Mega Campaigns (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Speedysteve -> Mega Campaigns (7/27/2005 3:51:53 PM)

Hi all,

Have had SP v7.0 and I purchased Lost Victories Mega Campaign for over a year now and recently re-installed them. Am having a blast with Lost Victories. Brilliant.

Question - in the Generals Edition which i'm tempted to buy it shows 4 MC. What are the other 3 mega campaigns?

How do you Vets rate the Mega Campaigns against each other? Which is best? Pros and cons?

Regards,

Steven

Terminus -> RE: Mega Campaigns (7/27/2005 4:05:10 PM)

The other three Mega Campaigns are Operation Watchtower (Marines on Guadalcanal), Desert Fox (Afrika Korps) and Screaming Eagles (101st Airborne from D-Day forward).

I only own the latter two, and I have to say that I prefer Screaming Eagles. Not that Desert Fox is bad, by any means, but it has a lot more of the really small battles which I prefer.

Speedysteve -> RE: Mega Campaigns (7/27/2005 4:24:29 PM)

Hi Mr T.

So with 101st follows right till end of the war?

Afrika Korps - until end of African fight?

Terminus -> RE: Mega Campaigns (7/27/2005 4:29:52 PM)

Screaming Eagles goes from D-Day, over Market-Garden, to the Bulge, and a few ones after that (including a hypothetical Berlin drop).

As for Desert Fox, I haven't finished it yet, so I can't tell you if it ends at Alamein or goes straight through to Tunesia.

Jackk -> RE: Mega Campaigns (7/27/2005 4:39:46 PM)

I have all 4 and I have to rate them as:

Screaming Eagles (Gets the slight nod for having 4 campaigns)
Watchtower (Massive fun with infantry)
Lost Victories (Still not through it all, massive battles and largest campaign)
Desert Fox (Only last because it was made in an older version that may glitch when used with newer versions)

And as far as I know, SE goes to the end of the war for each of the regiments.
Also, Desert Fox goes to the end of the African Campaign.

Speedysteve -> RE: Mega Campaigns (7/27/2005 4:41:35 PM)

Excellent! Thanks for the info guys.

I think I may have to order this in the near future. I do like those MC.

Are Matrix planning to release any more?

Wild Bill -> RE: Mega Campaigns (7/27/2005 7:13:44 PM)

You should own them all, if you love SPWAW as I do. I was the design coordinator for three of these, Watchtower, Desert Fox and Screaming Eagles. Brent "Grenadier" Richards and his magnificent team did "Lost VIctories," on which I sat in as an advisor and occasional helper.

If you think about it, the four cover major fronts in the war, Pacific, North Africa, West Front and East Front. That's a lot of gaming. Altogether with 4 MCs, you would have close to 500 scenarios and a TON of historical information, pictures and a lot of other goodies.

Screaming Eagles takes you from D-Day to VE Day. Lost Victories covers 1941 of Barbarossa. Desert Fox takes you from April 1941 through Rommel's retreat at the end of that same year. Watchtower covers the Marine Involvement on Guadalcanal from the invasion through the removal of the First Marine DIvision (The Old Breed).

Screaming Eagles stands a little apart because I had the idea of creating four separate campaigns, one on each Regiment, 501st, 502nd, 506th, and the 325th Glider Regiment.

You fight all the way through the war with each regiment with different battles for each regiment so that you don't have to repeat yourself at all.

Thus you actually have four campaigns in one in Screaming Eagles. Now THAT is a bargain.

I want to say by the way, I could never have done these campaigns without the backing, support and endless hours of work by the teams I "hired" and worked with on three I did.

I don't think anymore MCs will be forthcoming. Doing one takes more hours than you could even begin to imagine. They also take a lot out of you mentally. When I finished Screaming Eagles, I had to take a 6 month hiatus from gaming. But looking back it was worth it.

YOu just can't go wrong by having the General's Edition. And remember, when these are gone, there probably won't be anymore and a classic will have been lost to you or anyone else considering purchasing it.

Wild Bill

Speedysteve -> RE: Mega Campaigns (7/29/2005 11:59:14 AM)

Thanks for the info Wild Bill.

I intend to purchase it over the next few weeks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI