MC crash after game 1 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers

Paul Vebber -> MC crash after game 1 (7/23/2001 3:40:00 AM)

Please post here your system config and any other info that might help us track down this problem and know how widespread it is. Sorry Bren I accidentally deletedyour followup post...

sjohn -> (7/23/2001 6:35:00 AM)

System stats at end of post. I can't start second battle, even if it's "An Early Set Back" or "A Hard Pressed Battle". Crashes to desktop after hitting "Continue" to start next battle. I hear half second of ambient background gunfire, but it crashes before the battlefield appears. *The only time it has crashed while playing first battle was immediately sfter hitting "Exit" in the Preferences screen*. Have uninstalled/reinstalled many times. After installing 5.3 and MC from CD-ROM, I run Wild Bill MC Patch from Armor Site. I also delete "mech.exe" before applying 5.3 to 6.1 Patch. I heard about a workaround involving occaisonally exiting the game and nuking the "steel.prf" file, but haven't tried it. I'm not sure how many times that file should get dumped. System: PII, 450MHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB H.D., 8MB STB nVidia ZXV AGP (came stock with Dell ca. 1998), 6x CD-ROM, DirectX 8, Win98 (not SE). Can get more system info online if you specify anything you think you need.

Yogi Yohan -> (7/24/2001 6:07:00 AM)

Had this problem as well, restarted and replayed the first battle. Again, won Decisive victory, and went on to next battle (resistance stiffens?), chose no options this time. What happened when I started the scenario was intriguing, a scenario start screen (like when you play a regular scenario) appeared, saying "Yugoslavian player". I chose option "Quit orders" and was then returned to MC screen with a decisive victory! I was then able to play the next battle (Pushing hard?), but missed the Mersa Brega battle. The same thing happened after winning a decisive victory in this battle as well. So, it seems, I will be allowed to play only every two battles? My hardware configuration is the following: Intel Pentium II 300 MHz, 128 MB RAM, Riva TNT2 card and a Soundblaster 1024 Soundcard. I'm running on WIN98 OS, Direct X 8.0, Detonator 2 driver and have SPWAW 6.1 installed over the MCDF. [ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Yogi Yohan ]

jhines -> (7/24/2001 9:05:00 AM)

I have the same problems. System is a Compaq Presario P3 500 256 ram DX8, Voodoo 5 card, running ME. I have tried to reload and run the straight 5.3 version from CD, Will post back if that works.

Strix -> (7/24/2001 9:03:00 PM)

Had the same problem but turned off the soundtrack and then it worked!!!

General Mayhem -> (7/24/2001 11:30:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Strix: Had the same problem but turned off the soundtrack and then it worked!!!
Didn't work for me, despite I turned all sound effects off. But I did discover something instresting. I disabled my soundcard, and after that as tried to enter to Megacampaign in SPAW, it crashed. Tried again, crashed. Allright, I though, maybe disabling the card on fly screwed system, so I'll reboot. I did, but still problem continued until I enabled the soundcard. Note, all my sound effecst were off from the preferences. Do you happen to have sounblaster/creative sound card? I atleast have. I wouldn't be surprised if sound card would be to be blamed(maybe along with some software bug related to audio). [ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: General Mayhem ]

Gallo Rojo -> (7/25/2001 2:53:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Yogi Yohan: What happened when I started the scenario was intriguing, a scenario start screen (like when you play a regular scenario) appeared, saying "Yugoslavian player". I chose option "Quit orders" and was then returned to MC screen with a decisive victory! I was then able to play the next battle (Pushing hard?), but missed the Mersa Brega battle. The same thing happened after winning a decisive victory in this battle as well. [ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Yogi Yohan ]
Exactly the same thing had happened to me ... the Yugoslavian Player Screen and so on... I’m running a PIII, 550mzh, 8 G Disk, 128 RAM... I’m not sure about what my video/sound cards are. Another thing that I have noticed is that MC screen says 5.0 version instead of 6.1, as the game is. I don’t know is how it should be. I have installed the last WB MC patch downloaded from Fabio’s site. I had reinstalled the game ones deleting the mech.exe and the pdrf files.

Paul Vebber -> (7/25/2001 3:43:00 AM)

What sound cards do you folks have? THe game requires one - so don't disable the sound card, just turn the sound prefs off. Did any of you install the MC on top of a previous SP:WaW install?

chandor -> (7/25/2001 4:28:00 AM)

System config Athlon 700 Soundblaster Live Platinum Elsa Geforce 2 MX 256 MB Ram Deleted old installation installed MCNA patched to 6.1 patched Sounds applied MCNA update #2 First scenario decisive victory, continue leads to yugoslavian player Start turn has no effect quit orders exits to desktop, if desktop not at 800x600 system gets to grayscale and hangs terminally if changes are made with reference to the video mode if desktop at 800x600 16bit, systems seems to recover gracefully sound preferences all disabled or not, makes no difference [ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: chandor ]

General Mayhem -> (7/25/2001 5:05:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: What sound cards do you folks have? THe game requires one - so don't disable the sound card, just turn the sound prefs off. Did any of you install the MC on top of a previous SP:WaW install?
quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: What sound cards do you folks have? THe game requires one - so don't disable the sound card, just turn the sound prefs off. Did any of you install the MC on top of a previous SP:WaW install?
First I did and it was pretty unstable, but as I asked about in the SPWAW forum I re-installed it three times while taking off mech/steel.pref and rebooting after each install. I even deleted the whole SPWAW folders before installing from 5.3/MC -> 6.1. It came after first install stable, but with C&C it still crashes despite three installs. I also installed nr.2 upgrade to MC each time. I'm pretty convinced my problem with C&C isn't because installation problems . I even upgraded to SP2(Windows 2000) and to DirectX 8 to get it to work with C&C. It's not exactly same problem from this threat started, but I suspect reason is same as result is similar. I also suspect sound card is a problem, as it is most error prone. I have: Athlon 500 192 MB ram Soundblaster Live! Matrox G400 Dual Head Graphics adapter Asutek motherboard + lot other stuff [ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: General Mayhem ]

chief -> (7/25/2001 7:52:00 AM)

To Whomever: After reading these posts and problems I ran across two short articles that may or may not apply in these cases, I'll post them verbatum for your use (or not). 1. "Tweak your CD-ROM or DVD ROM drive. Some CD-and DVD-ROM settings work better for playing games than watching movies or doing business work. Knowing how to adjust them properly for the task at hand creates smooth performance. Right-click My Computer, select Properties, and select Performance Tab. Click the File System button followed by the CD-ROM tab and make sure the Optimize Access For entry is set at Quad-Speed Or Higher. Changing this to No Read-Ahead can enhance an older drives performance while playing games. Generally, though , it isn't worth the effort if you have a modern CD-ROM or DVD-ROM installed. (Please read on) The Supplemetal cache Size slider has more impact. Sliding it to the small setting enhances gaming performance at the expense of DVD movie playback"..........etc. 2. "Video card vivacity. If your video card is not on the WinMe compatibility list, your OS might be using default drivers that don't fully utilize your card. The default drivers don't give you full control over your display properties." (this will effect 3-D effects that were not apparent in Win98 with the same cards.) Both these excerpts were taken from Editorials in "Smart Computing" and are presented here as a possible cure/help to you. HTH :D :rolleyes:

Strix -> (7/25/2001 10:03:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by General Mayhem: Didn't work for me, despite I turned all sound effects off. But I did discover something instresting. I disabled my soundcard, and after that as tried to enter to Megacampaign in SPAW, it crashed. Tried again, crashed. Allright, I though, maybe disabling the card on fly screwed system, so I'll reboot. I did, but still problem continued until I enabled the soundcard. Note, all my sound effecst were off from the preferences. Do you happen to have sounblaster/creative sound card? I atleast have. I wouldn't be surprised if sound card would be to be blamed(maybe along with some software bug related to audio). [ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: General Mayhem ]
No, I have a TBS Montego soundcard on my computer.

Paul Vebber -> (7/26/2001 4:20:00 AM)

THe C&C crash with WIN 2k and WIN NT is a known bug (and one that has us and some thers scratching our heads...why it woks fine on WINME/9x but crashes on WIN2k/NT only Bill G knows for sure...

General Mayhem -> (7/26/2001 5:44:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: THe C&C crash with WIN 2k and WIN NT is a known bug (and one that has us and some thers scratching our heads...why it woks fine on WINME/9x but crashes on WIN2k/NT only Bill G knows for sure...
Well, I've been anyway planning to sue the guy based on mental stress his producs cause. Now I have the ammo. What I need yet it just few thousands crashes of SPWAW to get one big crash to my central processor. :D

AlvinS -> (7/27/2001 8:08:00 AM)

Greetings My system specs are as follows: Dell Pentium III 500 Mhgz 128 Meg Ram ATI 3D Rage Pro Video 8 Meg Creative Soundblaster AWE64 16Bit Audio 6.4 Gig Hard drive with 1.1 Gig free (598 Meg free when crash occured)(I deleted some files to free space just in case) Win98 Second Edition. I had just started my 9th scenario of the campaign. I chose the amphibious assault. At the start of the scenario artillery started bombarding my landing craft. After the bombardment the game crashed to the desktop. I re-started the game and loaded the campaign from the last save. It left me at the screen that you normally see when you start a regular scenario and said I was the Yugoslavian player. I clicked start and it sent me back to the descktop. One wierd problem occured at the start of the 3rd turn in the 8th scenario. When I loaded the game my F formation of PzIIIE's were invisible with the exception of F4. All of my engineers were invisible also. They appeared in the unit listing as ready. I closed the scenario and reloaded it and they were visible again. :confused: If you need my save game files just drop me an email and I will send them. I will be offline for 2 days starting tomorrow. Alvins

Drex -> (7/27/2001 10:19:00 AM)

i have an OEM computer, Pentium III, 450MgHz, 64MB RAM, Intel 740 graphics Accel, Win98,DirectX8,SB AudioPCI 64V. Have played opening battle twice and achieved decisive victories, Units are promoted and I go into the next battle. I have chosen 2 different options and the game crashes and resets my computer to "safe mode". I have to re-boot and reset my display.

Don Doom -> (7/27/2001 3:35:00 PM)

Has anyone seen this. I will be playing any battle or scenerio and after two or at the most three turns the game will kick me back to the desktop? I have deleted the steel file twice, killed everything but explorer and it still does it. completely deleted spwaw and reinstalled twice. 128MB ram 2 10GHDs AMD 3 500Mhz voodo 3000 with latest drivers directx8a win98sed soundblaster live. Any ideas. Cause this makes testing nodes a pain in the @#$%^&. Don -------------------- Doom Paul Vebber Administrator Member # 24 posted July 15, 2001 10:34 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CTD's are almost always memory manangement errors. I would go into your virtual memeory settings and make sure you have 256MB or swap file space reserved. If you let windows manage your virtual memeory it leads to all sort of problems in my experience. We are doing a check of teh code for memory leaks and hope to have a "leak resistant" version ready for the MC deployment. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posts: 4021 | From: Portsmouth RI | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged Don Doom Matrix Veteran Member # 1351 posted July 26, 2001 09:12 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Paul, I got tired of 6.0 crashing to desktop. So I went back to 5.1 tried WB's new campaign and it played great no crashes. What gives with 6.0 and above.? -------------------- Doom -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posts: 583 | From: Bradenton,FLA | Registered: Sep 2000 | IP: Logged Don Doom Matrix Veteran Member # 1351 posted July 27, 2001 04:14 AM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have swap file to my back drive and set to 1.5GB size and it still does not work.? don -------------------- [ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Don Doom ]

Nemo -> (7/27/2001 3:45:00 PM)

Same symptoms with the following specs: Dell Inspiron 7.5k 650YT PIII 650 512 MB 100 MHz SDRAM, 25 GB UltraDMA/33 ATI Rage Mobility-P/M AGP 2x (8 Mb) Sound Blaster Pro compatible integrated card, ESS M-2E Running NT with sp 6

AlvinS -> (7/27/2001 7:18:00 PM)

Update to my problem
quote:

One wierd problem occured at the start of the 3rd turn in the 8th scenario. When I loaded the game my F formation of PzIIIE's were invisible with the exception of F4. All of my engineers were invisible also. They appeared in the unit listing as ready. I closed the scenario and reloaded it and they were visible again.
I started a new mega campaign and chose the train scenario. When I got to the map all of my units were invisible. The A0 unit was selected and you could see its movement radius but no icons. I exited the game and returned and the problem went away. I got a moderate victory and proceeded to the second scenario with no problems. When I encountered the crash I had fast artillary off. I had been experimenting with some scenarios. I don't know if that woudl make a difference but I thought I should mention it. Alvins

Paul Vebber -> (7/27/2001 9:26:00 PM)

Please send me a save of this "yugoslavian player" problem.

Huffy -> (7/28/2001 6:53:00 AM)

Hi,...I am running win98 with the updates from microsoft.P3-900, 40Ghard drive(7200), sound blaster live plat., Voodoo 5-5500, 512 ram., and DX8 Game won't let me go into the second battle. Hope you find a solution...thank you... Huffy

AC -> (7/28/2001 5:26:00 PM)

I have the same problem. After having finished the first MCNA scenario (train) with a moderate victory, the game will crash to the SPWAW desktop when I click on CONTINUE. If I insist and repeat loading the save file, and click on CONTINUE, the game will always crash and finally I will geto the following message from Windows: "SPWAW has caused an error in ATI2I9AA.DLL. SPWAW will be closed." The mouse won't work any longer, and after the restart of the computer the sreen risolution will be set to 640x480 instead of 800x600. I have tried to delete the installation and to reinstall everything, but it won't work. I'm running now SPWAW version 6.1. My configuration is: PIII 600 MHz 128 MB RAM HD 12 GB Video card ATI XPERT128 Sound card ES1938 PCI AudioDrive Windows ME DirectX 8

MJTJ -> (7/30/2001 8:08:00 AM)

Hi my system is: AMD 1GHz Soundblaster 1028 Live 256 RAM Windows ME I, too, have had the MC crash to opening screen both during game 1 and when trying to play game 2. I have also experienced the "Yugoslavia Player" issue...grrrrrr

MJTJ -> (7/30/2001 8:13:00 AM)

In addition to my post above I forgot two things - my graphics card is a voodoo 5 and I too have had the monitor graphics reseting after game crashes

dxkuuntt -> (7/31/2001 1:27:00 AM)

Greetings from Finland I had problems with MC. It crashed after first battle,but then I loaded MC from cd-disk to hard drive and I make reinstall from hard drive. After that I play first battle and second and third.. So this way I solved my problem. My system: Win98. Celeron533. 256NB RAM, 20GB H.D ,nVidia TNT2 M64 AGP Creative 32Xmx, Soundblaster PCI64 Timoteus

Supervisor -> (7/31/2001 8:23:00 AM)

Some have achieved fixes with the following solutions: After a completed mission, save, exit the game delete the steel.prf file in the save directory than restart game and reload from last save. Turn sound track off, turn command & control off (especially those running Win ME). Although these are only possible fixes to a bigger underlying problem hopefully they will allow you to continue to enjoy MC until a permanent solution is discovered. Also try disabling as many background running programs as possible to help weed out conflicts. Good luck

AC -> (7/31/2001 1:20:00 PM)

Seems that this worked for me too. Turned all sounds off, loaded the save-file, clicked on CONTINUE, went to the after-deployment screen; START TURN did nothing, QUIT DEPLOY exited me to a screen where I was told to have achieved a decisive victory ... clicked on CONTINUE, went to the initial screen of the A STIFFED RESISTANCE scenario (I think it's the second), and it seems to work. Would greatly appreciate some update from Matrix regarding this problem. AC

Paul Wykes -> (8/1/2001 1:19:00 AM)

I have the same problem, the game crashs after the first mission. My system is:400 celeron, 128MB ram. 10gig hard drive, soundblaster 64, and 8MB ATI AGP graphics card. Ill try the suggestion by gmenfan and see if that works. Hopefully you guys at matrix can come up with a fix! Now I`ve waited this long, I want to play it desperately!!

donoldskay -> (8/2/2001 12:46:00 AM)

Same Problem. After 1st Scenario (the no option choice) (second try on this scenario) tried to go to next scenario. Made choice (Stiff Resistance). Called me Yugoslovia Player and crashed to desktop. System AMD K/62 400 mhx processor 192 MB ram Creative Ensoniq PCI Sound Card Nvidia RIVA 128ZX 8MB AGP 2X Video Card About 2.5 gb room on hard drive Windows 95 Latest version Not state of the art, but I never had problems with SPWAW scenario or campaigns before although I had been playing on version 5.01. Only thing i have tried on 6.1 is the MC. Never played with 5.3. Upgraded to 6.1 as soon as I installed it. Had played the scenario originally to a draw and was relegated to defending Tripoli. When I tried to defend Tripoli, it had also crashed.

donoldskay -> (8/2/2001 7:20:00 AM)

Me too. Played first scenario twice. Once a draw. Once a decisive victory. When tried to go to second scenario either Tripoli Defense of Stiff Resistance, game crashed. Also called me Yugoslav Player. System AMD K6/2 400 mhz 192 mbyte RAM Creative Ensoniq Sound Card Nvidia RIVA 128 ZX 8 MB Video Card Windows 95 Latest Version Never had problems with game before. I have only tried the MC on the 6.1 version. I upgraded after I installed 5.3 before I used 5.3

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI