Mod - Can I use this icon...? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Feinder -> Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 9:56:03 PM)

[:)]

Terminus -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 10:02:04 PM)

I hope you're prepared to wait forever for an answer to that one...[8D]

Feinder -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 10:19:40 PM)

I suppose it -is- easier to ask forgiveness than permission...

:^)

-F-

mogami -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 10:32:41 PM)

Hi, Well since it is not directed at anyone particular and is meant as humor it does not offend me. Does it offend anyone else here?
(If so you can't use it)

Terminus -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 10:39:45 PM)

Doesn't offend me, but I'd like to know when that picture was taken.[X(]

rtrapasso -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 10:41:57 PM)

I suspect it was a V-sign before someone along the line got creative with their image editor.

Terminus -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 10:44:26 PM)

The interesting bit is that Vinnie is pointing the back of his hand toward the camera. The English two-finger salute is done that way too, but the V-sign is with the palm forward.

rtrapasso -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 10:46:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

The interesting bit is the Vinnie is pointing the back of his hand toward the camera. The English two-finger salute is done that way too, but the V-sign is with the palm forward.

Too true, but Winston (and Margaret Thatcher) were said (by several historians) to not know of the English two-fingered salute (since they were upper-class) and have made this error on more than one occasion (much to the shock/amusement of the British citizens).

BTW - do you know the origin of the British two-fingered salute??

Terminus -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 10:47:46 PM)

The Hundred Years War. The French threatened to amputate the fore and middle fingers of any English longbowmen they captured, and before battle, the English would taunt the French by showing them they still had their fingers.

rtrapasso -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 10:51:07 PM)

Cookie to Terminus!!![8D]

Feinder -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 11:01:48 PM)

I found a picture of the olde geezer with the "V" sign, and "enhanced" it...

[;)]

-F-

Big B -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 11:08:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

I found a picture of the olde geezer with the "V" sign, and "enhanced" it...

[;)]

-F-

You mean Winnie only lost one finger to the French? I didn't know he even used the Longbow?![:D]

Apollo11 -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 11:16:14 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

The Hundred Years War. The French threatened to amputate the fore and middle fingers of any English longbowmen they captured, and before battle, the English would taunt the French by showing them they still had their fingers.

Knowledge of the people here never stops to amaze me! [X(]

Leo "Apollo11"

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 11:40:58 PM)

a) I cant see anything
b) sent in da turn mate [;)]

[:)]

Brausepaul -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 11:43:46 PM)

quote:

Knowledge of the people here never stops to amaze me!

Yupp...btw, which countries know this sign? When I was in Delaware last year the locals did not (long story).

rtrapasso -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 11:48:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

quote:

Knowledge of the people here never stops to amaze me!

Yupp...btw, which countries know this sign? When I was in Delaware last year the locals did not (long story).

Probably mostly Great Britain, and maybe some of her colonies, or recently ex-colonies. A lot of French probably know it. INDIVIDUALS in various countries might know if, but might not understand it unless they knew the USER was British. So, if you, as a Brit, used it on a Delaware motorist (for example) and they didn't know you were British, they wouldn't get it even if they knew what the sign meant to the British...

Feinder -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 11:50:43 PM)

I'm at the office now. I -wish- I was working on the turn... :^)

Will have it for you tonight. First week of turns are paifully slow. May "most" things in motion that I want to.

Those first Kamikaze sqdns didn't do crap. Would have loved to have seen some of them bang into one of your CVEs tho...

-F-

Terminus -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 11:51:44 PM)

Just don't come whining here if you lose your fingers by using it where you shouldn't have! [;)]

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/15/2005 11:52:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

I'm at the office now. I -wish- I was working on the turn... :^)

Will have it for you tonight. First week of turns are paifully slow. May "most" things in motion that I want to.

Those first Kamikaze sqdns didn't do crap. Would have loved to have seen some of them bang into one of your CVEs tho...

-F-

ne mas problemas mate ;-) take your time, glad that you are rested :) hehe - cu later

Brausepaul -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/16/2005 12:00:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Probably mostly Great Britain, and maybe some of her colonies, or recently ex-colonies. A lot of French probably know it. INDIVIDUALS in various countries might know if, but might not understand it unless they knew the USER was British. So, if you, as a Brit, used it on a Delaware motorist (for example) and they didn't know you were British, they wouldn't get it even if they knew what the sign meant to the British...

To put a long story short: a friend (American) of a person I had the bad luck to know went to Britain and "waived" at another friend in a crowded church. Guess what his waiving was taken for?[:D]

Btw, very interesting, do you feel offended if you had absolutely no clue what the other one is talking about? If someone gave me the two-finger-salute I most probably would lough, it just doesn't have any meaning to me.

Terminus -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/16/2005 12:02:11 AM)

Oooh... So unfortunate![:D]

Captain Cruft -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/16/2005 1:58:19 AM)

Couple of things:

1) Margaret Thatcher isn't upper class.
2) I would be very surprised if Churchill didn't know the meaning of the two fingered salute.

3) I am not offended :)

tsimmonds -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/16/2005 2:13:14 AM)

Am I the only one made suspicious by the fact that Churchill and W.C. Fields were never seen together....?[;)]

Captain Cruft -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/16/2005 2:16:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Am I the only one made suspicious by the fact that Churchill and W.C. Fields were never seen together....?[;)]

ROFLMAO :) They were quite similar in some ways too ...

I do seem to remember that Charlie Chaplin looked quite Churchillian when he got older as well.

rtrapasso -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/16/2005 2:26:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

Couple of things:

1) Margaret Thatcher isn't upper class.
2) I would be very surprised if Churchill didn't know the meaning of the two fingered salute.

3) I am not offended :)

Only repeating what i read. Dunno about M.T. and her class.

I was also surprised about Churchhill and comments to his ignorance about the sign... but 'tis what they wrote. I suspect he just had a wicked sense of humor: "The sign means WHAT? Oh, dear me! I didn't know that!!" [:D]

As to your point 3: i see you are amused, though. [:'(]

Captain Cruft -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/16/2005 2:28:59 AM)

No worries.

One of the reasons the upper class are "upper" is because they understand all too well how the "lower classes" tick.

My favourite photo of Churchill is the one where he is wearing a sly grin and a Thompson SMG.

Oznoyng -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/16/2005 4:07:02 AM)

I am upset by the graphic graphic....

and the fact I din't think to do it first...

Sarge -> RE: Mod - Can I use this icon...? (9/16/2005 4:53:54 AM)

LOL [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI