PBEM Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815

mpa541 -> PBEM Question (8/30/2005 8:25:22 AM)

A quick question for someone on the playtest crew.

(Sorry if this has been dealt with already)

In a PBEM game how is the electronic hand off between players handled?

Is it everyone plots their turns and sends them in, or does it require a complex passing around of the current "turn" file, like in the traditional board game?

(we have a group of 8 players who are really keen to do the strategic stuff via email, and the tactical suff using miniatures)

Thanks

Mike

Pippin -> RE: PBEM Question (8/30/2005 12:33:02 PM)

Ok let's assume we are starting. A host does the main initialization (ordering) file then sends that to all players. Then starting with the first country in line, that player does his set-up file, then e-mails it to all players too. Each player can see the set-up of each country as they are all being completed, however he can NOT do his own-setup until it is exactly his turn. And as soon as he is done, he e-mails his turn out to everyone and the next guy in line continues.....

it's 5 am here, I hope I am still making sense....

mpa541 -> RE: PBEM Question (8/30/2005 12:51:26 PM)

Thanks Pip,

that makes perfect sense.

So with the GM's ability to override a slow player, it can work well.

can a player begin plotting their turn before their "turn"...ie plot moves out of sequence then when their actual turn arrives make a few fine tunes then send?

Mike

Pippin -> RE: PBEM Question (8/30/2005 2:29:35 PM)

Well yes, and no. I would have to say no for now on your actual moves, but with set-ups that is a different matter.

You can use a default set-up file to quickly get your new game going, or you can save as many set-ups as you want. For example, I have different set-up files configured for Britain, one for going full shipping south, another planned for instant invasion of portugal, another for pure defence, etc. These can also be tweaked after loaded.

However, pre-saves for doing your other phases before your time is currently not possible. Though there may be a work around if you realy feel you have to and cant wait.

AdmiralN -> RE: PBEM Question (8/30/2005 9:29:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: instant invasion of portugal
[X(][X(][X(]

In 1805?!

Well, truly saxon blood runs through your veins...[;)]

Pippin -> RE: PBEM Question (8/31/2005 1:55:39 AM)

It is worth quite a bit in gold and manpower. The sooner I get it the better.

AdmiralN -> RE: PBEM Question (8/31/2005 6:17:51 PM)

Of course, and it has a 12s navy... the thing is that even Spain wants it, and in the beginning GB is very weak and doesn't have an army to support a war with another MP, not even Spain.
It's not avisable having against Spain for another, more serious reason; you're at war with France already and if you go to war with Spain your navy will start facing troubles.

Better to let Spain have Portugal in the first years, then hit hard when you have built a proper army.

Daniel Jax -> RE: PBEM Question (9/1/2005 4:57:46 PM)

got to agree with AdmiralN.

Instant invasion of Portugal: very brave Pippin, very brave. 8D]

You'd better have the Russkies on side (and of course their fleet is probably frozen in at the start of game)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI