Name this...treespiders first attempt (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

treespider -> Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 8:03:20 AM)

Name this...

[image]local://upfiles/15342/BF00BB2464BF4C49A82A2CBCABE97762.jpg[/image]

Brady -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 8:37:14 AM)

335[:)]

Nikademus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 9:15:40 AM)

A crime against Battleship beauty. Formerly a Colorado class battleship with pretty matching cage masts, The USS West Virginia was converted into a Tub-O class bombardment vessel after having been raised from the muck of Pearl Harbor

It is said that rather than suffer the same fate, USS Oklahoma broke her tow on the way back to the mainland and sank.

wild_Willie2 -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 9:20:45 AM)

Sorry, but Brady bead you to this picture about 6 months ago [;)]

hard to rival the "master"

Terminus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 12:32:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

The USS West Virginia was converted into a Tub-O class bombardment vessel after having been raised from the muck of Pearl Harbor

Tub-O class? And I thought I knew most US Navy ship classes. Never heard of that one![:D]

Speedysteve -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 1:47:58 PM)

Nice pic

treespider -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 2:15:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

335[:)]

Master Yoda, I am not worthy.

Brady -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 6:04:58 PM)

I too have used picks others have, it is hard not to some times[:)]

Nikademus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 6:38:46 PM)

Other Tub-O class bombardment vessels include:

USS Tennessee
USS California

Another lamentable class of vessels are the Vomit class shore support vessels.

This one ship class consists of the USS Nevada, formerly a Nevada class battleship of great beauty. Harshly treated at the hands of the Japanese at Pearl Harbor...this ill-fated ship was destined to be treated even more harshly at the hands of US dock workers when it came time for her to be repaired.

So bad was the conversion's effect that crews had to be regularily rotated due to eye strain and the ship was eventually banished to the Atlantic where the reduced visibility conditions would make her less of an eyesore.

After the war ended and volunteers were needed for the Atomic bomb testings, Nevada's name was the first to be put on the list. Coincidence? I tink not.......

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 6:56:30 PM)

I always thought the California, Tennessee and West Virginia rebuilds were very pleasing to the eye. Mean lookin'!

MkXIV -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 6:58:21 PM)

What about the USS Mississippi as AG 128? I always thought that was an interesting Mod, wish she could have that configuration in WITP [:)]

Nikademus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 7:02:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

I always thought the California, Tennessee and West Virginia rebuilds were very pleasing to the eye. Mean lookin'!

Yes well you drink too much Canadian beer too....so there ya GO! [:'(]

Nikademus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/28/2005 7:04:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MkXIV

What about the USS Mississippi as AG 128? I always thought that was an interesting Mod, wish she could have that configuration in WITP [:)]

Well admitedly the New Mexico's conversion from cage masts to Tower structure was done pleasantly so they do not fall into the butt ugly catagory. However the conversion to missile test ship was clearly a mistake. Missles make sissy sounding S-S-S-S-S noises when they launch. Compare that to the resounding, masculine ROAR of the big guns when they fire. BOOOOM!

Just say no to Missiles. say Yes to the big guns!

treespider -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/29/2005 12:27:49 AM)

I was actually more interested in the Advanced Base Sectional Dock than the WV. Afterall BB's are a dime a dozen...[;)]

keeferon01 -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/29/2005 12:41:20 AM)

quote:

A crime against Battleship beauty. Formerly a Colorado class battleship with pretty matching cage masts, The USS West Virginia was converted into a Tub-O class bombardment vessel after having been raised from the muck of Pearl Harbor

It is said that rather than suffer the same fate, USS Oklahoma broke her tow on the way back to the mainland and sank.

I thought she was a maryland class , I also thought she looked rather nice when seen in 45 pics

Tiornu -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/29/2005 1:05:26 AM)

The rebuilt WeeVee, California, and Tennessee were probably the best-looking American battleships.
Current theory states that I don't drink enough beer.

RevRick -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/29/2005 5:13:01 AM)

Have to agree. The others sort of seem to be cobbled together and don't have a lot of purpose built looks about them. Personally, I would not liked to have found out that those ships were in Pearl in that material condition at the time of the Japanese raid. They might still have been sunk, but they would have put up a lot of AAA to at least shake the pilots up a bit. They were bad enough in the later stages of the war.

Nikademus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/29/2005 4:06:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tiornu

The rebuilt WeeVee, California, and Tennessee were probably the best-looking American battleships.
Current theory states that I don't drink enough beer.

After a statement like that....I heartily agree. You need more beer [;)]

Terminus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/30/2005 1:28:35 AM)

Talking about succesful rebuilds, this is the Iowa:[:)]

[image]local://upfiles/16369/23D2186178174955880506CC0C43E28F.jpg[/image]

Nikademus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (6/30/2005 1:30:04 AM)

Much better! [:D]

Lord_Calidor -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (7/1/2005 1:22:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Talking about succesful rebuilds, this is the Iowa:[:)]

Actually, it's partially submerged Iowa. What we can see here is a part of superstructure, with main hull and turrets snorkeling a few meters underwater. Guess they're doing watertightness test. Guess also it's not going very well. [:D]

Terminus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (7/1/2005 2:19:10 PM)

To be serious for a fleeting moment, it IS the Iowa. The first one that is; USS Iowa (BB 4), during sea trials in 1897.

509th Bob -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (7/1/2005 9:49:59 PM)

Are you SURE that's the Iowa? It's flying a flag that says "CRAMP."[:D]

509th Bob -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (7/1/2005 9:53:01 PM)

I think it's possible that the BB in question (and in the photo) actually agrees with you! Am I the only who noticed that it's presenting the Hawaiian one-barrelled peace sign salute? [:'(]

Terminus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (7/1/2005 9:58:43 PM)

Well, the only place where I was wrong is that this was actually the second Iowa.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ships/battleships/iowa/bb4-iowa.html

von Murrin -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (7/2/2005 4:10:07 AM)

Iowa huh? I think I played with that one in the bathtub when I was five.[:D]

Oznoyng -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (7/2/2005 11:02:07 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MkXIV

Well admitedly the New Mexico's conversion from cage masts to Tower structure was done pleasantly so they do not fall into the butt ugly catagory. However the conversion to missile test ship was clearly a mistake. Missles make sissy sounding S-S-S-S-S noises when they launch. Compare that to the resounding, masculine ROAR of the big guns when they fire. BOOOOM!

Just say no to Missiles. say Yes to the big guns!

Okay. I'll take an Iowa class, remodeled with cruise missiles, you can have one with just the old guns. Figure we start the battle at a range of say, 50 miles...

Terminus -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (7/2/2005 12:55:14 PM)

Well, you should probably remember the heavy armour too. Harpoon and Tomahawk missiles aren't exactly armour-piercing.[:)]

Tankerace -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (7/3/2005 3:34:01 AM)

Guy guys guys, THIS is a true battleship.

[image]http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h60000/h60354.jpg[/image]

Why elongate the hull when you can stick turrets on top of each other.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Name this...treespiders first attempt (7/3/2005 4:14:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

Guy guys guys, THIS is a true battleship.

[image]http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h60000/h60354.jpg[/image]

Why elongate the hull when you can stick turrets on top of each other.

Sorry...I still think the laundry drying on those estheticlly tragic towers has been edited out.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI