Problem running Pacific War (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers

Pacnut -> Problem running Pacific War (4/29/2001 4:45:00 PM)

Hi, I don't now where else to turn so I will ask you guys. I downloaded the latest version of Pacific War ver 2.2 just yesterday. I am running a Windows 98 on a Pentium 3 at 600hz I have plenty of ram an huge hardrive and every time I try to start PacWar I get to the credits screen then it quits. In pure DOS mode it says: Bad Command and in Windows it ways the program has tried an illegal function. What can I do? I would love to be able to try this new version. Thanks

RickyB -> (4/29/2001 11:29:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Bobby: Hi, I don't now where else to turn so I will ask you guys. I downloaded the latest version of Pacific War ver 2.2 just yesterday. I am running a Windows 98 on a Pentium 3 at 600hz I have plenty of ram an huge hardrive and every time I try to start PacWar I get to the credits screen then it quits. In pure DOS mode it says: Bad Command and in Windows it ways the program has tried an illegal function. What can I do? I would love to be able to try this new version. Thanks
This sounds like the out of memory problem. Although you have plenty of RAM, the game is an old DOS one, where it is limited to the first 640k of RAM. You want the following two lines in your config.sys file: device=c:\windows\himem.sys dos=high,umb You do NOT want a line that has emm386 in it - that maps all of your extra RAM to ems memory using the first 640k, so it reduces the available amount, or if you have it, try adding noems to the end of it. To edit the file, go to a DOS prompt, do cd\ and enter, then type edit config.sys and enter. If you have an emm386 line, you can remove it by adding rem and a space to the beginning of it, then remove the rem if you find out other programs have problems. Good luck.

Christian Blex -> (4/30/2001 2:21:00 AM)

Or just start Windows in "Safety Mode", with just the necessary drivers loaded. Works quite good (the same with War in Russia).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI