Hurricane Katrina (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

KG Erwin -> Hurricane Katrina (8/29/2005 12:40:45 AM)

This one has now become a category 5 (winds 165 mph), which reaches catastrophic proportions. It is currently headed towards Louisiana/Mississippi. A visibly-shaken President Bush was already issuing disaster declarations for these two states.

Terminus -> RE: Hurricane Katrina (8/29/2005 12:46:59 AM)

It's gonna be really bad, that's for sure... I'm crossing my fingers for those people in and around the Big Easy. Looks like New Orleans may have used up its hurricane luck.

Zakhal -> RE: Hurricane Katrina (8/29/2005 1:48:05 AM)

Theyre saying the floodwalls will not stand the pressure. A city 1.4 million is going to be destroyed:

[img]http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/5425/elevationmap9ox.gif[/img]

Live webfeed of the storm:

http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=beloint_wwltv&props=livenoad

Terminus -> RE: Hurricane Katrina (8/29/2005 1:59:30 AM)

Like I said, really bad news...[:(]

rhondabrwn -> RE: Hurricane Katrina (8/29/2005 4:54:44 AM)

Thanks for that link to the live video feed. I don't have TV out here in Tsaile so Internet is my only source of news.

This is a disaster of Biblical proportions facing this city. The CNN video interview with the FEMA director for New Orleans didn't provide any good news... a worst case disaster will shut this city down for at least six months before it begins to be livable. That is so scary!

I'm now very happy to be at 7,000 feet above sea level in high desert.

ShermanM4 -> RE: Hurricane Katrina (8/29/2005 5:45:25 AM)

quote:

No we don't really worry about stuff like this at all out here. [:)] In fact we worry about there not being any water at all.

I hope that many people will pull together through public, civic, and church involvement to help these people out just like they did for the Tsunami aftermath.

rhondabrwn -> RE: Hurricane Katrina (8/29/2005 6:00:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ShermanM4

quote:

No we don't really worry about stuff like this at all out here. [:)] In fact we worry about there not being any water at all.

I hope that many people will pull together through public, civic, and church involvement to help these people out just like they did for the Tsunami aftermath.

They are going to need our help... dust off the checkbook people.

Oh yea, and get ready for $3 a gallon for gas (and more). This hurricane is going to disable a huge amount of our refining capacity for gasoline. Oil production in the Gulf has already been shut down, but it is the refinery loss that is going to really hurt.

rhondabrwn -> Start the Donations! (8/29/2005 6:55:15 AM)

Time to start your donations. The Red Cross is going to really need our support for this one.

American Red Cross

While there are always plenty of charities, I think the Red Cross is clearly the most effective group to support as this disaster looms.

I'm still watching the live video coverage at the link provided above. They are shutting down their Bourbon Street studio and evacuating out of the city. The broadcasters seem in shock that they are actually having to implement their disaster plans... it's never been done before.

This keeps looking worse all the time. [:(]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Start the Donations! (8/29/2005 8:22:36 AM)

Our prayers go out to everyone in the path of this storm, particularly New Orleans, based on the current track. I fervently hope that the worst case does not come to pass. I cannot believe the size and power of this storm, good luck and stay safe everyone. Seek high ground and strong shelter if you are not well out of the path!

Regards,

- Erik

rhondabrwn -> New Video Stream (8/29/2005 8:43:26 AM)

The link given above quit working when they pulled out of their studio and evacuated to their emergency site. The following links works now:

Live Coverage Link

They are pretty somber... the reality of how bad this is going to be is sinking in. They are all saying this is the worst case scenario coming true. It couldn't be any worse.

I don't want to see it, but I can't help watching [:(]

rhondabrwn -> Slight Improvement (8/29/2005 12:40:36 PM)

The storm is now down to category 4 and it shifted slightly to the east so New Orleans may not bear the brunt of the eye wall, but they may be grasping at straws. Time will tell.

Terminus -> RE: Slight Improvement (8/29/2005 4:37:15 PM)

As somebody on CNN said it, "if you're in the path of it, you don't care if it's a category 4 or 5". They ARE saying that it MIGHT not be 100% as bad as they thought yesterday.

Puukkoo -> RE: Slight Improvement (8/29/2005 5:05:26 PM)

They said that the hurricane has turned eastward. It may not hit New Orleans as badly as predicted.

Terminus -> RE: Slight Improvement (8/29/2005 5:06:05 PM)

The roof of the Superdome is coming off...

rhondabrwn -> Check Local Coverage (8/30/2005 2:16:53 PM)

National news coverage seems totally inadequate. You really need to view this coverage from the New Orleans TV station. The mayor of New Orleans reports that 80% of the city is underwater, bodies are floating everywhere, people are trapped in attics and screaming for assistance. The local coverage is a lot more grim than the "New Orleans Escapes the Bullet" headlines you see on the National media.

Streaming Video

Terminus -> RE: Check Local Coverage (8/30/2005 2:21:59 PM)

Strange that the two are so different...[&:]

rhondabrwn -> RE: Check Local Coverage (8/30/2005 3:35:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Strange that the two are so different...[&:]

I don't understand it either. Of course, I can only view the CNN streaming video coverage and read their website, I don't have access to their broadcast/cable coverage.

benpark -> RE: Check Local Coverage (8/30/2005 11:56:42 PM)

Cripes. I hope my pal RiverBravo is alright down there, as well as any of the rest of you. Got my fingers crossed.

Terminus -> RE: Check Local Coverage (8/31/2005 12:09:44 AM)

The death toll is apparently around 90 by now. God knows how long it's going to take to make the affected areas habitable again...

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: Check Local Coverage (8/31/2005 1:12:16 AM)

oh sh1t I was in Biloxi last year in April/May and had a great time there and now there is not one stone near the other - sucks big time.

Terminus -> RE: Check Local Coverage (8/31/2005 1:15:06 AM)

Nice sig quote. Too bad 9/10ths of the board won't understand it![;)]

rhondabrwn -> RE: Check Local Coverage (8/31/2005 2:46:46 AM)

Looking at today's CNN headlines, it seems like they've finally gotten the right picture of what has happened.
Greenpeace is raising the chemical pollution flag... haven't really seen any mainstream coverage about toxic waste release from New Orleans area petrochemical plants. I know it was forecast that New Orleans could turn into a permanent toxic waste dump if something like this ever happened.

My daughter was in New Orleans about 5 weeks ago for some kind of Marine Biology conference and she told me last night that "everyone" was talking about the elevated Hurricane risk AND the huge exposure to chemical release due to flooding. It sounds like the nightmare may be coming true.

If so, the full impact of this disaster hasn't been conveyed yet to the general public.

I've instructed all of my 7th and 8th graders to watch news coverage tonight. Initially, their reaction was "didn't know, don't care" but once we got some video streams going on the classroom computers the horror of it all started to sink in. I hate to have such an example to use as a teaching aid, but Navajo youth tend to be isolated from the world - which is something I have to help change. This magnitude of death and destruction breaks through their disinterest. Most of them had no idea where New Orleans was even located, but now we're talking about the geography of the disaster.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Check Local Coverage (9/1/2005 9:11:16 PM)

This is a pretty good map of the levee breaches and flooding. We are fortunate that the people we knew in the area survived, but I would not be surprised if the count of those who did not reaches the thousands and it will take years for the city to be fully functional again. It's a given now that the city is lost, that all need to be evacuated, I'm just hoping that they can rescue those still alive before we lose a lot more people.

Levee Breach Map

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins -> Relief Organization Links (9/1/2005 9:13:27 PM)

If you want to donate to help with recovery and aid for the survivors of the hurricane, this is a good collection of links for charities and other NGOs that are going to be in the area:

Instapundit Flood Relief Links

nukkxx5058 -> RE: Relief Organization Links (9/1/2005 11:02:38 PM)

Good luck to all of you in New Orleans (but also mississipi and evrywhere the hurricane stroke) etc.) from a French guy ... It's horrible to see such a great city totaly detroyed !

DamoclesX -> RE: Relief Organization Links (9/2/2005 1:30:52 AM)

this is nuts

I just found out about this, it looks like New Orleans has been devistated, snipers shooting people, armed men roaming the streets at night, people starving, I cant belive how insane things have gotten in an -american- city.

Is the city a total write off? What I have seen on cnn it look like over half of the city is under water.

rhondabrwn -> RE: Relief Organization Links (9/2/2005 8:34:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DamoclesX

this is nuts

I just found out about this, it looks like New Orleans has been devistated, snipers shooting people, armed men roaming the streets at night, people starving, I cant belive how insane things have gotten in an -american- city.

Is the city a total write off? What I have seen on cnn it look like over half of the city is under water.

I'm sure every effort will be made to rebuild New Orleans, but there is no way that I would personally rebuild in a below sea-level coastal city. I'll bet a lot of New Orleans citizens probably are feeling that way and when they get an insurance check are going to head elsewhere to rebuild their lives.

I don't think anyone has addressed the toxic waste issue which could leave the area uninhabitable. I'm hearing recurring statements about the waters polluted with sewage and petrochemicals, but no hard facts on how dangerous this stuff will be or what the long term effects will be when the water is pumped out and this toxic sediment remains.

I do have some good news, my daughter got a call from one of her best friends who lives in the suburbs of New Orleans and they are high and dry and housing over a dozen refugees (plus 3 dogs and a cat)in their home. There will eventually be heartwarming stories about individual heroism, sacrifice, generosity, and compassion coming out of this. Through all the bad news, we have to remember that Americans are out there helping Americans. It may not be apparent... it certainly isn't going to be nearly enough, but it's a start.

If you haven't donated money to the Red Cross or other relief organization yet... why haven't you?

Cmdrcain -> RE: Relief Organization Links (9/3/2005 5:44:06 AM)

The Original New orleans which is French Quarter and some area around should perhaps be rebuilt/repaired, however the areas of what were Marsh before they expanded the City and so created the problemic problem of modern New Orleans should be wrote off, left sunk and not rebuilt, those areas never should have been drained and built on.

rhondabrwn -> RE: Relief Organization Links (9/4/2005 3:21:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cmdrcain

The Original New orleans which is French Quarter and some area around should perhaps be rebuilt/repaired, however the areas of what were Marsh before they expanded the City and so created the problemic problem of modern New Orleans should be wrote off, left sunk and not rebuilt, those areas never should have been drained and built on.

I'm not an engineer, of course, but maybe major low-lying areas could be left unbuilt, dug out and turned into lakes, and the fill from the excavations used to build up safe areas that are above sea level for reconstruction?

The big problem isn't so much the loss of a great tourist destination, but the loss of a major port. There is no question that a Gulf Port on the Mississippi River is something we cannot do without. Midwest farmers are going to be totally screwed this harvest as their grain can't be shipped through New Orleans. Inbound oil, of course, is another well known casualty of the loss of the Port of New Orleans.

No.. in some form, we need New Orleans, but I don't see it ever being the city it was before the storm hit. [:(]

RBWhite -> RE: Relief Organization Links (9/4/2005 3:37:29 AM)

Here in New Jersey million & millions of dollars are spent dredging sand from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean to make the beaches bigger. A couple of what we call Noreasters (Storms) over a few years and the beaches are right back to where they were. Might as well just have thrown that money right in the ocean.

The Oceans will always reclaim what was theirs, eventually.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI