I need some computer help here (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

DamoclesX -> I need some computer help here (6/5/2005 4:31:44 AM)

OKay, here is the deal, I moved to a new place for the summer and its really hot here, not only hot, but muggy and low air movement.

My computer has been running around 42C with no load and 55+ at high load, my computer trips out at 55c and everything starts slowing down so 55 is kind of the max temp.

The thing is, my computer is not exactly a slouch for cooling, I"m using a thermaltak aftermarket case and 5 case fans.

I also have an aftermarket zalmak? pure copper heatsink it's rated as one of the best.

The problem is its not close to enough Ive already had to underclock my system just to stop it from tripping out and shutting down.

The questions I have is, would a water cooling solution solve any issues? or am I goign to have to look into something more extream, whenever I start modeling or working with psd files I trip it out in a matter of minutes.. its getting a bit out of control.

Platoonist -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/5/2005 4:58:31 AM)

On hot days I've noticed the fan(s)on my computer just roars apparently trying to compensate for the extra heat. Oddly enhough I found that moving up a 16" box fan behind my chair and directing it to blow air toward the computer's vents caused the fan to kick down in tempo after a few minutes. Just had to put up with a substantial draft at foot level. Don't know if the computer was running any cooler but it sure was quieter.

RBWhite -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/5/2005 5:06:56 AM)

DamoclesX

I'm not up on my Celsius, but I know 55 is HOT. If you have high heat and high humdity it doesn't matter how top of the line your fan and heatsink are. Your going to need A/C.

Rick White

ravinhood -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/5/2005 5:37:43 AM)

Amazing, I have (1) fan for my computer, 2 cdroms, 2 hard-drives, Nvidia 5900 Ultra video card 1 gig ram and I never have heat problems. Could be that material you put between the heat sink and the processor is bad, gone, dissapated, just guessing. I forget what it's called it's some gray sticky stuff that apparently transfers heat from your processor to your heat sink. I'm also using a 450 watt power supply.

That is strange though with five fans having issues with heat and I live in Texas, no place is hotter and muggier than where I live. Temp in the 90's to 100's and the humidity 110 on the really scorchers.

chief -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/5/2005 6:34:50 AM)

DamoclesX
Look inside the box and check for cables that could be blocking the air flow to the CPU, if you have flat cables you might even try going to Round ones...Good Luck, also check and see if you have fans pulling hot air out, if they are all pushing air in thats no help. Just a thought. The key is Airflow in, over, and out of the box.

SemperAugustus -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/5/2005 8:48:27 AM)

I had the same problem, I simply left the case open, which allowed more air to reach the fans

rhondabrwn -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/5/2005 9:18:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Amazing, I have (1) fan for my computer, 2 cdroms, 2 hard-drives, Nvidia 5900 Ultra video card 1 gig ram and I never have heat problems. Could be that material you put between the heat sink and the processor is bad, gone, dissapated, just guessing. I forget what it's called it's some gray sticky stuff that apparently transfers heat from your processor to your heat sink. I'm also using a 450 watt power supply.

That is strange though with five fans having issues with heat and I live in Texas, no place is hotter and muggier than where I live. Temp in the 90's to 100's and the humidity 110 on the really scorchers.

It's called "Thermal Compound" or "Thermal Paste" and it's a "must" with high performance heat sinks to replace the standard thermal pad that they ship with. Arctic Silver has always had a good reputation. Here's a link:

Arctic Silver at NewEgg.Com

I'd try this first before investing in an expensive water cooled system. I also recommend the box fan solution to improve air cirulation within the room. Durng the summer my computer room gets blazing hot and my temp goes up 18 degrees on the CPU (though still comfortably within operating specs for my AMD 2400+ CPU with standard AMD heatsink and artic silver thermal paste. My box fan is a livesaver for both the computer and myself!

Hope this helps!

Brigz -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/5/2005 8:05:34 PM)

I am honestly not trying to by funny or cute, but don't you guys have air-conditioning up there in Canada? Wouldn't a relatively cheap in window a/c unit be a lot cheaper than some of your other "extreme" solutions? Besides, even if you solve your cpu heat problem, how can you get any work done sitting in front of a warm computer when it's so hot and humid?

Again, I'm honestly being serious. If you can afford all those other "cooling" accessories, wouldn't air-conditioning make a lot more sense? Not only will it keep your computer cooler but it would make your work environment a lot more comfortable too.

DamoclesX -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/5/2005 8:14:33 PM)

LOL

Thanks for all the suggestions I"m going to get on checking them out right now.

The thing with air- conditioning is I"m renting this place right now and there is NO WAY to fit it into any of the windows down here without knocking them larger.. so i'm kind of screwed.

Maby I could find some sort of unit that just circulates the air in the room and conditions it(im not exactly an air-conditioning expert lol)

rhondabrwn -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/5/2005 11:32:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DamoclesX

LOL

The thing with air- conditioning is I"m renting this place right now and there is NO WAY to fit it into any of the windows down here without knocking them larger.. so i'm kind of screwed.

Maby I could find some sort of unit that just circulates the air in the room and conditions it(im not exactly an air-conditioning expert lol)

I'm in a similar situation - rented house with casement windows that won't take an A/C unit without modification. It's really hot here in Bloomington, IN today and my CPU temp is running at 125 degrees today which is as hot as I've seen it.

Marc von Martial -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/6/2005 12:47:50 PM)

Hey Jason, what kind of processor do you have? Is 55°C the CPU temperature (which is actually not that hot if itīs an AMD) or is it the case temeprature? Did youcheck if your BIOS has a "max temperature" set? You could increase that to whatever the real max temperature for the CPU is.

Give your complete computer a good cleaning. A lot of times itīs dust that is increasing the temperature on some components. Since itīs muddy and wet there you maybe have some static building up too.

Just opening the case side is nonsense. A. it cripples the cooling circuit b. the noise increases a lot and c. your computer now EATS dust [;)]

RBWhite -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/6/2005 2:18:49 PM)

DamoclesX

There are A/C units that don't require window installation, per say.

Home Depot or Lowes or whatever big box store you have in the area should have free standing A/C units that require only the window to discharge the hot air from the condenser out side through a 6 inch hose.

I think you can either rent or buy them.

A common name for one model is called "Move and Cool" units.

SemperAugustus -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/6/2005 2:49:13 PM)

Opening the case worked for me though, its straightforward to test. If it works then you don't need to do much more. If it doesn't work then its simple to try something else.
Dust problems depend on how clean your appartment/house is and how many dust sources you have (carpets, pets etc). A working cooling circuit really depends on how the computer is assembled, I wouldn't do it with a blade server which is designed as a unit, unlike ordermade computers. The cooling circuit is obviously not working, it would be working otherwise.

Zakhal -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/6/2005 3:21:02 PM)

My sisters computer (presscot-celeron) runs at 60C no load and goes up to 75C when on load (burning cd etc). If updating the bios wont help, all i can do is send the mobo and cpu back to the shop.

We even tried changing the broken stock cooler it came with to a quality copper one but it didnt help at all.

sysrkm -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/6/2005 4:55:50 PM)

Hey DamoclesX,

I just wanted to follow up on what Rhondabrwn said. She's right, thermal paste will help a lot, and while I haven't used Arctic Silver, that brand is well respected by the over clockers and constructors rank and file. I used to build a lot of AMD systems and a high quality thermal paste, like Arctic Silver, or what I use, Cooler Master, and both will work to reduce your operating temps quite a bit.

One more thing you'll want to do when you remove that thermal pad is make sure you get a VERY CLEAN AND SMOOTH surface to put the paste on. I use an old fashion, single edge razor blade (yeah, stores still sell them) to scrape it off, followed up by a good rubbing with a LINT FREE cotton cloth (the kind sold for cleaning monitor screens) to remove any residue. The cleaner and smoother the surface, the better heat transfer you'll receive. You'll probably have to repeat the process two or three times.

Good luck!

Regards,

Rob

DamoclesX -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/8/2005 12:07:47 AM)

Here is irony, its been about +12 here for the last three days and wet!! So I dont know if anything I did will have a difference.
I clean it out totaly, got some higher cmf fans and moved/wrapped some cables to keep them out of the way, I have a 65$ heatsink now and a 100+cmf freaking 120mm fan on it hooked to my fan controller.. not to mention 1 110 intake and another 110 outtake fans... plus a few other fans to control air movment

if this cant do it I"m going to have to look into serious water cooling / water conditioning systems.

Thanks for all the help guys, it really helped out and ya the heatsink+thermalgrease was also an issue so I fixed that too.

You guys rock.

rhondabrwn -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/8/2005 12:54:20 AM)

You're very welcome!

And I got that very good tip about the portable air conditioners too!

Help others and it always comes back to you [:)]

Cmdrcain -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/8/2005 1:18:43 AM)

quote:

LOL

Hummm...

That means no Central Air cond/Heat system?

I live in Florida, a Place that gets Hot indeed and is warm year round, I get lots of you Canadiands here in Winter [:D][:D]

We have Central Air, I keep my PC room's door closed so the cool air doesn't simply move out through door, I have a desk fan, which can circulate the air moving air from behind Monitor and the tower case (its on desk not floor) so hot air from case fan outlet doesn't stay around case but circulates.

If you don't have A/C you need likely to take case cover off and also use a Fan or more to circulate the air.

However without any true Air condittioning your still going to be warm.

As to Humidity, you could keep room closed, use fans to move air and run a room de humidifier.

I suggest if you get another place or look for one, you should see how PC friendly it might be.

If all goes ok we are going to be selling and moving then to a new house, it has TWO separate Central Air setups, downstairs and a second for upstairs ;-)

Thats Florida for You..

Cmdrcain -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/8/2005 1:21:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Hey Jason, what kind of processor do you have? Is 55°C the CPU temperature (which is actually not that hot if itīs an AMD) or is it the case temeprature? Did youcheck if your BIOS has a "max temperature" set? You could increase that to whatever the real max temperature for the CPU is.

Give your complete computer a good cleaning. A lot of times itīs dust that is increasing the temperature on some components. Since itīs muddy and wet there you maybe have some static building up too.

Just opening the case side is nonsense. A. it cripples the cooling circuit b. the noise increases a lot and c. your computer now EATS dust [;)]

Well its a good point but for a temp solution till otherwise opening a case can help.

He might also consider additional Fan/outlets, I've seen cases with Rear fans, Front Fans, And also Side Fans all together...

Marc von Martial -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/8/2005 10:47:21 AM)

quote:

if this cant do it I"m going to have to look into serious water cooling / water conditioning systems.

Water cooling systems wonīt get your unit any cooler (unless youīre willing to invest some serious money). Theyīre mostly for the "noise reduction" fraction.

Iīm buffled you didnīt have thermal grease between the CPU cooler and the CPU. No grease normaly simply wrecks the CPU after a while. But be carefull, too much grease has the opposite effect. It should only be a really really thin film.

If you have any other questions regarding cooling etc. just drop me a line, you have my email [;)]

Marc von Martial -> RE: I need some computer help here (6/8/2005 10:52:08 AM)

quote:

He might also consider additional Fan/outlets, I've seen cases with Rear fans, Front Fans, And also Side Fans all together...

Actually that's the recommend cooling circuit by AMD.

1 - 2 frontal fans.
2 rear fans (itīs better to suck the air out of the case then to blow it in; dust).
1 side fan to suck warm air from the hardrives / graphic card area

And a really important thing is a power unit with two fans (the more expensiver ones have this by default). The normal power unit has one outtake at the back, the better ones have laos one at the bottom of the unit. And exactly that one is what helps most in your cooling strategy. The bottom fan of the power unit normally sits right there where the CPU is, the spot where itīs hottest. This fan alone sucks so much hot air directly from the CPU area that it can drop the temperature by easily up to 10°C. Invest in good power units, itīs really worth it.

[image]local://upfiles/2152/A1A1DA8D4AF54E76B8740E4535346B8E.jpg[/image]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI