Star Bases (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3

Ghostbear -> Star Bases (2/4/2002 10:37:00 PM)

All, As a long-time player of 4X games, I would like to offer this idea to the designers. Star Bases. I would like to see some moderate additions to the resource gathering to increase complexity, but mostly to increase the opportunity for conflict. By allowing a Star Base (which could be as simple as a non-mobile starship) to be deployed in a resource system, you could shorten freighter routes (though you might want to have a freighter from the SB to a colony world). You could allow a forward base of operations with supplies and repair (maybe only repair of components, not replacement). There would be diplomatic repercussions, deploying an SB near an opponents space would be seen as aggressive. Also, it should create for some interesting battles that don't have to rip up a planet. Comments anyone?

Vaaish -> (2/4/2002 11:10:00 PM)

Use colonies to shorten routes. They would serve the same purpose as the Star Bases's

Ghostbear -> (2/5/2002 9:10:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Vaaish:
Use colonies to shorten routes. They would serve the same purpose as the Star Bases's
Shortening freighter routes was only one potential use of a star base. The reason I would like star bases is that establishing a colony as a forward base for an attack is (and should be) somewhat counter productive due to the expense of establishing a colony as well as its vulnerability during its early stages. A star base would let you establish a presence without having to commit for eternity.

Vaaish -> (2/6/2002 12:24:00 AM)

A star base will be just as counter productive if you use that reasoning. They are probably going to be larger than the Cruisers, have about as much forepower as a colony so that they can actually do more than roll over and die when a few enemy ships attack, and they will probably cost the same amount as colonies. Of course nothing is free so they will require upkeep just like starships and that upkeep will probably end up costing just about as much if not more than the colony. If you have that much money to throw around just so you don't have to defend a colony, they might work, but what you are talking about is basically a space colony. Over all there doesn't seem to be much point in creating this since it serves the same purpose as the colony world.

madmax88 -> (2/6/2002 2:29:00 AM)

Are you saying a Starbase that needs to orbit around a planet (cuz then i agree with vaaish, just build a colony!) or one with limited propulsion that is produced from a world and then moved as an outpost. Something with 14-15 slots that can pack quite a punch, and used for stacking cash...! Basically, you're talking about adding a type of ship over the cruiser... the starbase.

Ghostbear -> (2/12/2002 9:58:00 PM)

I wrote the original post when I had only played a few games. Then, I thought that in the early game, where you're clawing up the tech tree and colonies are very expensive and take a long time to mature into something useful, a starbase would be a very effective addition to the game. 1) You can already produce mines in claimed systems, so building a starbase shouldn't be that difficult. 2) Having ships limp home, all the way across the galaxy took a long time, so it would make sense to have a forward base. 3) Along the same lines, a star base poised close to an alien civilizations major resource worlds would add an interesting "threat" to them. 4) Having a cruiser-sized base in a resource system (in the early game) would be an effective deterrent, if you added the ability for a starbase to increase resource collection in that system AND shorten freighter routes, there would be an economic advantage to having them as well. I still think this is all true and SBs would be an interesting addition. The REAL problem is that the game breaks down at the end of the tech trees when it becomes very easy to establish colonies because you have buckets of money. Also, ship speeds (including jump gates) make the galaxy very small and force the game to a bloody (and to me, unsatisfying) conclusion. GB

BP -> (2/14/2002 11:16:00 PM)

I agree, I think starbases would be a fabulous addition. If just added as another (non-moving) ship class (maybe make all weapons/shields/armor 360 degree) they could be introduced in different sizes too, say "listening post" (scoutish-sized) all the way up to full starbase.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI