Any good WWI strategy games? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

riley555a -> Any good WWI strategy games? (4/12/2005 4:48:49 AM)

Anyone know of any good WWI strategy games? Besides that piss-poor title "WWI: The great war"
(Don't take my word on how bad it is look at gamespots review http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/entente/index.html?q=WWI)

sol_invictus -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (4/12/2005 7:51:03 AM)

Guns of August is about the only show in town. Should be ready sometime next month.

riley555a -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (4/12/2005 10:08:02 AM)

Are there any screenshots etc available?

sol_invictus -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (4/12/2005 5:45:55 PM)

In a thread on this forum from a couple of months ago there are some screens.

riley555a -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (4/14/2005 4:02:49 AM)

Well that's a little vague [:'(]. Can you link me? I can't find it.

Rainbow7 -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (4/14/2005 5:56:18 AM)

The thread is called "December Update?". It's still on the first page of the forum.

sol_invictus -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (4/14/2005 6:58:58 AM)

riley, what's the problem, you want me to lead you there by hand.[:D] Sorry, was about to head out the door and didn't have time to search for it. Thanks for taking up the slack Rainbow.

riley555a -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (4/14/2005 7:26:47 AM)

[:D] Wasn't trying to be a jerk I was just hoping you'd know which one it was.

sol_invictus -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (4/14/2005 5:47:35 PM)

I know, just funning you back.[;)]

ptan54 -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (4/24/2005 8:59:27 PM)

If you like Hearts of Iron, there is a First World War mod for it. Not a game for everyone though, due to complexity and perceived bugginess (mostly resolved by patch 1.06c).

Mike Carroll -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (5/16/2005 8:38:57 PM)

If you have TOAW Century of Warfare there are two awesome WWI scenarios that cover the entire war, on a division scale and weekly turns. TOAW is weak in the naval game but it does have naval, land and air units.

Hanal -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (5/17/2005 2:32:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Carroll

If you have TOAW Century of Warfare there are two awesome WWI scenarios that cover the entire war, on a division scale and weekly turns. TOAW is weak in the naval game but it does have naval, land and air units.

The problem for me is that I have never been able to get TOAW Century of Warfare to play on my XP machine.......

wodin -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (5/17/2005 2:59:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

The problem for me is that I have never been able to get TOAW Century of Warfare to play on my XP machine.......

Really I got it working no problem. One of the TOAW games has problems but most people can get COW working on XP.

Try Windows compatibilty. There must be away around it.

Bossy573 -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (5/18/2005 1:57:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

I got it working as well but experienced annoying crashes in the large map scenarios. Never did figure it out. I may load it onto the new PC and try my luck again.

Mike Carroll -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (5/20/2005 4:34:05 PM)

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenarii/

Both Scenario's can be found at the above link. With these scenario's expect it to take up to 20 or 30 minutes to chug through the supply routine at the beginning of the turn. It may look like a crash but it is not, just a huge scenario processing a large amount of data.

Also both of the Strategic WWI scenarios are strictly PBEM. But you should have not problems finding an opponent. I am on Week 30 of Pierro's scenario and the Central Powers are stalemated on the Western Front but making great progress against Russia. This is a long-term game that has been going for 6 months now (about a turn a week). Kind of like playing WITP. But it has been very fun.

BlackVoid -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (7/8/2005 1:04:16 PM)

TOAW has some scenarios set in WW1.
(The Operational Art of War)

EUBanana -> RE: Any good WWI strategy games? (7/19/2005 2:02:21 PM)

Paradox's Victoria game (19th century) had a World War 1 scenario which was pretty good. The system for entrenchment is quite brutal, attacks with 1% efficiency and such. It manages to duplicate trench warfare quite accurately - I remember a war I started between the UK and USA in about 1870 which led to a huge trench system across the Canadian border...

Overall though Victoria isnt a pure wargame, its got social and industrial aspects too. Hearts of Iron is a wargame, Victoria is somewhere between HoI and Civilisation.

...Vicky is my fave Paradox game.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI