OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

dereck -> OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 2:42:35 AM)

Anybody out there happen to know anything about UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)?

Lately when the power has dimmed or gone out I've completely lost my DSL connection even though the DSL modem is going through my UPS and doesn't lose power. Then tonight when a thunderstorm came through my power dimmed and my computer itself rebooted.

When I first bought the UPS I could lose power completely and be able to tell people online I was logging off and shut down in an orderly fashion like they're intended for.

Do UPSs go bad after a while? I've had this for about 3 years now and just wonder if this has started to go bad.

Thanks.

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 2:48:43 AM)

The batteries can need replacing...I've replaced mine twice.

wgs_explorer -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 2:49:55 AM)

UPSs do go bad after awhile because all it is is a battery. Depending on the UPS you can either replace just the battery inside or you have to replace the whole UPS.

Griswel -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 2:57:42 AM)

I'd recommend a new UPS unless you bought a very high end one.

Also, from my experience, plugging a hair dryer into the UPS along with the computer is a bad idea (hey, I spilled coffee in the keyboard and wanted to dry it out!).

dereck -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 3:04:12 AM)

It's a Belkin UPS I think I paid about $80 for. Only has like less than 1 hour backup time.

I wasn't aware the battery itself COULD be replaced. Depending on how expensive and convenient it is it may be easier for me to just get another UPS.

All I know is that it doesn't do what I got it for anymore so something is happening to it.

Cmdrcain -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 11:57:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dereck

It's a Belkin UPS I think I paid about $80 for. Only has like less than 1 hour backup time.

I wasn't aware the battery itself COULD be replaced. Depending on how expensive and convenient it is it may be easier for me to just get another UPS.

All I know is that it doesn't do what I got it for anymore so something is happening to it.

Theres UPS that need be wholly replaced because cannot easy remove and replace the Battery, then theres like my Back-UPS Pro 1100 which allows hot swaping of a battery, If I need replace it I can get a battery and swap out old.

Cost me around $175 through, made by APC

Btw amount of time have depends on amount of power drawn so less 1 hr could be a few minutes if not a large one, especially if monitors plugged in, mt 1100 has 1,100 volts of backup power...

Mattremote -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 12:31:20 PM)

I live and work where I need an UPS every day (EVERY DAY). I use an APC 650.

BTW, anyone living where they need to both use an UPS and a voltage transformer, NEVER connect them in series. Unless you are a light sleeper and have very good fire insurance.

Terminus -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 12:32:20 PM)

Heh! Any personal experience you'd like to share?[sm=00000612.gif]

Mattremote -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 5:39:44 PM)

Yah! I've had my share of UPS making rude noises and spitting sparks (kind of like my ex-). When they go, they don't do it quietly and cleanly.[:D]

Actually, the worst problems with connecting UPS and step-down transformers in series are with Ferro-resonant UPS. It seems there is some interaction between the two. The transformer and the UPS can both heat up to the point of ignition. Also, never connect a Ferro UPS to a large server or router - the results are what power professionals (not me) call "spontaneous significant oscillations!" [:'(]

Usually the problem is "pilot error." What happens when people bring alot of gear overseas to places with different power (e.g. 220v vs. 110v), and they start plugging in transformers and UPS is that they never have enough of each and they start piling on plug adaptors and multi-plugs and everything else. Add a few power surges and brown-outs, or lightning strikes, and voila... instant insurance claim!

Of course, your $2,000 computer might sacrifice itself and melt down to save a 20 cent fuse... [:@]

mlees -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 6:22:32 PM)

Another consideration to consider about UPS's:

The UPS is (usually) set to try a supplement additional power draws on any given socket with battery power. I would have thought that if "wall power" was sufficient the UPS would not do this, but it actually depends on the UPS factory settings.

A Laserjet type printer can draw a lot of power when operating, for example. So when that Laserjet fires up, the UPS draws from the battery to meet that surge in power requirement. After the printer is done, and the power requirement drops back to "idle" levels, the UPS can recharge the battery. This seesaw battle reduces battery life. Some "peak" printing periods in some offices last several hours...

I presume that this issue can apply to several different appliances, like vacuums, microwaves, coffee pots, and so on.

Additionally, as has been pointed out in posts above, a lot of folks use the UPS not for "back up" power, but for surge protection and for it's additional sockets. So a lot of things get plugged into it that don't need that "back up" power functions. Chain ganging power strips into the UPS outlets has always been a problem in some offices I visit.

To the OP:

During thunderstorms and brown outs: Your modem may have power, but your ISP router may not. I have had a situation like this. I had power, but the block right across the street from me was in black out (some knucklehead drunk driver). But I lost Internet and cable TV (same provider for me. Kinda lousy being forced to read a book...). I am guessing that we have all been in cases where we have lost power to the lights, but the phone still works. That's the flip side of the same coin. Anyway, it all depend on how your neighborhood is all wired up for power and internet.

dereck -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 6:44:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

The UPS is (usually) set to try a supplement additional power draws on any given socket with battery power. I would have thought that if "wall power" was sufficient the UPS would not do this, but it actually depends on the UPS factory settings.

A Laserjet type printer can draw a lot of power when operating, for example. So when that Laserjet fires up, the UPS draws from the battery to meet that surge in power requirement. After the printer is done, and the power requirement drops back to "idle" levels, the UPS can recharge the battery. This seesaw battle reduces battery life. Some "peak" printing periods in some offices last several hours...

I presume that this issue can apply to several different appliances, like vacuums, microwaves, coffee pots, and so on.

Additionally, as has been pointed out in posts above, a lot of folks use the UPS not for "back up" power, but for surge protection and for it's additional sockets. So a lot of things get plugged into it that don't need that "back up" power functions. Chain ganging power strips into the UPS outlets has always been a problem in some offices I visit.

To the OP:

During thunderstorms and brown outs: Your modem may have power, but your ISP router may not. I have had a situation like this. I had power, but the block right across the street from me was in black out (some knucklehead drunk driver). But I lost Internet and cable TV (same provider for me. Kinda lousy being forced to read a book...). I am guessing that we have all been in cases where we have lost power to the lights, but the phone still works. That's the flip side of the same coin. Anyway, it all depend on how your neighborhood is all wired up for power and internet.

I only have six items plugged into my UPS out of a total of 8 sockets. The "powered" sockets I have my CPU, Monitor and Modem. For the unpowered ones I have my speakers, printer and my palm pilot cradle.

I don't use my printer much so it's usually turned off.

Also when my UPS was new I'd lose power a number of times but still be connected to the internet so the only reason why I'm not anymore must be that the UPS is going. I tried plugging my modem into a different socket and one time after losing power I still DID have an internet connection but the last time I didn't so it seems intermittent.

Also, my UPS is plugged into an electrical outlet that it only shared with a lamp and it is not daisychained with anything else.

MemoryLeak -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/23/2005 6:52:47 PM)

I have a 25KW UPS I'm using. We have the fun job of replacing it this Sunday. It's been running on a wing and a prayer at 120% overload for months(too many new servers). We expect to be down eight hours. Actually the police and fire radios will be up but CAD and mobiles will be down.

Cmdrcain -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/25/2005 10:14:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mattremote

I live and work where I need an UPS every day (EVERY DAY). I use an APC 650.

BTW, anyone living where they need to both use an UPS and a voltage transformer, NEVER connect them in series. Unless you are a light sleeper and have very good fire insurance.

Not sure what mean by in series...

Your talking of transformers for devices like one for my Cable Modem power?

It and the one for router plug into UPS itself.. only UPS plugged into wall outlet.

Cmdrcain -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/25/2005 10:19:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mattremote

Of course, your $2,000 computer might sacrifice itself and melt down to save a 20 cent fuse... [:@]

Heh, well if a Good Triplitte or APC, they supposedly insure your plugged in equiptment from surges, spikes and the like..

Cmdrcain -> RE: OT: Anybody Familiar With UPS (Uninterupted Power Source)? (9/25/2005 10:28:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

Actually, it isn't recommended to plug into UPS certain equiptment like Printers, Basically you should be ok to plug in the PC box, Monitor, Modem, router and thats it.

quote:

None of such should be plugged into an UPS

quote:

Stupidity in action, while a good UPS has surge, etc protection, and extra outlets, it should never have plugged into it more then its MAX load Volts/watts, like my UPS 1100 has a max load of 1,100 volts, what with my PC box being 450 watts, the monitor etc the wattage is within the volts/atts max load for it, plugging in more is bad... simply bad.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI