Sweden? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory

CushVA -> Sweden? (4/16/2005 12:41:31 AM)

Kind of a dumb question, but it's been a while since I've been to a history class. What role did Sweden play in the Napoleonic era? Seems like an interesting choice to include in the game, since most usually deal with Great Britain, France, Russia, Prussia, Austria-Hungry,etc....

Are they a difficult country to play as?

ericbabe -> RE: Sweden? (4/16/2005 2:06:49 AM)

They were in the 3rd, 6th, and 7th coalitions against Napoleon. They also had a war with Russia in 1808. Some business with Noraway in, if I recall correctly, 1813. Hard to say whether they are difficult to play -- I think it depends on the scenario.

Eric

Forward_March -> RE: Sweden? (4/17/2005 2:23:02 AM)

I've always felt dubious about making Sweden anything more than a minor power. Even in it's heyday it suffered from a small population. Gustavus Adolphus was forced to enlist Germans during his campaigns in Germany. Charles XII had a highly disciplined fighting force, but again, it was too small with little chance of becoming a large force that could contend with any of it's neighbors.

In 1808, the Russkies worked their way down the Baltic coast always able to replace their losses far easier than the Swedes ever could.

When Bernadotte took the Swedes afield in 1813, he was careful not to expose them to too much danger. A comic created at the times shows Bernadotte returning his flock of sheep to the king saying something like "I hadn't lost a one". The 20k-30k men he brought with him was the only army Sweden could field.

I believe that the only way Sweden could ever be more than a highly besieged or conquered minor was if the Swedish player was playing against an AI that made foolish moves with its forces, and that couldn't manage a battle at all.

Bavaria, Denmark, and Portugal have as much chance of being a major power.

sol_invictus -> RE: Sweden? (4/17/2005 6:00:41 AM)

True, Sweden should be a real thrill ride.[X(]

Forward_March -> RE: Sweden? (4/17/2005 10:30:06 AM)

Hmmmmm.... I think this bloke is a bit too desperate for a thrill.

Pippin -> RE: Sweden? (4/17/2005 8:00:28 PM)

This debate came up already in the EiA thread. I have not played Crown of Glory so I can not say… But in EiA it was pretty much agreed that Sweden would just end up as everyone’s bitch. Russia has nothing else better to do but to gobble up Sweden. And of course, Britain even with her weak beginning forces still would not have much trouble to land into Sweden and also gobble her up. If Russia is doing this already, then Britain will be pushed even harder for this just to prevent the big mother from getting all the goodies.

Even if you added unrealistic forces into Sweden to prevent her from getting raped on both sides, she still has problems. Britain has a lot of ships, can still hop in places and cause trouble. And even if someone was willing to ally with Sweden, what is she going to do. Walk over water and invade Britain?

I can understand fighting Sweden in a tutorial but… God help the Swedes trying to fight anything worth fighting for.

U2 -> RE: Sweden? (4/17/2005 8:20:10 PM)

Sweden as "everyone's bitch" and "raped" [X(] Nice to read as a Swede [:D]

sol_invictus -> RE: Sweden? (4/18/2005 6:21:53 AM)

OUCH! No love for the Swedes in this game. I think after you have played a few games with the "big boys" that Sweden might be a fun diversion; if only trying to survive and grab a few crumbs. Just think of poor Austria; bitch slapped every few years.[X(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI