HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

pry -> HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 2:14:54 PM)

Finally finished up my 8 week inventory control system project at work as of last night, (and it actually works as advertised no less [;)]), I will need to spend some time reading what you all have been up to around here.

However Hurricane Rita may delay that for a while because they have started ordering mandatory evacuations of the costal areas around here, we have managed to stay hurricane free for the last 22 years (last big one was Alicia in 1983, 115MPH) but Rita looks to be taking a shine to this area and appears to be taking aim for us... Now living right on Galveston Bay at 8 feet above sea level It's looking like it might be wise to start thinking about packing up the important stuff and getting outta Dodge and heading to my daughters (200 miles inland) up in east Texas until she passes.

So it might be a few more days yet before I can get back up to speed on what has been happening around here and then start updating my scenarios, so hang in there i'll start answering my back log of PM's and email soon.

Marten -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 2:23:49 PM)

take care

rogueusmc -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 3:24:00 PM)

I'm in Tyler pry...gimme a call if you are near there.

Twotribes -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 3:24:30 PM)

It is a cat 4 storm now and looks to be stronger than Katrina in a very short time. It is projected to make land fall west of Houstan on the Texas coast right now. I would rent a uhaul and take everything you could It is predicted to hit Friday.

Apollo11 -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 4:17:44 PM)

Hi all,

Take care and may luck be with you!

Leo "Apollo11"

Nomad -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 4:25:26 PM)

Whaqt to come up here for a visit, I live at 6800 feet elevation, no hurricane is going to get here. [:D]

Now if we talk about the Volcano, [:@][&:]

Terminus -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 4:57:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Whaqt to come up here for a visit, I live at 6800 feet elevation, no hurricane is going to get here. [:D]

You know, saying something like that just makes God go, "Aah, a challenge!"[8D]

Nomad -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 5:02:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

You know, saying something like that just makes God go, "Aah, a challenge!"[8D]

That is why I mentioned the Volcano, I live on top of the largest potential Volcano in the World. [:(][:D]

I was trying to get across the idea that no matter where you are, some kind of natural disaster can strike.

Terminus -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 5:04:57 PM)

Yup. It's just a matter of signing up on the correct "Which natural disaster do you want to be killed by" list.

ckk -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 5:05:43 PM)

Hi Pry

Ivan last year strong cat 3 hit about as far away as Freeport is to you and we got 12 foot storm surge. To paraphrase go North and West young man!![;)]

ckk

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 10:30:52 PM)

hey pry, today I was thinking about you hearing the news about Rita and moving towards Galveston Bay....glad that you are OK - my advise : come to europe ! We dont have these weather stuff you guys have....our storms are laughable compared to yours and our houses are ALL made of stone....however if water is strong enough it doesnt matter anyway....

good luck & take care !

Mynok -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 10:57:17 PM)

Plus, your water is all made of beer! [:D]

Terminus -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/21/2005 11:20:49 PM)

Better than the other way around![;)]

RevRick -> RE: First things first... (9/21/2005 11:22:56 PM)

Keep the CPU and the cojones dry and operative. We can wait for updates.

dereck -> RE: First things first... (9/21/2005 11:29:20 PM)

Weather Channel just said Rita could be getting stronger and it's already reached Category 5.

Terminus -> RE: First things first... (9/21/2005 11:30:36 PM)

Be safe!

pry -> RE: First things first... (9/22/2005 1:24:33 AM)

Quick update,

It just took 3 hours to get home from work; the boss let me go early because they have ordered a mandatory evacuation of my town (Baytown TX.) looks like nearly half of the 4 million population of the greater Harris County area is also moving inland traffic is a mess...

Gonna load up all the important stuff and head up to my daughters place just north of Nacogdoches (and play with a grandson for a few days) so wish us luck this monster is going to hurt... Be back when I can...

Oleg Mastruko -> RE: First things first... (9/22/2005 2:18:29 AM)

Pry welcome back and best of luck to you, but thats just some wind and water you'll get thru it [;)]

O.

ChezDaJez -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/22/2005 2:21:52 AM)

Good luck, Pry. I seen Rita is now a category 5. I've seen the History channel segment concerning the hurricane of 1905(?). It doesn't look like it takes much to wreck Galveston.

Chez

ChezDaJez -> RE: HE;S Back (Well Sort OF) (9/22/2005 2:26:17 AM)

quote:

That is why I mentioned the Volcano, I live on top of the largest potential Volcano in the World.

True, biggest potentail volcano. I live about 50 miles from Mt St. Helens and I can tell ya this one really works!!!

Chez

Apollo11 -> Why are the private houses in USA made of wood? (9/22/2005 2:30:30 PM)

Hi all,

Sorry for small hijack of original theme but I think it is still connected / on topic... this is puzzling me for years and years...

Why are the private houses in USA made of wood?

When I visited USA (Florida, Georgia, Alabama - my aunt, uncle and numerous cousins with their families live the - all doctors) I saw this myself but answer I always got was "this is the way we do things here". Even their (my aunt-uncle and cousins) houses were made of wood!

In my country every single private house is build from concrete (foundations deep in ground, floors and main walls) and then the other parts are filled with brick and/or stone (including internal walls which are from brick as well).

If such house is hit by hurricane or by flood it would suffer (roof would probably go and windows would shatter) but house itself would stand and not be destroyed!

Thanks in advance and sorry for hijack (although still on topic)!

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
Again best of luck guys (who are in path of incoming "Rita")!

tsimmonds -> RE: Why are the private houses in USA made of wood? (9/22/2005 3:42:32 PM)

quote:

Aside from the fact that wood is relatively inexpensive, requires only basic tools and skills to work with, is widely available, and enables far quicker construction, I can't imagine. [;)]
Widespread use of woodframe construction is the only way we could manage to build 2 million housing units in a year. How many could we manage to build if they all were of concrete/masonry construction?

Good luck to everyone in Rita's path.

edit: my memory betrayed me once again, this time regarding the number of housing starts. Corrected....

Apollo11 -> RE: Why are the private houses in USA made of wood? (9/22/2005 4:45:54 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

quote:

Aside from the fact that wood is relatively inexpensive, requires only basic tools and skills to work with, is widely available, and enables far quicker construction, I can't imagine. [;)]
Widespread use of woodframe construction is the only way we could manage to build 13 million housing units in a year. How many could we manage to build if they all were of concrete/masonry construction?

Yes... it's cheap... I know... but what about "I am not rich enough to buy cheeply"?

Leo "Apollo11"

tsimmonds -> RE: Why are the private houses in USA made of wood? (9/22/2005 5:31:57 PM)

quote:

Yes... it's cheap... I know... but what about "I am not rich enough to buy cheeply"?

Again, building with wood is the only way to meet the demand for housing in this country.

Terminus -> RE: Why are the private houses in USA made of wood? (9/22/2005 5:35:01 PM)

(Black Humour Mode ON)

It also assures a continued demand for new housing, since the wooden houses fall down in a slight breeze, or if a cow farts in the next county, not to mention in a category 5 hurricane.

(Black Humour Mode OFF)

dereck -> RE: Why are the private houses in USA made of wood? (9/22/2005 5:49:45 PM)

Not ALL houses in America are made of wood. There are also brick and stone houses.

Though regardless of what they're made of a Category 5 hurricane or F5 tornado will destroy them.

Terminus -> RE: Why are the private houses in USA made of wood? (9/22/2005 5:53:59 PM)

Yeah, obviously...

Apollo11 -> RE: Why are the private houses in USA made of wood? (9/22/2005 6:44:45 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: dereck

Not ALL houses in America are made of wood. There are also brick and stone houses.

Though regardless of what they're made of a Category 5 hurricane or F5 tornado will destroy them.

Of course they are not... but what I saw in Alabama, Florida and Georgia was 99% wood (and they did look gorgeous!)...

BTW, when I was staying in USA I helped my cousin re-model one room (moving walls and all related stuff) in his 2 storey house (again wooden house) - the two of us had the job done in just few days... if it was "European" concrete/brick/stone house it would take 10x longer (and not to mention dust and drilling and hammering)... nonetheless I didn't like it one bit (where I live the internal walls are made of brick and are 20+ cm wide = 7 inches)...

Leo "Apollo11"

dereck -> RE: Why are the private houses in USA made of wood? (9/22/2005 6:54:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Of course they are not... but what I saw in Alabama, Florida and Georgia was 99% wood (and they did look gorgeous!)...

BTW, when I was staying in USA I helped my cousin re-model one room (moving walls and all related stuff) in his 2 storey house (again wooden house) - the two of us had the job done in just few days... if it was "European" concrete/brick/stone house it would take 10x longer (and not to mention dust and drilling and hammering)... nonetheless I didn't like it one bit (where I live the internal walls are made of brick and are 20+ cm wide = 7 inches)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Think it depends on how old houses are. I had a friend who lived on a farm and the original portion of the house which was built in the late 1800s was solid stone with framework or oak but the newer portions were made of wood.

Now I see them build houses with thin wooden plyboard and stuff. Think it all comes down to that wood is cheaper and the builders can make more of a profit by building with cheap materials and still charging you an outrageous price for a house.

Apollo11 -> RE: Why are the private houses in USA made of wood? (9/22/2005 7:02:13 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

Now I see them build houses with thin wooden plyboard and stuff. Think it all comes down to that wood is cheaper and the builders can make more of a profit by building with cheap materials and still charging you an outrageous price for a house.

Most plausible explanation - thanks!

BTW, the houses my aunt, uncle and cousins had were all extremely expensive... I couldn't believe the amount I heard (especially for brand new 2 storey house one of my cousins bought just before I visited - in Germany / Austria, for example, for same amount of money you could have same size house in similar good neighborhood build from concrete/brick/stone)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI