A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR

Cpl_Clegg -> A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/13/2005 5:07:18 AM)

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to the forums here, just joined up today after being led here by the game menu on SP:WaW. I just posted an introduction in the new members thread so if anyone is curious about me you can check it out. I recently started playing SP:WaW again after downloading and installing it again, and have been playing around with many of the scenarios with mixed results. After my first embaressing defeat I decided to enlist a little help from the gaming community and spent quite a while reading up on tactics, tips and tricks and AAR's. While this helped quite a bit and gave me immense food for thought, some of the posts were a little too vague and often left me with more questions than answers. So I came to the conclusion that it was best to give the long campaign a try as best I can and learn from my own mistakes along the way.

And so being a relative newbie at the game and reading the excellent posts of the various members here has spurred me to write an AAR/DAR from a novice's perspective during my first ever World War II Long Campaign. I intend it to chronicle the learning curve of a newbie, detailing my successes, my failures and also the lessons learned along the way. It is my hope that by doing so I can encourage you guys to read and respond with your 2 cents to help a struggling novice to come to grips with this excellent and most daunting of games, and make a friend or two among the members here while I'm at it. All posts are welcome, especially those offering critiques and/or sagely advice and I hope that you can keep your patience with a doddering newcomer and aid my education into the ancient and honorable art of War. First post coming soon!!

Orzel Bialy -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/13/2005 5:18:57 AM)

Welcome to the SPWAW community Cpl_Clegg. [8D]

Major_Mess -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/13/2005 8:57:50 AM)

Welcome aboard Corporal.

If I can offer some advice I would say start small, only use about 2K - 3K pts to select your force in the campaign.

Be patient on attack ................ recon recon recon, oh yeah - that "combined arms" thing really works

Watch the *Willy Meter* closely

Figure out how the artillery works

Don't get sucked into a PBEM game yet, that is a completely different level all together.

Spend more of your valuable time at your work reading through these forums, check out some of the links you'll see sprinkled throughout the postings .............. they're all good.

Cheers

Major Mess

robot -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/13/2005 4:08:02 PM)

Take your time dont hurry. Move a lot of one hex moves. In a long you have some where between 32 to 36 moves. Work on taking the front objectives. Dont worry about the rear ones. You can win by taking the front ones only and beating the crap out of the enemy. Time is on your side believe me. After taking all front VH then if time is left move on the rears again slowly. Above all have fun and we all look forward to your reports. Welcome aboard.

IBTyrone -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/13/2005 9:15:48 PM)

Hey Cpl_Clegg,

You might find it a good investment of your time to scan through the forums both here at over at the Depot. When I was first getting up to speed on the game, I went through every page on the forums looking for topics that might help me out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpl_Clegg
First post coming soon!!

Looking forward to it!

Cpl_Clegg -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/14/2005 12:41:00 AM)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, and for the advice too!! Nice to finally meet some other wargame nuts, makes a refreshing change to be able to use terms like "Indirect Fire" and "Mobile Reserve" in polite conversation without being stared at like I'm an extra in a Steven Spielberg production! I've chosen my core force and been given my first assignment so I'm going to make my first main post. Hope you guys jump in right after with your comments and suggestions.

Cheers!

Cpl_Clegg -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/14/2005 5:07:58 AM)

September 27 1939-Radom, Poland. The German High Command licks it's lips in anticipation of the final assault on Warsaw, the initial Blitzkrieg having driven the valiant Polish defenders back time and time again. The combined bombardment by air coupled with lightning fast tank movements give rise to a new kind of warfare. As the bombs fall ever closer, the future looks dim for Poland. Her beleaguered General's last hope is to counter-attack and pray they can drive the foreign invaders back from their lands. As they draw their plans and gather what strength remains to them, the sound of a thousand jackboots grows on the horizon as the Wehrmacht march steadily onward to Warsaw........

08:00 hours-Along the front. Orders filter down from Regiment, tracing their way through the chain of command to land at the feet of young Col Rittenhaus. "Expect counter-attack in battallion strength with Armored support in your sector. Air assets nil due to offensive operations elsewhere. Orders as follow: Hold until relieved. Reinforcements en route. Further instructions to follow". Simple orders, hold until relieved. Reinforcements en route. The Colonel didn't think so, however fervently he hoped he was wrong. Young and relatively inexperienced, he was a smart fellow who thought fast on his feet. So far the drive towards Warsaw had been relatively easy despite initial hiccups, and his unit had seen little action but the Poles were getting ever more desperate and he did not want to grow over confident nor complacent in his duty. The Colonel glances at his staff, their confidence plain upon their boyish faces. Captains Boettcher and Kauffman-Infantry commanders, Captain Wittmann-Battallion Artillery, Lieutenants Funck and Bauman, Remer and Achtzehn-Armored support commanders, all eager to close with the enemy. The Colonel wondered if their faces would still seem so young to him when they had had their fill of War. He had a fine cadre of officers under him, all had trained hard and each gave nothing less then their absolute best, he would expect nothing less from each this day. More than just his underlings, they were his comrades and friends and he had earned the respect of all, just as they had his. Whatever today brought he knew they would not falter, would not let him down and as the hour drew nearer, they made their plans and readied their defences. They would be ready when the time came, they would hold until relieved.

For my first long campaign I wanted to jump straight in to playing the German side and to start at the beginning in September '39. Having played with some of the scenarios, and having played as a few different nations, I wanted to start right at the outset of the War with the idea being that by the time my units are facing off against large Soviet Infantry groups with support from thickly armored T-34's they will have plenty of experience or at least as much as I can give them along the way. Having read so many different theories on choosing a core force, it's difficult as a newbie to know what to go for in terms of putting together a well mixed force. In the end I chose a force that included what most people agree are the essential ingredients for a good combined arms group.

1) Infantry
2) Armor
3) Artillery
4) Engineers
5) AA and AT
6) Recon

I fiddled with it a little to make the most of my 3100 points starting selection, trying different things until I was satisfied with my choices. Heres how I fared:

2 Infantry companies with MG34's, AT-R's and 50mm mortars
1 platoon of Engineers
2 Recon teams, each with 3 4 man squads
2 platoons of PzKpfw-Ib's
2 Platoons of PzKpfw-35(t)'s
2 platoons of SdKfz-10/4's for AA support
2 motorised AT gun sections with 37mm Pak36's and SdfKz-4's as movers
2 4 gun 75mm Howitzer batteries
1 med mortar battery, 6 81mm tubes in all
2 Fwd Obs
1 sniper

I went for cheap units because I wanted to get a bit of everything in there for a balanced option and I could then upgrade everything as new tech becomes available. This used 3099 of my 3100 points so I reckon I got a good bang for buck with my choices but it still remains to be seen whether I can direct them on the battlefield correctly. But at least I've got my core choice done to what I think are reasonable standards, now comes the learning curve I mentioned earlier.

My first assignment is a defend mission in Radom, at 16:00hours in the afternoon under full visibility and before I know what I've done I've spent all my support points on fixed fortifications in the form of light pillboxes and MG bunkers. Without stopping to get some air support my head swims with visions of the enemy falling under withering artillery and MG fire sending them hurrying back to their lines soundly beaten. After doing this I realised that they are sure to roll me with lots of infantry advancing under some big guns with armor support and that those points would have been better spent on some air cover to take out their arty support and bomb their infantry to hell. Oh well, no matter and still full of gusto I begin to deploy my units.

The map is a smallish one and I'm defending along a series of forested ridges and hilltops with a good field of fire to the front. A river enters the map on my right flank at the limit of my deployment and heads toward the opposite side of the map, exiting on the limit of his deployment. There are three large groups of objective hexes on the left and middle of my line and two smaller objective groups way back in the rear. So it's at these rear objectives I place my HQ surrounded by my Howitzers and my 81mm mortars with both AA platoons close by. I group most of my infantry platoons around the main body of objective hexes, with their MG's and light mortars along the ridgeline behind them, with pillboxes and mg bunkers behind those to bring plenty of firepower down upon the enemy. On my right flank where the river enters is less heavily defended, a platoon from B Co and my engineers are dug in on the hilltop along with my sniper, 2 mg bunkers and all of my AT guns at their rear. The terrain here is harsher than my left flank, and more easily defended so I figure he'll push ahead toward the main group of hexes and straight into my main force. I've split my armor into 2 groups, mixing a platoon of each type together and keeping them as a mobile reserve back from the infantry but close enough to plug any holes that appear in the line. I put a Fwd Obs with each infantry position to call out co-ordinates for some close support artillery fire, and since I wasn't sure what to do with them I grouped my Recon teams around the Fwd Observers to provide a little extra fire if needed. I also stuck in some mines at the very front, along my line to catch out any tanks that escape my big guns.

After this I sit back for a short while and go over things as I see them happening in my mind. I'm expecting lots of infantry with tanks to attack the main group of objectives where the terrain is more favorable for an assault, and plenty of arty fire to suppress my defences. I reckon I've got enough firepower grouped to deal with the advancing force plus I've got my tanks in reserve, ready to charge wherever they are needed. My artillery is secure in the rear, their long barrels pre sighted over every inch of the map ready to rain death from above. I'm quite pleased with myself at this stage and optimistic about the whole affair. All that is left is to start the battle and see how my choices affect the outcome.

More to follow soon.

IBTyrone -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/14/2005 5:17:01 PM)

Nice post, Cpl_Clegg. A well organized and thoughtful explanation.

quote:

My first assignment is a defend mission in Radom, at 16:00hours in the afternoon under full visibility and before I know what I've done I've spent all my support points on fixed fortifications in the form of light pillboxes and MG bunkers. Without stopping to get some air support my head swims with visions of the enemy falling under withering artillery and MG fire sending them hurrying back to their lines soundly beaten.

Rarely have I found in the long campaign to be allowed air support. Most of the time you don't get any so you have to rely upon artillery to help break their morale. The biggest benefit when you do have planes is for recon since they can see enemy units as they fly over the battlefield.

The pillboxes and bunkers are great on defense. The AI wastes a lot of energy trying to take them out which ends up reducing your core casualties.

quote:

More to follow soon.

Looking forward to it!

Goblin -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/14/2005 7:25:57 PM)

Good stuff Clegg!!!

Goblin

Riun T -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/14/2005 7:38:01 PM)

Great post Cpl, I read it twice and did'nt catch the full whether{ rain,cloudy,clear}and vis in hexes ,I like to know to make a better picture. Either than that again GREAT POST RT

Cpl_Clegg -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/15/2005 1:50:29 AM)

Thanks for the comments guys, am up to turn 9 and doing pretty good. Will post all the details soon including weather, visibility etc!

robot -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/15/2005 3:22:40 PM)

Like your style Cpl. Is some very interesting reading. Am waiting in anticipation for more.

Cpl_Clegg -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/18/2005 8:17:31 AM)

Col. Rittenhaus allowed himself a slight smile as the runner delivered the news of the enemy's defeat. "Send word to the line commanders, tell them well done. Ask them to join me when they have seen to their men." "Jawohl, Herr Kommander" the runner snapped a smart salute and clicked his heels sharply before spinning and taking off. The Polish rout had been absolute, and sorely beaten they crept back towards their lines to count their dead and lick their wounds. There would be no valiant sally from the keep to drive the inaders back, this time. The road to Warsaw was open now, and the last of the battered Polish army was all that stood between the Wehrmacht and victory. As the guns fell silent, and the dead were carried away the Colonel wondered how many days of fire lay ahead down that road. Days like today, when men rent their furies upon each other in the deadly dance of war. When the earth heaved and shook with the thunder of the guns, and when the skies grew dark and heavy with the oily smoke of battle. And when the grass ran red with the blood of young warriors, and innocence was forerver lost. The evening drew around the land as men busied thenselves among the hilltops, and the day slowly slipped into soft autumn twilight. The roar of gunfire gave way to the sound of laughter and singing again, as the soldiers of 2nd Battalion, 316th Infanterie Regiment toasted their success. Their commander listened to their revelry, and allowed his men their merriment. All had proved their courage today, and each had earned his fun. The Colonel turned and left them, his mind on the task ahead. "The way is long and hard" he thought "and there will be many days of hardship and sorrow, and days of blood and fire, but tonight we celebrate victory. Tonight we sleep with glory".

So my first battle turned out pretty well, despite some hairy moments and the men of 2nd Battallion, 316 Infanterie Regiment beat the Polish attackers in ten turns flat with very few casualties. My initial deployment put 2 platoons of Infantry out the left flank just below the extreme edge of a series of long forested ridges and hilltops, with MG's and mortars, light pillboxes and MG bunkers behind them on the ridgeline. I had pretty much the same in the centre, the fortifications just behind 3 platoons of Infantry on the hilltop right in the middle of my lines. To the front of my left flank and my centre was a long stretch of open ground which met a river at the limit of the enemies deployment zone. Just behind my units here was the main three groups of objective hexes and was where I figured the enemy would concentrate his attack. The right flank was a hilly area with rough ground infront of it which met a river not far from the limit of my deployment. Along here I grouped one platoon of Infantry, dug in on the hill with my engineers and 4 AT guns behind them. I had 2 MG bunkers here also to chew up then enemies squads before they got too close. The right flank was less favourable terrain for the enemy to attack so I didn't worry too much about it, instead concentrating my firepower on the left and centre positions. I kept my Armor slightly back from my main position, out of sight but close enough if needed. I reckoned the AI would roll straight for the main hex groups and the rear ones would be safe for positioning my arty and my AO HQ unit. This turned out to be completely wrong as right on turn one my rear hex area was shelled by an intense bombardment from the enemies 100mm howitzers, suppressing my own batteries for the next two turns. It wasn't a major concern since I had intended to keep my arty quiet until the Polish units had almost reached my lines. I moved nothing on turn one, I just awaited the AI's initial attack. After the Polish move I could see a couple of armor units way off in the distance on my right flank, no visible infantry yet and no bombardment either. This quickly changed and turned into a major assault on my right, lots of Infantry in company strength with Engineer platoons supported by mixed tank units and Cavalry. There was a similar if slightly smaller force approaching the bridge that crossed the river in the centre of the map. I began to panic at that stage, having placed most of my force on the left to protect the valuable objective hexes. I'd been counting on the AI to mount an attack there, and left my right flank weaker as a result. At this stage I still hadn't fired a shot at the enemy, and he was edging closer to my weaker flank in large numbers. If his armor could dodge the heavy pillbox rounds, and it eventually did when it got closer, and suppress my Infantry enough there was a good chance he could force my units back and opening a gap for his infantry to exploit. I studied things a bit before planning my next move and decided to let my AT guns have a pop at the armor as it came into range and see how they fared against the lightly armored W37's and as the Polish moved up they knocked out 4 of them before they fired a single shot at my troops, with the pillboxes having similar results in the centre. As his infantry approached they drew murderous fire from my MG's and bunkers, causing many casualites among his squads. I picked my targets and took down 3 platoon HQ's and one of his supporting 46mm GL teams with crossfirng MG's. I was off to a pretty good start, although having made the mistake to picking the wrong flank to concentrate my defences my units were performing well and keeping the enemy pinned. His big guns pounded my front positions, and my troops started to feel the suppression rising. Two squads from the centre bolted from their position with light casualties, and the rest lay pinned in their foxholes. His Infantry units were still 5-6 hexes from my own lines, so I had at most two turns to rally my boys and get em back to their position. I decided to lay a smokescreen three hexes in front of the centre and right flank to reduce the accuracy of the enemy batteries by blocking his line of sight, but it also had the added advantage of allowing me to ambush his units as they emerged from the smoke right into some concentrated rifle, mortar and machine gun fire. At this point Regiment managed to direct 4 Henschel strike planes our way to bolster our defences, so we could expect them to arrive within a couple of turns.

Turn 4 brought more casualties among our centre Infantry units, but they held their ground and rallied reasonably well, just barely holding off the Polish attack. On the right flank, two of the pillboxes just behind my centre position destroyed another platoon of enemy tanks, this time 3 TKS units and a Vickers 3jw. Their infantry was drawing nearer despite heavy fire from my MG's, their weight of numbers keeping their attack going. After the AI moved my smoke rounds arrived, all pretty much on target. This bought me some time to reduce suppression and get my units back into place to ambush the advancing enemy next turn. The smokescreen fell right in front of the attacking Infantry, and I followed this up with a call for all batteries to open fire on the enemy next turn. My ambush worked, and every Polish squad that appeared was cut to pieces in seconds and either pushed back or destroyed. The Polish first wave was ineffective, the Infantry pinned under heavy fire with high casualites and their armor lying in smoking ruins across the battlefield. Despite their initial retreat, my units were holding on extremely well and had suffered pretty light casualties among the squads. The AI was at this stage sending in his second wave, this time with heavier tanks, 7-TP's, TKS and Vickers units and they rumbled ever nearer. My arty bombarded the crap out of the retreating Infantry, and generally gave them a hard time as they fled routed. My air arrived and was immediately put to work strafing the enemy, inflicting heavy casualties and knocking out three enemy tanks when they attacked on the following turn. His second wave arrived at the centre of my lines, enveloping the end of the ridge despite constant and heavy fire from pretty much everything I had that could shoot at them. My units were pinned down, and his reserve armor was escaping the big guns of my pillboxes and AT guns and beginning to harass my Infantry. The right flank looked about the same, with tanks hosing my units with cannon and MG fire. His baterries added their voice to the debate once again with suppressing fire on my hilltop positions. About 2-3 tank platoons with a mixed company of Infantry and Engineers had hit the centre, with almost the same simultaneously hitting the right flank and it looked like they were beginning to force a break in my lines, despite the initial attrition. It was time to bring the full weight of my firepower to bear, and my Panzers rumbled their way to aid my beleagured troops. My arty fired non stop, causing further mayhem and the air strikes continued unabated. On the Polish move on turn 8, his tanks held their ground and tried to take out my fixed fortifications instead of ripping through my Infantry. Had they done this, bypassed the strongpoints and taken the high ground it would have been possible to beat back my own armor advancing from around the flanks of his attack. I was lucky the AI didn't fully exploit this as I would have done, but he did bring up his infantry further to support his tank units attack. This proved equally fruitless, as my Panzer 35(t)'s completely flanked his units destroying every last one along with my AT guns and pillboxes guns, and driving off his Infantry with Ib's in support despite losing 3 of the heavier tanks to mechanical problems. My Infantry units rallied and joined in the move and brushed aside his weak follow up counterattack easily to completely break Polish force morale and win the day by the end of turn 9.

Everything said and done I was completely chuffed with the performance of my units and the way I handled them. I learned some valuable lessons about artillery support and the effective use of AT guns and fixed fortifications. These units proved invaluable and instrumental in the defeat of the attacking enemy. My infantry were pressed hard during the battle but for the most part held their ground until the Armor could hit the enemy at the flanks and devastate the Polish tanks and their Infantry. All in all, it was a good first battle and I'm pleased with the result. It's given me a great boost to my confidence and fired my blood for further action. So it's time to rest a refit my units, throw in some upgrades and get on to the next battle.

Final Score and Casualty list:

Germany:5398-Decisive Victory

Poland:87-Crushing Defeat

German Casualties:27 men

Polish Casualties:637 men, 2 artillery, 57 afv's

Weather:Clear

Vis in hexes:59

Riun T -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/18/2005 10:15:26 PM)

beutiful simply beutiful.

Poopyhead -> RE: A Newbie's Perspective-First Long Campaign:Germany Sept '39 (2/22/2005 8:30:40 PM)

Good job! When I read "So it's at these rear objectives I place my HQ surrounded by my Howitzers and my 81mm mortars...", I cringed and thought "Incoming!". Never make it too easy for the AI (or any opponent)to find your A0. See you in Moscow.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI