Analysis of Default XML with Fictional Players v2.0 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

BryanK -> Analysis of Default XML with Fictional Players v2.0 (9/10/2005 3:37:11 AM)

Okay...
Took longer than i had anticipated, but I finally found some time to pull all the data together. It's in the slides that you will find by following this link:
http://home.comcast.net/~zbryanknight/Testing_Puresim_XML_2.0.ppt

Here are the quick hits:
1. Stats are pretty consistent from year to year despite the XML multipliers. The most notable exception is 3b, which is *dead* on
2. The distribution of stat outputs for individual players is more skewed towards higher values and less diverse than in real life. (i.e. there's a big clump of "good" players in puresim instead of having some "good" players, a smaller bunch who are "really good", and a few stars)

This analysis is a little less rock solid than the stuff I do at my job... mostly because the time investment would be rather killer if I got this stuff totally buttoned up. So I'd wind up doing hardcore analysis for like a week straight between home and office... and that's kinda draining.
So if you think I jumped to a conclusion, or if anyone has any questions about my assertions -- specifically what's on the "Recomendations" slide, feel free to ask, and I'll elaborate on my thinking.

Shaun -
I can do more of the analysis that's put forth in section 2 -- the distribution piece -- but it's rather time intensive. The same basic points are put forth in section 3, just in a less concise fashion. Given that I have a stack of grad school applications to get through and a huge project at work, it'd be helpful to know exactly what you'd like to see for anything to be actionable before I went ahead and did it.

~Bryan

DandricSturm -> RE: Analysis of Default XML with Fictional Players v2.0 (9/10/2005 5:48:16 AM)

Vwry cool looking graphs and all and some interesting results, some of which surprise me. (Always seemed to me like K totals were too low.) Perhaps the reason Puresim emulates 1990's baseball is because that's when it was initially developed?

lynchjm24 -> RE: Analysis of Default XML with Fictional Players v2.0 (9/10/2005 2:10:19 PM)

Thanks for the analysis, it was enlightening.

How about a look at the salary structure ;)

roo23 -> RE: Analysis of Default XML with Fictional Players v2.0 (9/13/2005 2:38:24 AM)

Very cool analysis - this is just the sort of thing we need to tinker with if we are to approach the *ideal* simulation... Anecdotally, I have started an association in 1919, importing 'real' players from Lahman. Now up to 1934 and I think I'm seeing similar results... Though strikeouts are about right - stayed low until recently... Of course this is only one ass'n -

Keep up the good work it's feedback like this that makes this such a great, living, breathing game.

- Chris

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI