Great game, but it REALLY needs an option to speed up animations. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar

Pu -> Great game, but it REALLY needs an option to speed up animations. (8/2/2005 6:00:08 PM)

Hello, I've recently purchased the game and I'm enjoying it a great deal, particularly the AI and unit balance. You guys should do a risk style campaign map sometime [:)]

What I DON'T like very much about the game is just how long it takes to play a battle. It would be much easier to bare if I didn't have to watch the stupid hand swoop in for a gazillionth time (after a short pause mind you) to take a stand off the map. Do I really need to see the full arrow barage each time? If the hand, arrows, melee combat, movement and screen scrolling animations were drastically sped up, players could save at least a quarter of their time.

If an option for this were implemented, it would pretty much guarantee a buy of whatever sequel you come up with, but as it is I just can't waste my hours watching cute animations over and over.

On a side note, I can't imagine anyone playing without the height map, so does it have to be drawn with a thick, solid black line? Why not a thin dotted blue line, or something that doesn't pierce the eye.

Cheers! [:)]

Deride -> RE: Great game, but it REALLY needs an option to speed up animations. (8/2/2005 6:05:35 PM)

Pu,

You didn't hear about it from me, but you can hit F10 to scroll through various playback speeds. (I believe there are 3 of them to go as fast as 3x normal playback.)

Deride

krrpt -> RE: Great game, but it REALLY needs an option to speed up animations. (8/2/2005 6:48:24 PM)

Praise be!

The game is now playable. Thanks for sharing this bit of hidden trickery.

Pu -> RE: Great game, but it REALLY needs an option to speed up animations. (8/2/2005 10:58:34 PM)

Tried it out, and it's perfect, thanks! Now I can play the game instead of watching it! You guys should consider making it into a documented feature in the future though, because the few reviews that I've seen online mention this as the main problem.

On a different topic, what is the difference between a charge and a regular attack, "to hit" are usually the same, is there a damage bonus applied?

Deride -> RE: Great game, but it REALLY needs an option to speed up animations. (8/2/2005 11:08:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pu
Tried it out, and it's perfect, thanks! Now I can play the game instead of watching it! You guys should consider making it into a documented feature in the future though, because the few reviews that I've seen online mention this as the main problem.

Only reason why it is not an "official" feature is that we used it interally for development, but we did not fully test it. So, encoutering some errors, having sounds overlap, etc. are all still possible. Suffice to say, however, our next game will have this feature built-in.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pu
On a different topic, what is the difference between a charge and a regular attack, "to hit" are usually the same, is there a damage bonus applied?

The manual actaully has some tables that provide full details on this. However, I would be happy to give you the general jist:

1) When charging, you can only attack in a straight line (except during reserve phase when you can charge diagonally forward)
2) When you charge, you get an additional bonus to hit the first time you attack an enemy. When using infantry, this can be especially devistating.
3) Some units are able to counter charges better than others. For example, infantry get a bonus when attacking charging mounted units.

Deride

DaveB -> RE: Great game, but it REALLY needs an option to speed up animations. (9/28/2005 11:54:56 PM)

Thanks for F10 Deride,
that really has improved the experience!

lancerunolfsson -> RE: Great game, but it REALLY needs an option to speed up animations. (10/12/2005 2:21:24 PM)

Does the F10 work in Alexander too? I am more interested in that period than Caesar. Have not bought either game yet but animations that don't go fast or can not be turned OFF are real deal breakers for me.

mbelew -> RE: Great game, but it REALLY needs an option to speed up animations. (10/13/2005 1:03:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancerunolfsson

Does the F10 work in Alexander too?

I could request it of the Powers that Be if and when Alexander is patched again. I'd like to stress that the F10 feature is undocumented and unsupported because it affects more than just animation playback.

Cheers,

Marshall

lancerunolfsson -> RE: Great game, but it REALLY needs an option to speed up animations. (10/13/2005 2:44:55 AM)

thanks

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI