RE: When? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Peeking Duck? -> RE: When? (10/20/2013 1:13:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Why don't they write the release date in the product info on Matrix's web site?

Agreed. It's as if they're setting it up for failure? C'mon Matrix promote this thing!

I can't believe I bought my first computer back in 1995 in order to play CWIF which was coming out the next year :)

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: When? (10/20/2013 1:25:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peeking Duck?

quote:

Agreed. It's as if they're setting it up for failure? C'mon Matrix promote this thing!

I can't believe I bought my first computer back in 1995 in order to play CWIF which was coming out the next year :)

The Product Information Page has been getting some updates over the past week.

Ubercat -> RE: When? (10/20/2013 3:29:57 AM)

Along with all the other good reasons for posting the tutorials on YouTube, another comes to mind.

If we have access to the videos now, we can get ready for the release. Like many gamers, when I get a new game I want to dive right in and often don't bother reading up until I discover that I don't have a clue what I'm doing. Since we can't play for the next 2.5 weeks anyway, why not spend the time doing what we won't want to take the time with when we actually have the game?

Joseignacio -> RE: When? (10/21/2013 12:14:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

O sh*t!!!

I hope this update is not what I fear:

World In Flames

Release Date: Coming Soon

When it used to be:

Release Date: 7th Nov

wodin -> RE: When? (10/21/2013 12:20:07 PM)

Flashpoint Campaigns, Command MANO and now here...all these games have had someone asking why it hasn't been promoted.

I asked over at the General Discussion forum about advertising..and was told it wasn't worth it.

quote:

quote:

WIF_Killzone -> RE: When? (10/21/2013 11:55:58 PM)

True dat, my worry exactly.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

quote:

quote:

quote:

O sh*t!!!

I hope this update is not what I fear:

World In Flames

Release Date: Coming Soon

When it used to be:

Release Date: 7th Nov

NeverMan -> RE: When? (10/22/2013 1:50:50 AM)

quote:

quote:

If CWIF made you get your first computer then you should thank it regardless.

JudgeDredd -> RE: When? (10/23/2013 1:43:58 PM)

Bit confused

First off, nice to see venomous posts from all quarters seem to be just about everywhere at Matrix nowadays - or at least in the active forums. Glad to see you're all still getting along. [8|]

Secondly, I saw a post on here that said the release date was announced on the product page - but all I see is Coming Soon...I presume that is the latest stance?

Thirdly, well, why bother asking about price...it only kicks up a **** storm here - so I'll wait and see on that. [:'(]

And last but by no means least, if this game is due out soon, then my congratulations Steve. I'm sure you will be relieved to have this one eventually put out to the public. Good luck and I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

Lingering Frey -> RE: When? (10/23/2013 11:01:30 PM)

I just noticed something on the product page that I never considered. For some reason, I assumed netplay would allow several players to play in the same game. I had planned to round up some of my old WiF gamers to try it out. It says on the product page that the number of players is "1-2". Are there any plans to eventually implement more players in the same way that AI will be attempted?

Numdydar -> RE: When? (10/23/2013 11:05:16 PM)

Eventually up to six can play, but that will be not for a while yet. Like 12 month+

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: When? (10/23/2013 11:29:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Eventually up to six can play, but that will be not for a while yet. Like 12 month+

I want that to be within 3 months.

Lingering Frey -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 12:00:37 PM)

Great news! Thank you.

Lingering Frey -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 12:06:21 PM)

So....ummm....I have a question.

Once you are done with the AI and other additions to the game...

When can we expect the Days of Decision expansion? [:D]

Joseignacio -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 12:39:43 PM)

Hopefully much earlier will be FiF and Raw 8.X expansions. ;)

PaxMondo -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 1:45:48 PM)

Steve,

and sorry if this has already been asked, but is there an ETA on the AI?

Thanks.

Joseignacio -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 2:11:24 PM)

I have the vague idea that it was thought it could come about 1 year later. But time is a relative variable in this project, as you can see. [:D]

PaxMondo -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 2:28:23 PM)

quote:

I have the vague idea that it was thought it could come about 1 year later. But time is a relative variable in this project, as you can see. [:D]

Thanks. So the plan is to get Netplay up and running first and then work on the AI? Ok. Appreciate the info.

Neilster -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 2:34:22 PM)

A lot of AI work has been done already: Strategies and formulating how stuff can be encoded but obviously that's a long way from actually programming and then testing it.

Cheers, Neilster

Joseignacio -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 2:53:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

Thanks. So the plan is to get Netplay up and running first and then work on the AI? Ok. Appreciate the info.

Yes, if I remember right it will have solo and "multiplayer for 2" at release. Soon afterwards (few month) multi for ¿6?, and soon too, PBEM, both as free patches.

A new and separate project will ve the AI version, this will be sold as a new game or version of the game (MWIF 2?) and it seems the buyers of MWIF 1 could get a special price (if I remember well, there has been so much especulation it's hard to day what was the definitive data).

Neilster -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 3:02:06 PM)

Steve's comments indicate that the addition of the AI would cost the (release 2) AI version by itself minus the first release cost but then that that may be revised. So I don't think we know if there will be a discount for having bought MWiF 1.

Cheers, Neilster

Joseignacio -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 3:52:32 PM)

That's what I was referring too, thanks for bringing the right wording.

So the idea is that the second Price minus the first versión Price would be MWIF+AI Price. For me this is a (probably buge) discount in the final Price.

And of course Steve was not positive about it. Things are on the air yet.

JudgeDredd -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 3:52:39 PM)

For the benefit of people who have never played the boardgame...

How does the game play for two player? Are ALL countries required to be "owned" by a player? If not, what's to stop minors being swallowed up by greedy expansionists knowing no-one is looking after that country?

And how does the game play pbem? Specifically, how does a turn play out? How many emails are required to complete a turn? I specifically remember EiA having a very convoluted pbem system - not through the developers issues - but because it was a representation of a boardgame that had to be flitted between players many times before a turn was complete...and sometimes for a simple reaction fwir.

Joseignacio -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 3:56:36 PM)

JD, if all the countries wouldnt need to be played by humans that means an AI, There is no AI for now, so 99,99% one player i allied, the other axis.

As for PBEM this is a very complex matter, considering the huge amount of turns, impulses, phases and subphases in WIF, most or all of which come after an answer from your opponent. I have no idea and I guess not much has been explained yet.

Neilster -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 4:07:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

How does the game play for two player? Are ALL countries required to be "owned" by a player? If not, what's to stop minors being swallowed up by greedy expansionists knowing no-one is looking after that country?

And how does the game play pbem? Specifically, how does a turn play out? How many emails are required to complete a turn? I specifically remember EiA having a very convoluted pbem system - not through the developers issues - but because it was a representation of a boardgame that had to be flitted between players many times before a turn was complete...and sometimes for a simple reaction fwir.

Often, minors are aligned with major powers, so invading those minors has consequences. It also affects American public opinion. Some minors, like Sweden or Turkey are no pushover anyway.

There is a recommended system for assigning major powers based on the number of players (up to 6). The initial release handles a maximum of 2 players. Multiplayer is coming.

PBEM will not be part of the initial release and the system is still in flux. There is a lot of interaction possible that normally would require a flurry of emails but Steve is formulating a system to automate some of that based on preferences.

Cheers, Neilster

Numdydar -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 4:16:18 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Steve is looking to get PBEM working very shortly after release. He is hoping to have some combination of PBEM and NetPlay that can be switched on the fly. So if there is no high level of interaction between players, production say, PBEM is used. If there is a major naval battle with subs, land and CV based planes, that could require a lot of back and forth, the game can be changed over to a NetPlay session to resolve this and then go back to the PBEM system once the battle was resolved.

This is the current thinking. Which may or may not actually happen since only NetPlay is currently coded for the game. PBEM will be added, so at worst case there will be a lot of files being transfered back and forth at worst case.

One other option that was discussed is a 'standing orders' type system. Where each turn the player can set 'default orders' for a few types of events, like naval interception, Germany and Russia normally No as a made up example, to reduce the amount of interaction where files are needed to transfered.

From Steve's comments, he is fully aware of the PBEM issues and I am sure that he will do everything technically feasible to reduce the amount of file transfers needed in order to have the game flow. We will just have to wait until early next year to see what the final solution will actually look like.

JudgeDredd -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 4:19:07 PM)

By netplay you mean sitting at a computer playing your opponent real time?

As in - both players contact each other and make dates and times to meet online and churn out a game?

Neilster -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 4:26:26 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Steve is looking to get PBEM working very shortly after release. He is hoping to have some combination of PBEM and NetPlay that can be switched on the fly. So if there is no high level of interaction between players, production say, PBEM is used. If there is a major naval battle with subs, land and CV based planes, that could require a lot of back and forth, the game can be changed over to a NetPlay session to resolve this and then go back to the PBEM system once the battle was resolved.

This is the current thinking. Which may or may not actually happen since only NetPlay is currently coded for the game. PBEM will be added, so at worst case there will be a lot of files being transfered back and forth at worst case.

One other option that was discussed is a 'standing orders' type system. Where each turn the player can set 'default orders' for a few types of events, like naval interception, Germany and Russia normally No as a made up example, to reduce the amount of interaction where files are needed to transfered.

From Steve's comments, he is fully aware of the PBEM issues and I am sure that he will do everything technically feasible to reduce the amount of file transfers needed in order to have the game flow. We will just have to wait until early next year to see what the final solution will actually look like.

Ah yes...you are right. The standing orders thing will probably come second. My mistake.

Cheers, Neilster

Neilster -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 4:28:21 PM)

quote:

By netplay you mean sitting at a computer playing your opponent real time?

As in - both players contact each other and make dates and times to meet online and churn out a game?

Yes. From memory there will be a "lobby" where players can get online together. Some Matrix server I think.

Cheers, Neilster

Grotius -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 4:47:02 PM)

That's right. Right now the "lobby" is called the "private forum." And yes, Netplay means you and your opponent play at the same time.

Eradanfaroth -> RE: When? (10/24/2013 5:28:38 PM)

Will this topic be definitively closed the 7th of November ?

Page: <<   < prev  118 119 [120] 121 122   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI