RE: 501 - A very stupid post (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Terminus -> RE: 501 - A very stupid post (7/9/2005 8:43:18 PM)

No thanks! She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed(tm) would not be amused.[X(]

rtrapasso -> RE: 501 - A very stupid post (7/10/2005 6:08:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

No thanks! She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed(tm) would not be amused.[X(]

LOL - my wife got some "t-shirt maker" software a few years ago - and this was about the first thing she used:
"She who must be obeyed" with a lightning bolt logo.[:D]

(She also made me a couple of cute mousepads with other things on them, including a photo from my "Great Hawaiian Giant Windmill Hunt" of a few years ago, but that another story...[>:])

harrer -> RE: 501 - A very stupid post (7/10/2005 9:03:40 PM)

Tell us, we are here to flood, aren't we ? [:D]

Harrer [:'(]

rtrapasso -> RE: 501 - A very stupid post (7/10/2005 9:30:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: harrer

Tell us, we are here to flood, aren't we ? [:D]

Harrer [:'(]

OK - not terribly exciting story, but here goes:

First time my wife and i went to Hawaii (Big Island) we were staying at a hotel north of Kona, which is largely composed of lava flows of various ages. While we were driving up the road, i saw a line of windmills in the distance - miles off, and the only way i saw them was by their spinning blades. We started asking about them - and no one knew anything about them.

So, i tried to figure out a way to get to them - driving/hiking down strange roads, asking people about them, etc. No dice. Could see them (sometimes) from a great distance (5+ miles, i'm guessing) depending on weather.

The next time we came back, i rented a 4WD jeep - partly just to see if we could get to them that way. Again, no luck.

We did find a bunch of windmills at South Point, the southern-most point on the Big Island (and the USA) down a road where you are not supposed to take regular rental vehicles. These were large windmills operated by Hawaii Electric, iirc, and were for generating power. It is there that my wife took a picture of my looking happy and goofy in front of the line of windmills, and later printed it on a mouse pad (which sits here in front of me as i type) with the legend "The Windmills of my mind."

Alas, i have never been able to get close to the original line of windmills. Research i've done indicates that they pump water for the gulf courses at the hotel i was staying at - but none of the employees seem to be aware of them. More research seems to indicate it is on private (ranch) property. Last time we were there, my wife swore they had taken them down, but i spotted them on the last full day we were there - hard to see them if there is any haze in the air, and it was hazy/rainy most of the week (in the middle of the desert).

See, a boring story![>:]

rogueusmc -> RE: 501 - A very stupid post (7/10/2005 10:38:48 PM)

It is the Parker Ranch...I wanted so badly to shoot a deer over the fence when we were at PTA but I would get seriously busted for doing so. It's a beautiful ranch.

rtrapasso -> RE: 501 - A very stupid post (7/10/2005 11:24:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

It is the Parker Ranch...I wanted so badly to shoot a deer over the fence when we were at PTA but I would get seriously busted for doing so. It's a beautiful ranch.

Really?[X(]

My prelim research seemed to indicate someone else owned it (beside Parker Ranch).

Did you get to see these windmills? Did they tell you anything about them?

rtrapasso -> RE: 501 - A very stupid post (7/10/2005 11:46:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Really?[X(]

My prelim research seemed to indicate someone else owned it (beside Parker Ranch).

Did you get to see these windmills? Did they tell you anything about them?

All excited - i did a google search on windmills and Parker Ranch, Hawaii.

Alas, we MIGHT be talking about 2 different things. In the late nineties, Parker Ranch (apparently) teemed up with Hawaii electric and started putting in windmills (possibly adding windmills? - hard to know as some of the links are broken). Anyway, the windmills i saw are older than this. I had found a picture of them in a book on Hawaii, which i think is from the early nineties or late eighties (i'll have to dig it out).

It COULD be that these windmills are on the Parker Ranch (i would guess they are within 15 miles of Parker Ranch HQ in Waimea), but i am not sure we are talking about the same windmills. I did see other large windmills (not as big as the "mystery line") in the Kohala Mountains (also near Parker Ranch) that looked like they were used to generate power. The Parker Ranch owns large chunks of property in this area, also.

rogueusmc -> RE: 501 - A very stupid post (7/11/2005 1:28:26 AM)

The last time I was there was in '93. The ones I remember were about 2 or 3 miles off Saddleback road. Headed up to PTA.

rtrapasso -> RE: 501 - A very stupid post (7/11/2005 5:03:53 AM)

quote:

The last time I was there was in '93. The ones I remember were about 2 or 3 miles off Saddleback road. Headed up to PTA.

Oh, rats, then these can't be the same ones. The ones i am talking about are maybe 20-25 miles from there, maybe 3-5 miles from the coast (i am estimating).

rogueusmc -> RE: 501 - A very stupid post (7/11/2005 5:13:16 AM)

I think I have pictures of them in my ammo can...I'll have to look and scan them in if I find 'em.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI