range of that Major Victory.

[image]local://upfiles/12386/Us538482648.jpg[/image]

DIEMAN -> RE: Granicus Strategy (2/2/2005 11:27:59 PM)

I use basically the same strategy, but with one variation: I place my slingers at a point near the river to the north of the main ford, and my archers to the south so that these units are loosely flanking my infantry lines. I use the height map to find the high ground and station my units there (ranged attacks usually fail when firing uphill). Once my archers/slingers are in position and my infantry is defending the crossing I unleash a barrage of missiles into the thickly massed Persian troops across the river. It takes a while for the cavalry to break through in the south--maybe 9 or 10 turns--which means my ranged units can inflict crippling damage on the main enemy force with zero Greek casualties. If I can't see the enemy, I fire into the fog of war as close to the flag as possible. This strategy can be used to take out the enemy archers, however they tend to return fire and usually deal more damage than they sustain. I concentrate on their cavalry at first, using fire arrows to light up Memnon if I get the opportunity.

driver -> RE: Granicus Strategy (2/3/2005 9:05:36 AM)

A strategy that worked for a major victory - move the entire army aside from the bow men and slingers across the southern ford - the cavalary bypasses the defending infantry unit and then waits and counter charges with great effect. The ranged attack units move to the middle of the map and across the river from the massed enemy units.

As the rest the units are slowly building to the south, your slingers and bow first take out the enemy bowmen and then start to pick off whoever is closer. The AI does not move units across the middle ford to attack so once you have finished off the ranged units of the enemy so you pick off enemy units at your leisure. By the time you have weakened and demoralized the enemy, all of your units are now prepared to attack and once your get through the first line of defense - units that your ranged units cannot attack, then it is a hot knife through butter. I hit Memnon with two lancer units and one infantry, he collapsed and major victory. Patience and a slow build up to the south were the key to my victory.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI