RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (7/28/2005 4:31:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Some CWIF play testers found having to go thru the scrap units phase tedious (say, for the Barbarossa scenario) and wanted the whole issue of scrapping units optional. Please note, if you want the abiltiy to scrap units, you simply turn the option on. No big deal.

What I remember from the playtest process is that what was tedious was to redo the scrapping process each time, and Chris provided an Automated Scrapping process, he did not remove scrapping. Scrapping was always part of CWiF.

So, what you are saying is that the scrapping option should be titled: Manual or Automatic. I can live with that, BUT ...
Whenever I hear the word 'automatic' I cringe (huddle into a ball in fear). That is because I have learned that automatic means two things: (1) the programmer has to implement the feature, taking into consideration all the details brilliantly becasue if he doesn't (2) the program does things that I, as a user, consider really stupid.

The conditions under which the AI Assistant scraps (does not scrap) planes would have to be very clear.

Froonp -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (7/28/2005 4:34:19 PM)

quote:

So, what you are saying is that the scrapping option should be titled: Manual or Automatic. I can live with that, BUT ...
Whenever I hear the word 'automatic' I cringe (huddle into a ball in fear). That is because I have learned that automatic means two things: (1) the programmer has to implement the feature, taking into consideration all the details brilliantly becasue if he doesn't (2) the program does things that I, as a user, consider really stupid.

The conditions under which the AI Assistant scraps (does not scrap) planes would have to be very clear.

I'm not advocating for an Automatic Scrap feature to be in the game, I was just saying that I seem to remember that CWiF had, for the playtest purposes.
And I still feel that for the playtest purpose it can be a good thing.
For the game, I'd prefer to be able to save (into a file) the list of the units I'm scrapping, so that I can scrap the same units next time I play.
Eventualy, I could be able to edit this file and modify it, out of the game, but that's not the most important.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (7/28/2005 4:35:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

Options 72 through 76 were introduced in recent (vis-a-vis circa CWIF) add-ons. I do not currently have copies of Cruisers in Flames, Convoys in Flames, Politics in Flames, America in Flames, and Patton in Flames (they are suppose to be on their way to me). Until I do, I do not want to commit myself to doing something about which I know next to nothing. Once I have an opportunity to reveiw them personally, and thoroughyl, I will be able to make an informed decision. Until that time though, I have them down as ?.

If you have RAW7, you already have all the rules for CoiF & CLiF, there is nothing more in the kits you'll receive. You only miss the countersheets. You can see reduced copies of those countersheets at my website.
Regards
Patrice

Through hard experience over 35 years of programming, I have learned to never commit to programming tasks unless I know exactly what I am committing to. This discussion will be on hold until I have in my own hot little hands brand new copies of the Add-ons that I can go over carefully.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (7/28/2005 4:44:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mziln
22.4 Optional Rules and Units

X.X.1 Divisions Option 2
Each division type goes into a new force pool. ARM and MECH divisions count against Armour gearing limits. CAV divisions count against cavalry gearing limits. Other divisions count against infantry gearing limits. Divisions are not restricted from being built ahead (see 13.6.5 Building units) if their equivalent corps type is still available in the force pools, and vice versa.

X.X.2 Artillery Option 3
If you are playing with this rule, there is a new gearing limit class - artillery.

X.X.3 Fortification Units Option 5
Fortification units are a new gearing limit class.

X.X.4 Supply units Option 6
Supply units are a new gearing limit class.

X.X.5 Engineer Divisions Option 7
Some engineer divisions (ENGs) are motorized and receive the benefits of being motorized. Some other engineers have the same special abilities as MAR units. You can play engineers as combat and/or construction engineers.

X.X.6 Territorials Option 10
Some major powers and minor countries have one or more territorial units available in the force pools from the start of the game.

X.X.7 Synthetic oil plants Option 14
The synthetic oil units represent plants designed to turn coal into fuel oil. Such plants were built extensively by Germany during the war but also to some extent by Japan.

X.X.8 Frogmen Option 24
The Italian frogmen and Japanese and Commonwealth mini-sub units are the same unit type for all purposes. We call them all “frogmen”.

X.X.9 Amphibious Units Option 26
Amphibious units (AMPH) form a new force pool. They count against ship gearing limits.

X.X.10 Japanese Command Conflict Option 64
Throughout the war, the Imperial Japanese navy fought a series of bloody disputes with the Imperial Japanese army. They fought over everything from resource allocation to the strategic direction of the war. You would need 2 Japanese players to reflect that result but this rule will complicate the Japanese player’s life a little.

X.X.11 Ski Troop Divisions Option 65

X.X.12 The Queens Option 66 (Rule 22.4.4 The Queens Option 66 (SiF))
This unit represents two converted passenger liners (Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth) that were justly famous for their speed. You use it like a faster than usual TRS except that it cannot transport HQ-A, ARM, MECH, artillery or aircraft units. The Queens can replace a TRS unit from the start of a scenario.

X.X.13 City Based Volunteers’ Option 67
There are several units with the name of a city printed on their back in AfA, AiF, LiF and PoliF. These counters represent volunteers who fought or potentially would have fought for the major power whose background color the counters share. As examples, Vlassov was a successful Soviet general who defected to the Germans after his capture, the SS recruited personnel from the occupied areas and Japan used some Chinese and potentially would have used some Indians or Siberians as well.

X.X.14 Siberians Option 68 (Rule 22.4.7 Siberians Option 68 (AfA))
Each Siberian unit can replace a Soviet INF unit from the start of a scenario. In 1939 games, they must start on the Asian or Pacific map. In other games, they can start anywhere. You decide after set up which units, if any, you wish to replace. Put any Siberians you don’t start on the map into the INF force pool.

X.X.15 Naval Supply Units Option 69
Naval supply units Upgrade and downgrade minor ports.

X.X.16 Guards Banner Armies Option 70
The 8 Russian armies included in LiF are Guards Banner Armies. These are kept as reserves, but do not arrive when other reserves do.

X.X.17 Chinese Warlords Option 71
The Chinese warlord units represent forces loyal to one particular Warlord in China rather than the central Government

X.X.18 Partisan HQs Option 72
Tito and Zoya K. are treated the same as any other HQI except that you cannot purchase them.

X.X.19 Heavy weapons units Option 73
During the war, most countries upgraded their units with heavier weapons in an attempt to gain an advantage over their opponents.

X.X.20 Air Cavalry Option 74
Air Cav (ACV) units are a new unit type.

X.X.21 Light Cruisers & Rough Seas Option 75
The light cruisers in CliF replace those provided in World in Flames and depict every CL and CAA of WWII.

X.X.22 Convoys in Flames Option 76
This SiF option introduces several units that represent in greater detail the naval battles conducted against merchant marine shipping, especially battles by and against submarines.

Yes, I left out A-bombs and V weapons.

Good point. I'll update my table with the additions listed above.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (7/28/2005 4:49:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
quote:

quote:

Before reaching final agreement with the artist on how the map and units will be done. I expect to give this forum group the opportunity to view them both in a "nearly final" form. If you guys don't like them, then they will need more work.

Who is "the artist" ?
I asked some questions about the team, and who is the team, and about Robert Crandall's involvement, without having answers.
Is there a problem with this ?

Putting "the team" together is a work in progress. I do not want to commit anyone before I have had a chance to "talk" with them first. So, rather than give you a partial answer, I just let the question hang until I could give you a full answer. But since you asked again ...

The partial answer is that I will be doing all the coding. Chris is answering all my questions about CWIF as I pose them to him. I am trying not to deluge him with the zillions of little questions that come up as I read through his code.

As to the rest of the team, I will hold off on names until we are further down the road. I might mention, that to me, the members of this forum are an integral part of the development process. In the project plan I put together this weekend I have the forum members scheduled to contribute to the design of every important aspect of MWIF. I will also be drawing most, if not all, of the play testers from the people herein.

The graphics are being done by Rob Armstrong of Bullseye graphics, who did a lot of the art work for the WIF series.
Rob Crandall lends an ear and provides useful ideas and insights from time to time but is not part of the coding team.

Greyshaft -> Automating the scrapping of planes (7/29/2005 12:50:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
Amen. Scrapping planes is one of those repetitive gut-twisting decisions with which WiF abounds.

Do I scrap this newly destroyed fighter? But then I'll lose the other on-map unit protecting <important target>. But if I don't then in the production phase I might have to randomly rebuild this unit with its pissy attack factor of 3 instead of the new super-duper units with an attack factor of 7 which just arrived in my force pool... aaargh... decisions... decisions

IMO scrapping has to stay. I could see the information collection being automated but not the actual decision making process. So when you lose (say) a fighter then at the end of the combat you get a dialog box saying:

You have just lost a Sopwith Pup.
The Sopwith Pup has an attack factor of 1
Your on-map fighter force (including units on production spiral) has an average attack factor of 1.2
Your production pool has an average attack factor of 0.9
There are 6 Sopwith Pups in the countermix.
Three are in the force pool (including the one you just lost)
Two are in production, due in Mar/Apr 1917 and Jul/Aug 1917
One is on the map at Chateau-Thierry.

Do you want to scrap the Sopwith Pup?

BTW, did you ever see the WWI version of WiF ? [:)]

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Automating the scrapping of planes (7/29/2005 2:00:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft
Scrapping planes is one of those repetitive gut-twisting decisions with which WiF abounds.

Do I scrap this newly destroyed fighter? But then I'll lose the other on-map unit protecting <important target>. But if I don't then in the production phase I might have to randomly rebuild this unit with its pissy attack factor of 3 instead of the new super-duper units with an attack factor of 7 which just arrived in my force pool... aaargh... decisions... decisions

IMO scrapping has to stay. I could see the information collection being automated but not the actual decision making process. So when you lose (say) a fighter then at the end of the combat you get a dialog box saying:

You have just lost a Sopwith Pup.
The Sopwith Pup has an attack factor of 1
Your on-map fighter force (including units on production spiral) has an average attack factor of 1.2
Your production pool has an average attack factor of 0.9
There are 6 Sopwith Pups in the countermix.
Three are in the force pool (including the one you just lost)
Two are in production, due in Mar/Apr 1917 and Jul/Aug 1917
One is on the map at Chateau-Thierry.

Do you want to scrap the Sopwith Pup?

BTW, did you ever see the WWI version of WiF ? [:)]

Hey, I may be old but even I wasn't around during WW I![:D]

Improving the interface for scrapping planes was the very first item I put on my list for MWIF. When you start a new game of CWIF, it comes up first when you have absolutely no knowledge about anything and there you are having to figure out what to scrap before you do anyting else. I understood immediately why the play testers wanted it removed (i.e., made optional). It would be even more annoying if you were playing WIF as a novice and trying the Barbarossa scenario as a 'tutorial'.

This really belongs in the interface thread, but ...
My first thought was to have a screen display of all your fighters: on map, in production, in the force pool, and additions due to the force pool at the start of the next year. There aren't that many fighters so they should all be visible at once. These four boxes, with fighter units in each, would give you a complete overview of your current and (potentially) future fighters. Any that did not have pilots assigned would also be noted. As you move the cursor over each fighter its brothers in arms would be highlighted so you would know the consequences or scrapping that unit. What I am doing here is basically what I do when I play over the board: I evaluate all my fighters before scrapping any.

The averages that you described have the limitation that averages always have: they are a single number that represents a group. When a group is small, it is almost always better to look at the individual elements of the group instead of the average. [Sorry, I use to teach statistics and my tendency to lecture is quasi-ingrained.]

Froonp -> RE: Automating the scrapping of planes (7/29/2005 10:54:11 AM)

quote:

The averages that you described have the limitation that averages always have: they are a single number that represents a group. When a group is small, it is almost always better to look at the individual elements of the group instead of the average. [Sorry, I use to teach statistics and my tendency to lecture is quasi-ingrained.]

I agree with this about averages (I studied statistics too), but I love what Greyshaft wrote (and I'd love to see a WWI version of WiF FE & MWiF).
To make things more useful, you may display the standard deviance as well as the average ? What do you think ? You wouldn't label it as Std Dev, but you could put : Average 5,3 combat factors +/- 0,7 for example. Standard deviance may not exactly be the +/- error, but it looks and means alike.
Patrice

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Automating the scrapping of planes (7/29/2005 11:39:25 AM)

quote:

quote:

I agree with this about averages (I studied statistics too), but I love what Greyshaft wrote (and I'd love to see a WWI version of WiF FE & MWiF).
To make things more useful, you may display the standard deviance as well as the average ? What do you think ? You wouldn't label it as Std Dev, but you could put : Average 5,3 combat factors +/- 0,7 for example. Standard deviance may not exactly be the +/- error, but it looks and means alike.
Patrice

Us math guys would understand it but it is likely to be of little use to most people. There are a lot of numbers that could be provided (percentile ranking by air-to-air, tactical bombing, air-to-sea, and strategic bombing factors to name but a few).

I still like just showing the players all the units. Letting them sort the planes by one of the combat factors would be a nice touch. For example, "Sort in descendng order by tactical bombing factor." That way you could see how many planes in the force pool are better/worse that the one you are thinking about scrapping. That is usually the major criterion for my decisions when scrapping a plane.

Froonp -> RE: Automating the scrapping of planes (7/29/2005 11:55:26 AM)

quote:

I still like just showing the players all the units. Letting them sort the planes by one of the combat factors would be a nice touch. For example, "Sort in descendng order by tactical bombing factor." That way you could see how many planes in the force pool are better/worse that the one you are thinking about scrapping. That is usually the major criterion for my decisions when scrapping a plane.

Yes I do exactly the same when I'm scrapping something (not only air units), as well as assessing the overall number of units and if it matches my needs.

YohanTM2 -> RE: Automating the scrapping of planes (7/29/2005 1:56:35 PM)

The Canadian Wargame Group did put out a WW1 version of WiF that was approved by ADG. It was interesting but a bit clunky and the map just had an overlay of most of Europe, not a whole new map.

I one it by winning a WiF tournament and I think we played it like once or twice and decided it could not compete with WiF.

quote:

Greyshaft -> RE: Automating the scrapping of planes (7/29/2005 2:17:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan
The Canadian Wargame Group did put out a WW1 version of WiF that was approved by ADG
I think it was called "Fatal Alliances". I never played it but I thought the idea had potential

Caranorn -> RE: Automating the scrapping of planes (7/29/2005 3:03:40 PM)

Yep Fatal Alliances, quite nice game. Unfortunatelly it was never updated to WiF FE (it is compatible with the WiF 5 maps and rules).

I played a few games a few years ago when I finally managed to lay hands on a copy (and brought myself to spend my only WiF 5 European map (today I'd just create a copy of the map via my scanner).

Marc aka Caran...

P.S.: I think if Fatal Alliances were reconsidered today air units would have much higher ratings as there is no need to maintain compatibility with the WWII version...

Froonp -> RE: Automating the scrapping of planes (7/29/2005 3:03:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan
The Canadian Wargame Group did put out a WW1 version of WiF that was approved by ADGI think it was called "Fatal Alliances". I never played it but I thought the idea had potential

ADG is designing a Final Edition compatible version of Fatal Alliances, it should be called Fatal Alliances III. Fatal Alliances and Fatal Alliances II were designed for WiF 5.

Minority Report -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/7/2005 7:09:54 AM)

I would like to congratulate Matrix Game for tackling this project so seriously.

My comments represent probably the ones of a minority of gamers, but I think they should be known.

I have been waiting, too, for over 10 years for this game. I bought the very first version of WIF, with the generic orange counters for the neutrals. I still prefer WIF Classic with the revamped counters.

WIF is a strategic-level game, and I do not see much value in the add-ons, as they tend to bring the game to the operational level (if someone wants to play at that level the should play War in Europe or War in the Pacific). The exception is DoD, which is clearly at the strategic level. I would prefer that all the other add-ons be added later as optional upgrades.

I agree with other people on this forum that the graphic beauty of WIF counters and maps should be preserved as much of possible. It represents an important element of WIF success.

Overall, I would encourage Matrix Games to release at first the least ambitious MWIF as possible, and have upgrades later on. CWIF failed because it was too ambitious, and I am afraid that MWIF might be victim of the same problem. (I can live without PBEM, and AI) As well, ADG and Matrix Games could start to make so money out of this game...

Regards

Mziln -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/8/2005 1:42:19 AM)

34 options and rising.

Mziln -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/8/2005 7:19:04 AM)

42 options and still rising. [sm=dizzy.gif]

Froonp -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/8/2005 9:29:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mziln
42 options and still rising. [sm=dizzy.gif]

What are you counting ?

Mziln -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/8/2005 10:35:51 PM)

oops

Mziln -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/8/2005 10:48:10 PM)

The number of options I have converted to HTML documents.

To see my first example look at:

Shannon V. OKeets post on: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons - 7/28/2005 2:44:30 PM

I think the learning curve would be reduced if the rules were presented as a basic set of step by step rules in HTML format.

With HTML links to the options where they effect the basic set of rules.

quote:

Example 1: Naval Air Combat (11.5.9 Naval air combat)

To choose this type of naval combat you must have an aircraft unit or undamaged CV included and the weather in the sea zone you are flying to must not be storm or blizzard

If you are using Option 56: Carrier Plane Units <= this would link to Example 2

The steps in Naval Air Combat consist of:
....Air-to-Air Combat, the air units that are passed through now face;
....Anti-Aircraft Fire, the air units that survive press on to The Air-to-Sea Attack.
....Total the air-to-sea factors of each side’s surviving air units included in the round.
....Adjust each sides total air-to-sea factors of surviving bombers due to the Weather in the Air;

quote:

Example 2: Option 56: Carrier Plane Units (Rule 14.4.1 Carrier plane units Option 56 (CVPiF/SiF))

Naval Air Combats

This requires a carrier plane on the CV. A face down carrier plane can take part in a naval air combat but only if it is flying from an undamaged CV in that area. Carrier planes can never fly a naval air mission from a CV into another sea zone.

You first have to decide which of your FTRs and if you are using and carrier planes will be flying as bombers and which will be flying as fighters. Carrier planes on damaged CVs do not participate in naval air combats.

If you chose not to use the option you would not need to click on the link.

The other links Air-to-Air Combat, Anti-Aircraft Fire, and Weather in the Air would explain further steps and modifications.

Greyshaft -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/9/2005 12:51:17 AM)

Heh heh... great to see someone else slogging away at the documentation.
Three cheers for Mziln!!!

Mziln -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/9/2005 1:20:32 AM)

There are a total of 73 options not counting the options on off map and other maps.[sm=00000117.gif]

1.10 Optional Rules and Units (Rules 22. Optional Rules and 22.4 Optional Units)

X.X.1 Option 2: Divisions
Each division type goes into a new force pool. ARM and MECH divisions count against Armour gearing limits. CAV divisions count against cavalry gearing limits. Other divisions count against infantry gearing limits. Divisions are not restricted from being built ahead (see 13.6.5 Building units) if their equivalent corps type is still available in the force pools, and vice versa.

X.X.2 Option 3: Artillery
If you are playing with this rule, there is a new gearing limit class - artillery.

X.X.3 Option 5: Fortification Units
Fortification units are a new gearing limit class.

X.X.4 Option 6: Supply units
Supply units are a new gearing limit class.

X.X.5 Option 7: Engineer Divisions
Some engineer divisions (ENGs) are motorized and receive the benefits of being motorized. Some other engineers have the same special abilities as MAR units. You can play engineers as combat and/or construction engineers.

X.X.6 Option 8: Flying Boats
Flying boats can only stack in a coastal hex (even if the coast is only on a lake).

X.X.7 Option 9: Replacement Naval Units
A few naval units have a gold box around their availability year. In a later year, replacement units will turn up for these units. Their availability year will also be shown in a gold box.

X.X.8 Option 10: Territorials
Some major powers and minor countries have one or more territorial units available in the force pools from the start of the game.

X.X.9 Option 11: Limited Overseas Supply (SiF)
You can only trace a supply path overseas if each sea zone you trace it through contains a friendly convoy, TRS or AMPH.

X.X.10 Option 12: Limited Access Across a Strait
Resources can’t be transported nor supply traced, if the presence of enemy units would prevent you tracing an overseas supply path into that sea zone.

X.X.11 Option 13: Emergency HQ Supply
You must announce the HQ providing emergency supply before any unit can gain this benefit.

X.X.12 Option 14 Synthetic Oil Plants
The synthetic oil units represent plants designed to turn coal into fuel oil. Such plants were built extensively by Germany during the war but also to some extent by Japan.

X.X.13 Option 15: Off City Reinforcement
If you can’t place reinforcement anywhere without breaking the stacking rules, you may put it into a hex you control (not in an enemy ZoC). You can’t do this with naval units.

X.X.14 Option 16: Recruitment Limits
Each turn, and in addition to any MIL, only 1 land or aircraft unit may be placed in each eligible city. Each turn, only 1 naval unit may be placed in each eligible port.

X.X.15 Option 17: HQ Movement
HQ-A and HQ-I spend one additional movement point for the first hex-side it crosses that is not along a railway.

X.X.16 Option 18: Bottomed Ships
When applying results against units in a port, a result of ‘X’ (or 2 ‘D’ results) only destroys the target if you roll less than or equal to half its defense factor.

X.X.17 Option 19: In the Presence of the Enemy
It costs a surface naval unit 2 points of its movement allowance to enter a sea zone that contains a CV (with a carrier plane), SCS, or aircraft unit controlled by an unsurprised enemy major power it is at war with.

X.X.18 Option 21: Task Forces
You can create a task force before any naval movement. Simply move the units to the task force display and replace them with a task force marker. You can transfer units out of an existing task force into a new task force in the same place.

X.X.19 Option 22: Bounce Combat
When the result of any air-to-air combat is a "DC", the defender may choose to implement it normally or may instead convert the result into a "bounce" combat.

X.X.20 Option 23: V-weapons and Atomic Bombs
V-weapons and A-bombs form a new force pool. They are a new class for gearing limit purposes. Production of A-bombs and V-weapons cannot be accelerated.

X.X.21 Option 24: Frogmen
The Italian frogmen and Japanese and Commonwealth mini-sub units are the same unit type for all purposes. We call them all “frogmen”.

X.X.22 Option 25: SCS Transport
You can transport 1 non-motorized infantry class division on each SCS.

X.X.23 Option 26: Amphibious Units
Amphibious units (AMPH) form a new force pool. They count against ship gearing limits.

X.X.24 Option 27: CV Search
Modify the search number according to the longest range among the carrier planes on undamaged committed CVs in a box of a sea zone.

X.X.25 Option 28: Pilots
Pilots are separate from their machines and must be trained separately. The number of pilots limits the number of aircraft allowed on the map.

X.X.27 Option 29: Food in Flames
For each of Australia, India and South Africa where one or more resources are transported to a factory in Great Britain this turn, add 1 production point to the Commonwealth total.

X.X.28 Option 30: Factory Destruction & Construction
This allows new factories to be destroyed and constructed.

X.X.29 Option 31: Saved Oil Resources & Saved Build Points
You can save oil resources and build points you did not wish to use.

X.X.30 Option 32: Carpet Bombing
Carpet-bombing let’s your strategic bombers destroy enemy land and aircraft units, not just turn them face down.

X.X.31 Option 33: Tank Busters
Tank busting aircraft have enhanced attacks against MECH, ARM or HQ-A unit.

X.X.32 Option 34: Motorized Movement Rates
You use the motorized cost on the terrain effects chart to enter each hex.

X.X.33 Option 35: Non-ATR Air Transports
Any aircraft with a white range circle can fly an air transport and paradrop missions.

X.X.34 Option 36: Large ATRs
Large ATRs were capable of transporting 2 infantry class divisions (except MAR or MOT), or 1 other infantry class corps, or army (except HQ, MAR, MOT or PART), or 1 supply unit.

X.X.35 Option 37: Railway Movement Bonus
A land unit pays 1 less movement point (minimum 1) to enter a hex when it moves, or advances after combat, along a railway (but not a road).

X.X.36 Option 38: Defensive Shore Bombardment
The defending side can also use shore bombardment.

X.X.37 Option 39: Blitz Bonus
This allows additions or subtractions to the land combat die roll.

X.X.38 Option 40: Chinese Attack Weakness
Nationalist Chinese land units attacks are reduced by half.

X.X.39 Option 41: Fractional Odds
This allows you a fractional chance of increasing the odds.

X.X.40 Option 42: Allied Combat Friction
This simulates the lack of coordination between the Allied forces during the war.

X.X.41 Option 43: 2die10 Land CRT
This table replaces the standard combat tables included in the combat charts.

X.X.42 Option 44: Increased Aircraft Re-base Range
This allows an increased rebase range and restrictions.

X.X.43 Option 45: Variable Reorganization Cost
The cost to reorganize is changed depending on the unit.

X.X.44 Option 46: Partisans
Partisans are units that appear in countries that have been conquered (and in some you are still fighting). Some countries can have partisans no matter who controls them.

X.X.44 Option 47: Isolated Reorganization
You trace the path in the same way as a basic supply path, including via overseas supply paths except that it can be of any length.

X.X.45 Option 48: Oil
If you are playing with this option, you only automatically turn units face-up during the final reorganization step if they are not oil dependent. To flip oil dependent units, you must spend oil resources.

X.X.46 Option 49: Hitler’s War
This adds a variation where the major powers planned for the war.

X.X.47 Option 50: USSR-Japan Compulsory Peace
If the USSR and Japan go to war they can be forced to go to peace. This is only possible once.

X.X.48 Option 51: En-rout Aircraft Interception
Instead of only being able to intercept a bomber at its target hex, this option lets you intercept it along the way.

X.X.49 Option 52: Night Missions
When an aircraft or carrier plane flies a mission, you can announce that it is flying a night mission (except Naval Air Combat and Port attack Missions).

X.X.50 Option 53: Twin-engine Fighters
In air-to-air combat during the day, all front fighters with an orange air-to-air rating achieve one result less than normal when the front enemy fighter in the combat does not have an orange air-to-air rating.

X.X.51 Option 54: Fighter-bombers
Reduce the air-to-air rating of the front bomber by 1 if it is a FTR.

X.X.52 Option 55: Outclassed Fighters
Back-up fighters only increase your air-to-air strength when their modified air-to-air rating is at least half of the modified rating of the front opposing fighter.

X.X.53 Option 56: Carrier Plane Units
A CV’s carrier plane is represented as a separate unit. A carrier plane unit has the values shown on the counter, not those calculated from the CV’s air component. The CV’s air component does not increase over time as in the standard game.

X.X.54 Option 57: Limited aircraft interception
In addition to Fighter Intercept limitations, a fighter cannot intercept if it is flying further than the longest distance flown to the hex/hex-dot by any enemy aircraft.

X.X.55 Option 58: Internment
A minor country aircraft unit can re-base into a neutral minor country. An aircraft unit that does that is destroyed but the pilot survives.

X.X.56 Option 59: Flying Bombs
Some aircraft (specifically designed) were only to be flown once. In effect, they were flying bombs.

X.X.57 Option 60: Kamikazes
The Japanese player can declare a kamikaze attack in any Naval Air Combat.

X.X.58 Option 61 Offensive Chits
An offensive chit represents the assembly of large quantities of supplies and replacements for a major offensive.

X.X.59 Option 62: The Ukraine
The Ukrainian army represents the forces that could have been raised by both sides if a more tolerant attitude had been displayed towards the Ukrainians. At the start of the game, all Ukrainians are removed from the game.

X.X.60 Option 63: Intelligence Operations
During the intelligence step, active major powers can attempt to gather intelligence.

X.X.61 Option 64: Japanese Command Conflict
Throughout the war, the Imperial Japanese navy fought a series of bloody disputes with the Imperial Japanese army. They fought over everything from resource allocation to the strategic direction of the war. You would need 2 Japanese players to reflect that result but this rule will complicate the Japanese player’s life a little.

X.X.62 Option 65: Ski Troop Divisions
Ski troops don’t have to stop moving if they enter an enemy zone of control in snow or blizzard.

X.X.63 Option 66: The Queens (Rule 22.4.4 The Queens Option 66 (SiF))
This unit represents two converted passenger liners (Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth) that were justly famous for their speed. You use it like a faster than usual TRS except that it cannot transport HQ-A, ARM, MECH, artillery or aircraft units. The Queens can replace a TRS unit from the start of a scenario.

X.X.64 Option 67: City Based Volunteer’s
There are several units with the name of a city printed on their back in AfA, AiF, LiF and PoliF. These counters represent volunteers who fought or potentially would have fought for the major power whose background color the counters share. As examples, Vlassov was a successful Soviet general who defected to the Germans after his capture, the SS recruited personnel from the occupied areas and Japan used some Chinese and potentially would have used some Indians or Siberians as well.

X.X.65 Option 68: Siberians (Rule 22.4.7 Siberians Option 68 (AfA))
Each Siberian unit can replace a Soviet INF unit from the start of a scenario. In 1939 games, they must start on the Asian or Pacific map. In other games, they can start anywhere. You decide after set up which units, if any, you wish to replace. Put any Siberians you don’t start on the map into the INF force pool.

X.X.66 Option 69: Naval Supply Units
Naval supply units Upgrade and downgrade minor ports.

X.X.67 Option 70: Guards Banner Armies
The 8 Russian armies included in LiF are Guards Banner Armies. These are kept as reserves, but do not arrive when other reserves do.

X.X.68 Option 71: Chinese Warlords
The Chinese warlord units represent forces loyal to one particular Warlord in China rather than the central Government

X.X.69 Option 72: Partisan Headquarters
Tito and Zoya K. are treated the same as any other HQI except that you cannot purchase them.

X.X.70 Option 73: Heavy Weapons Units
During the war, most countries upgraded their units with heavier weapons in an attempt to gain an advantage over their opponents.

X.X.71 Option 74: Air Cavalry
Air Cav (ACV) units are a new unit type.

X.X.72 Option 75: Light Cruisers & Rough Seas
The light cruisers in CliF replace those provided in World in Flames and depict every CL and CAA of WWII.

X.X.73 Option 76: Convoys in Flames
This SiF option introduces several units that represent in greater detail the naval battles conducted against merchant marine shipping, especially battles by and against submarines.

herwin -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/16/2005 5:53:34 PM)

See if you can pick up some of the scenario ideas in Totaler Krieg. You may have to negotiate, but their idea that Germany could have driven Poland into the arms of either the Soviet Union or the western allies immediately produces a historical bifurcation.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/26/2005 4:36:55 AM)

Here is the final decision on what add-ons and optional rules will and will not be included in MWIF Product 1.

MWIF Product 1 will include the add-ons:
Africa Aflame
Asia Aflame
Carrier Planes in Flames
Convoys in Flames
Cruisers in Flames
Mech in Flames
Planes in Flames
Ships in Flames
*** The Guards banner armies (option 70), and Chinese warlords (option 71) will be included even though technically these are part of Leaders in Flames and Politics in Flames respectively.

MWIF Product 1 will NOT include the add-ons:
Leaders in Flames
America in Flames
Patton in Flames
Politics in Flames
Days of Decision III

Optional Rules
CWIF	MWIF 1	Option	                WIF FE Rules Reference
NA	NA	1. African & Scandinavian maps	2.1.1, 2.1.4, 2.4.2
Yes	Yes	2. Divisions	2.2, 2.3.1, 9.5, 11.4.5, 11.14, 11.15, 11.16.1, 11.16.5, 22.4.1
Yes	Yes	3. Artillery	2.2, 2.3.1, 11.2, 11.5.9, 11.5.10, 11.8, 11.9, 11.11.2, 11.16.4, 11.16.5, 16.1, 16.3, 22.4.2
NA	NA	4. Pacific & Asian map ZOCs 	2.2
Yes	Yes	5. Fortifications	2.3.1, 4.2, 11.16.1, 22.4.9
Yes	Yes	6. Supply units	2.3.1, 2.4.2, 11.11.2, 11.12, 22.4.10
Yes	Yes	7. Engineers	2.3.1, 11.11.2, 22.2, 22.4.1
Yes	Yes	8. Flying boats 	2.3.1, 8.2.9
Yes	Yes	9. Ships In Flames units	2.3.1, 4.1.4, 4.2, 11.3, 11.5.8, 13.3.2, 13.5.1, 13.6.1, 13.6.5, 14.4.1, 22.4.7
Yes	Yes	10. Territorials	11.16.5, 2.4.2, 4.2, 17.3, 18.1, 19.4, 22.4.5
Yes	Yes	11. Limited overseas supply	2.4.2, 22.4.11
Yes	Yes	12. Limited supply across straits 	2.4.2, 11.10, 13.6.1
Yes	Yes	13. HQ supply and support	2.4.3, 11.16.3
Yes	Yes	14. Synthetic oil plants	4.2, 13.5.1, 22.4.11
Yes	Yes	15. Off-city reinforcement 	4.2
No	Yes	16. Recruitment limits 	4.2
Yes	Yes	17. HQ movement 	11.11.2
Yes	Yes	18. Bottomed ships 	11.2
Yes	Yes	19. In the presence of the enemy 	11.4.2
No	Yes	20. Surprised ZOCs 	2.2
No	No	21. Task forces (hidden)	11.4.3
No	Yes	22. Bounce combat 	14.3.3
Partially	Yes	23. V-weapons and Atomic bombs	11.7.1, 11.8
Partially	Yes	24. Frogmen	22.4.3
Yes	Yes	25. SCS transport	11.4.5, 11.14
Yes	Yes	26. Amphibious rules 	11.13, 11.14, 22.4.12
Yes	Yes	27. Optional CV searching	11.5.5
Yes	Yes	28. Pilots	4.2, 11.2, 11.5.8, 11.5.11, 13.6.5, 13.6.7, 13.7.1, 14.6, 19.1, 22.4.19
No	Yes	29. Food in Flames 	13.6.1
Yes	Yes	30. Factory construction and destruction 	11.7, 13.6.8, 22.2, 22.4.11
Yes	Yes	31. Saving build points and resources	11.7, 13.1, 13.3.2, 13.5.1, 13.6.3, 13.6.8
Yes	Yes	32. Carpet bombing 	11.8, 14.6
Yes	Yes	33. Tank busters 	11.9, 11.16.4
Yes	Yes	34. Motorized movement rates 	11.11.2
Yes	Yes	35. Bomber (& no paradrop) ATRs 	11.12, 11.15, 11.18.1
Yes	Yes	36. Large ATRs	11.12, 11.18.1, 11.18.4
Yes	Yes	37. Railway movement bonus 	11.11.2
Yes	Yes	38. Defensive shore bombardment 	11.16.2, 15.1
No	Yes	39. Blitz Bonus 	11.16.1, 11.16.5
Yes	Yes	40. Chinese attack weakness	11.16.5
Yes +	Yes +	41. Fractional odds 	11.16.5
Yes	Yes	42. Allied combat friction 	11.16.5
Yes	Yes	43. 2D10 Land CRT 	11.16.6
Yes	Yes	44. Extended aircraft rebasing 	11.17
Yes	Yes	45. Variable reorganization costs	13.6.3
Yes +	Yes +	46. Partisans 	13.1, 13.7.4
Yes	Yes	47. Isolated reorganization limits 	13.5
Yes	Yes	48. Oil	5, 13.5.1, 21
No	Yes	49. Hitler’s War ()	13.3.2
No	Yes	50. USSR-Japan compulsory peace 	13.7.3
No	Yes	51. En-route aircraft interception 	14.2.1
Yes 	Yes	52. Night missions 	14.2.1, 14.2.3, 22.4.2
Yes	Yes	53. Twin-engined fighters 	14.3.2
Yes	Yes	54. Fighter-bombers 	14.3.2
Yes	Yes	55. Outclassed fighters 	14.3.2
Yes	Yes	56. Carrier planes	4.2, 11.2, 11.5.2, 11.5.8, 11.5.11, 11.18.4, 13.5.1, 13.6.5, 14.3.2, 14.4,  14.4.1, 14.8, 16.2
No	Yes	57. Limited aircraft interception 	14.2.1
No	Yes	58. Internment 	14.6.4, 19.1
Partially	Yes	59. Flying bombs	14.6, 14.7
Partially	Yes	60. Kamikazes 	14.6, 14.8
Yes	Yes	61. Offensive Chits 	16, (16.1 - 16.5)
No	Yes	62. The Ukraine 	19.12
No	Yes	63. Intelligence 	22.1
No	Yes	64. Japanese command conflict 	22.3
Yes	Yes	65. Ski troops	22.4.1
Yes	Yes	66. The Queens	22.4.4
Mostly	Yes	67. City Based Volunteers 	4.1.2, 22.4.8
Yes	Yes	68. Siberians	22.4.7
Partially	Yes	69. Naval supply units	22.4.13
Partially	Yes	70. Guards Banner Armies	22.4.14
No	Yes	71. Chinese Warlords	22.4.15
No	Yes	72. Partisan HQs	22.4.16
Partially	No	73. Heavy Weapons Units	22.4.17
Partially	No	74. Air Cav	22.4.18
No	Yes	75. Cruiser in Flames	13.5.1, 22.4.6
No	Yes	76. Convoys in Flames	19.4, 22.4.19

CWIF optional rules that are standard rules in WIF FE and will be standard rules in MWIF 1:
Lend lease,
CV strategic bombing, and
Japanese carrier range.

CWIF optional rules that were discontinued in WIF FE and will not be included in MWIF 1:
Separate die rolls on land combat table,
Territorial conquest, and
Vlassov (replaced by city based volunteers).

CWIF optional rules that are not in WIF FE but will be kept in MWIF 1:
Fog of war,
Limited view of opponent’s production,
Scrap units (play testers requested this be optional to simplify play), and
Facility repair (separated from Option #7 at request of play testers).

Froonp -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/26/2005 10:30:23 AM)

quote:

Leaders in Flames
Politics in Flames

Please, tell me that you will keep the extra counters needing no new rule (already present in the MWiF countermix, such as the late war normal counters for every major power, especially France & Italy of CS25 (LiF), and the late war planes, the MIL and extra soviet, US & german HQ, the city based volunteers from CS30 (PoliF)), and that when you say that MWiF will not include PoliF & LiF you are talking about the specific new rule guided new counters. That is, no leaders, and no extra political rules nor political counters. pffffewwww long sentence....

Froonp -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/26/2005 10:45:49 AM)

quote:

Partially No 73. Heavy Weapons Units 22.4.17
Partially No 74. Air Cav 22.4.18

I'm so sorry you do not include these ones (basically, counters from AiF / PatiF).

This lowers the possibilities to go to the bitter end (play past '45), because the regular countermixes of WiF and all its add-on without the AiF / PatiF counters do not go past 1945-46. there's nothing more to produce in 1946, and it is bad.
If you add the units of AiF / PatiF to the WiF countermix you have planes, land units & ships to play up to 1952.
I was quite disappointed with this when I played well into 1946 with CWiF. Basicaly there is no more Production Phase.
Even if you only add the planes & ships of AiF / PatiF it is already better.

It's even better because it also adds some planes to the 39-45 force pools and it lowers the possibility of advance building all the '45 force pool in early '44 (sometimes even late '43) for the CW and sometimes Germany (because they have more planes in the force pool, so they have more difficulties to build them all and advance build the next ones), which is very good too.

It would be easy to add the planes & ships of AiF / PatiF to the MWiF game, I can provide you with the CSV containing them all.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/26/2005 12:26:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

Leaders in Flames
Politics in Flames

Please, tell me that you will keep the extra counters needing no new rule (already present in the MWiF countermix, such as the late war normal counters for every major power, especially France & Italy of CS25 (LiF), and the late war planes, the MIL and extra soviet, US & german HQ, the city based volunteers from CS30 (PoliF)), and that when you say that MWiF will not include PoliF & LiF you are talking about the specific new rule guided new counters. That is, no leaders, and no extra political rules nor political counters. pffffewwww long sentence....

Yes to all.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/26/2005 12:34:25 PM)

quote:

quote:

Partially No 73. Heavy Weapons Units 22.4.17
Partially No 74. Air Cav 22.4.18

I'm so sorry you do not include these ones (basically, counters from AiF / PatiF).

This lowers the possibilities to go to the bitter end (play past '45), because the regular countermixes of WiF and all its add-on without the AiF / PatiF counters do not go past 1945-46. there's nothing more to produce in 1946, and it is bad.
If you add the units of AiF / PatiF to the WiF countermix you have planes, land units & ships to play up to 1952.
I was quite disappointed with this when I played well into 1946 with CWiF. Basicaly there is no more Production Phase.
Even if you only add the planes & ships of AiF / PatiF it is already better.

It's even better because it also adds some planes to the 39-45 force pools and it lowers the possibility of advance building all the '45 force pool in early '44 (sometimes even late '43) for the CW and sometimes Germany (because they have more planes in the force pool, so they have more difficulties to build them all and advance build the next ones), which is very good too.

It would be easy to add the planes & ships of AiF / PatiF to the MWiF game, I can provide you with the CSV containing them all.

My goal remains to produce a version of WIF for the computer as soon as I can. There are players who really want Days of Decision. There are those who do not want extra development time spent on adding some of the add-ons we have included in MWIF Product 1. The decision of what to include and what to exclude is guaranteed to disappoint almost everyone to some degree.

Froonp -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/26/2005 2:59:07 PM)

quote:

CWIF optional rules that were discontinued in WIF FE and will not be included in MWIF 1:
Separate die rolls on land combat table,
Territorial conquest, and
Vlassov (replaced by city based volunteers).

About "Territorial conquest", it's not that I would like to nickpick, but I would like you to explain précisely what it is (or what it was), because I still fail to catch it. Do you have a paragraph number for example ?

Thank you.

Froonp -> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons (8/26/2005 3:19:48 PM)

quote:

The decision of what to include and what to exclude is guaranteed to disappoint almost everyone to some degree.

Yes, I agree.
Please, go on with the game Steve !!!!
[:D]

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI