The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

KG Erwin -> The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/7/2005 4:17:04 AM)

The rarity function in force selections was meant to balance PBEM play, but in reality it just doesn't work. The setting I recommend is "true troop ON/rarity OFF". What this does is increase the point values of "elite" units, but it doesn't "red out" units like platoon leaders and such that the "rarity ON" feature has a nasty tendency to do.

For players of long campaigns, I recommend the same setting.

Svennemir -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/8/2005 12:46:58 AM)

Especially when playing against the AI!

Unless you like fighting the "51st mortar division", or possibly the "3rd truck regiment" [:)]

Goblin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/8/2005 2:14:00 AM)

Don't forget the "Tanks? We don't need no stinking tanks!" 1st Infantry Regiment.[;)]

Goblin

Veroporo -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/8/2005 5:23:35 PM)

And my favourite "2nd Armoured only battalion", when no infantry is available. (Has chances on some countries).

Sturmpionier -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/9/2005 7:15:40 PM)

Has anyone everused the rarity feature & thought "Wow, that was cool; I'm glad I had thatfeature turned on?" Anyone?

Goblin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/10/2005 1:56:03 AM)

I said that, and then used it. Once.[:'(]

Incidently, Sturm, you have one of the coolest avatars I've seen.[:)]

Goblin

Sturmpionier -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/11/2005 7:10:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

I said that, and then used it. Once.[:'(]

Incidently, Sturm, you have one of the coolest avatars I've seen.[:)]

Goblin

Danke. I found it with some other pics when I was looking to change avatars. The finalists were the one I use now & an overweight, balding slob in a suit of armor w/ a lance. It was a tough choice to pick the right one that "represented" me best.

One of my fav moments on the forums was when WB told me I needed to go to the dentist.

BTW. I used rarity once as well; & it sucked, sucked, sucked, sucked, and so on.

Toivo -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/15/2005 9:49:36 PM)

Yes well sometimes I could think : "Oh Mein Gott das is zo wonderful that my opponent can't purchase those pesky ATGs against my Panthers! ja!" when I advance in Kursk but really - just as originally said it doesn't work.
No "feature" could be as effective as opponent who does not buy battalion of King Tigers with rocketlaunchers attached as arty. Meaning it's all about good gamers and negotiation (more or less historical realism etc).

Goblin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/15/2005 10:21:17 PM)

You summed it up, Toivo!!

Goblin[:)]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/16/2005 1:07:03 AM)

Ok, thanks, guys. You confirmed what I had long suspected.

Alby -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/17/2005 1:22:31 AM)

The rarity feature was a good idea, but as Gunny stated, it just doesnt work right.

so why am I restating what he already stated that I stated he stated[sm=crazy.gif]

[sm=00000946.gif]

Goblin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/17/2005 2:03:30 AM)

Meds reminder again, Alby.[:)]

Goblin

Alby -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/17/2005 3:32:47 AM)

[sm=00000734.gif]

Ur Killin Me!!
LMFAO!!!!

Goblin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/17/2005 1:21:16 PM)

[sm=kiss.gif]

Kevin E. Duguay -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/18/2005 7:49:15 AM)

I don't get any of this.[&:][:D]

Goblin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/18/2005 8:18:25 AM)

Thats because you forgot your meds too, Kev...[:'(]

Goblin[:D]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/18/2005 3:26:42 PM)

Uh oh, here comes Nurse Ratched: "Morning, gentlemen. It's medication time. Please line up." [X(]

Goblin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/18/2005 6:42:40 PM)

[:D]

KNomad -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/19/2005 12:55:11 AM)

LOL - I'm self-medicated. [8D]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (3/19/2005 1:17:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KNomad

LOL - I'm self-medicated. [8D]

Hmm, with rarity OFF? (Ahem) [sm=party-smiley-012.gif]

Seriously, though, the OOB teams of the past did their best to determine rarity factors, but I never thought it was worth the effort. However, one of the best things the guys did was altering the AI purchases to conform to some sense of sanity. The trade-off was sacrificing some player-usable formations for the AI "unknowns".

I've said it many times before, and the guys at the Depot have generally agreed that SPWaW needs two different OOB sets--one for vs AI play, and one for human vs human play. I applaud the Depot's efforts to correct some of the errors that crept into the "final" 8.3 OOBs, and my personal OOBs have adapted many of their changes.

That being said, I also applaud the efforts by the community to assist and educate new players to the intricacies (and quirks) of the game. Even after five years of playing the successive versions, I'm STILL learning. It DOES have a steep learning curve--after all, the pdf manual (in printed form) goes well over 100 pages, including all the tutorials and such.

Ok, it's time for my medication. [sm=party-smiley-012.gif] Protect your flanks and watch out for your buddies.

Maciste -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (5/24/2005 9:36:30 PM)

Trouble is, when playing against the AI with TRUE TROOP off, you use to face the "ARMORED ITALIAN ONSLAUGHT THAT NEVER WAS" or the "AFRIKA KORPS WHOSE LIGHTER TANKS ARE PZKWIV-G" (not to mention the WHOLE ITALIAN POPULATION MOWED DOWN WITH MACHINE GUNS) [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

P.S: By the way, the AUTO DEPLOY never worker, either

Goblin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (5/24/2005 11:54:36 PM)

Leave True Troop ON, and Rarity OFF. You will have better results, Maciste.[;)]

Goblin

Maciste -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (5/25/2005 7:01:40 PM)

Thanks, Goblin, for raising my spirit. I was beginning to think that even Ritchie was a better desert commander than me [:D][:D][:D]

Goblin -> RE: The Rarity Feature: Turn it OFF (5/25/2005 11:34:40 PM)

[:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI