While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

Executioner Five -> While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (9/16/2005 4:47:13 AM)

Took out my copy of the Decision Games tabletop release World War I. A fun little game, it is :)--was a reprint of the old SPI folio release. Anyone else here into the hex/counters tabletop stuff still?

TheBlackhorse -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (9/16/2005 5:18:31 AM)

Have you tried Paths of Glory by GMT Games? It is fantastic

Executioner Five -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (9/16/2005 6:51:05 AM)

I've seen it...but I don't like the squares for movement. The map really turned me off to it.

TheBlackhorse -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (9/17/2005 1:05:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Executioner Five

I've seen it...but I don't like the squares for movement. The map really turned me off to it.

Well, in my opinion, your missing a damn good game that captures the flavor of the Great War very well. I personally prefer PoG over Dunnigan's design (SPI/DG World War I 1914-1918).

Executioner Five -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (9/25/2005 2:58:00 AM)

I might be...I just have never been a fan of those kind of maps. I think hex/counter offers more freedom for diversity of strategy.

lancerunolfsson -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (10/19/2005 10:40:21 PM)

quote:

I might be...I just have never been a fan of those kind of maps.

Kind of a funny thing about hexes and squares. I think I am just conditioned to look at hexes and hate looking at squares. But rationaly squares are maybe better than hexes. With squares you can form straight lines on all axis' if corner to corner moves are not allowed. But with Hexes you can only form a straight line on one axis. That said I want to be looking at hexes.

OOps wait a second it's more complicated than that:^)

sol_invictus -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (10/20/2005 5:50:11 AM)

A few months ago I set up my old copy of Avalon Hill's "Guns of August" just for kicks. Never did get a chance to play a proper full game of it but I always liked to set up the map and counters.

mlees -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (10/20/2005 5:34:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancerunolfsson

quote:

I might be...I just have never been a fan of those kind of maps.

Kind of a funny thing about hexes and squares. I think I am just conditioned to look at hexes and hate looking at squares. But rationaly squares are maybe better than hexes. With squares you can form straight lines on all axis' if corner to corner moves are not allowed. But with Hexes you can only form a straight line on one axis. That said I want to be looking at hexes.

OOps wait a second it's more complicated than that:^)

You can also use squares laid out in an offset manner to simulate hexes. (Square spaces that touch six others...) Much easier to draw if you like to make your own maps:

[image]local://upfiles/10157/7480D5A9C8804C0089B843BFF3439058.gif[/image]

TheBlackhorse -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (10/22/2005 5:04:14 PM)

A couple of friends and I played WWI recently. We had three players. One played the western Allies, one played the Russian, and the other played the Central Powers.

We had a blast. Great game. In the end the Allies won, but barely. It literally came to the last turn, with the CPs making a last gasp to get victory locations.

I do still highly recommend PoG. The strategy cards add a whole new dimension, and in my opinion, capture the flavor of the Great War in a slick gaming system.

If you are on the fence about it, you can download the rules and the Cyberbox gameset (recommend you use the Thierry Aradan version) from the GMT site to see for yourself.
GMT PoG site

Now if only we could get Matrix to launch GoA...

Hanal -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (10/22/2005 7:30:17 PM)

My lord, I have not heard or read the word PoG in a very very long time....they were a rage for a spell.....

TheBlackhorse -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (10/23/2005 2:44:42 AM)

Jonah, are you refering to Paths of Glory or a different PoG?

Consimworld has a very active PoG forum, and there are postings there almost daily. I'm surprised if you haven't heard the game mentioned in a very long time...especially since it was just recently re-released.

I only wish GoA would be initially released...It's looking mighty bleak.

Perhaps it has received a Blighty and won't return to the trenches any time soon..

All the best,
BH

sven6345789 -> RE: While we wait, getting my WWI gaming fix... (10/25/2005 4:35:53 PM)

Well, if you like Hexes and world war one, take a look at grand illusion (GMT games). It is about the german advance in 1914 in the west, covering the period from August until November 1914. I got it, and i like it.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI