How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

In Harms Way -> How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (8/26/2005 5:34:50 AM)

All,

I typically play the Japanese against the ole 'puter, but recently decided to try the US before hopping into the PBEM world. I "discovered" that as the US in Scen 15, you can move Pearl Harbor ships out prior to the attack. To me this seems unrealistic and very gamey. I thought there would be a setting in the game to lock PH ships, but nothing seems to prohibit unrealistic movement outside of picking historical first turn.

My question is how do people in PBEM games prohibit this action? (gentlemans agreement?), or if it is allowed, what strategies do people play?
Hope for a daytime surface action by guessing the IJN TF location?
Run fast for the West Coast?
Sit tight and weather the storm?

Thanks all for the info!

In Harms Way "lurker no more"

rogueusmc -> RE: How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (8/26/2005 5:38:01 AM)

Use 'Historical First Turn' option.

niceguy2005 -> RE: How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (8/26/2005 5:55:06 AM)

Also, in PBEM games most players have a house rule stating that you can't move ships from PH.

[image]local://upfiles/17264/A699B9FBE7A14290A934FCB674B629F8.gif[/image]

BossGnome -> RE: How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (8/26/2005 11:18:30 AM)

the rule i use when playing is "the allies can't move anything on the first turn, exept what is in China.

AmiralLaurent -> RE: How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (8/26/2005 11:32:58 AM)

My own home rule is that no orders can be given in PH or for Dutch units, that ships may move in PI and orders be given to air units but they can't move in PI and that British and Chinese units may do everything they want.

On the other hand, Japanese moves are limited to bases they may have reached without drawing too much attention. Sending a full division to Timor or Palembang on day one is gamey, Allied will have reacted far before this date.

Using the "historical first turn" settings is avoiding any discussion between PBEM players and I used it most of the times... even if I sometimes cancelled landings and loaded back troops at the end of the day one.

Feinder -> RE: How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (8/26/2005 3:51:43 PM)

Or you can just fire up Scen #16.

-F-

In Harms Way -> RE: How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (8/26/2005 6:43:01 PM)

Thank you everyone for the information. It sounds like a gentlemans agreement works best. I feel the first turn really sets the stage for the entire first 3-4 months and didn't want to be locked into the historical first turn or a gamey unhistorical PH result.

Cheers!

Skyros -> RE: How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (8/26/2005 7:10:19 PM)

In Harms Way, one of my favorite Wayne Movies!

RUPD3658 -> RE: How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (9/1/2005 11:17:50 PM)

Here is what to do when the sun comes up on the 8th:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=754232&key=surviving%2Cfirst%2Csix%2Cmonths

esteban -> RE: How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (9/5/2005 10:10:01 AM)

I usually play with a house rule that each side can only give orders to their ships that are not in port on turn one. That gives the Japanese player some flexibility without locking them into repeating Pearl Harbor over and over, while making sure that the Allies are not barraged by about 25 Japanese invasion forces on turn one.

I also usually restrict the Japanese to one port attack on turn one, that must be done with carrier-based aircraft, and that the Japanese can only land troops within 12-15 hexes of one of their own bases. So no overunning Surabaya on turn one (though I suppose that you could bomb it with your carriers, though there are other, better targets.)

In Harms Way -> RE: How to play US Navy Dec7 in Scen15? (9/10/2005 6:20:23 AM)

Thanks to everyone for the information. I really appreciate it. In further preparation for an eventual dip into the PBEM world I have been looking into Allied production and had a question on the setting "Player defined upgrades" Does turning this on benefit the US or Japanese? I would say if the Japanese are going for autovictory then it benefits them (only marginal though), but otherwise I would think it would be a huge bonus for the Allied overall. Having all your bombers be B17's early or B29's later and only the latest fighters would be a nightmare. What do most people play in PBEM games?

Thanks again!

In Harms Way, aka "in the WiTP kiddie pool now, but eyeing the big pool"[8|]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI