Name This...(450) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Brady -> Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 6:50:20 AM)

???

[img]http://www.myphotodrive.com//uploads/686_450.jpg[/img]

Mark VII -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 6:53:30 AM)

Errol Flynn in Objective Burma

Yamato hugger -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 7:04:59 AM)

I'd think it would almost have to be a movie, or maybe a photo taken in training somewhere. WWII era equipment, but a black man is number 2 in the squad (army wasnt integrated during WWII). And the Aussie bush hat on the 7th guy.

Have to admit, never seen this movie though.

Crimguy -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 7:59:05 AM)

Maybe in NZ or OZ with Aboriginal volunteers?

m10bob -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 11:14:11 AM)

Mark VII is right, this is Erroll Flynn, Objective Burma, (a film which pissed off the Aussies and New Zealanders because at the time, only their forces were fighting in the area and the new American helmet had not even be seen there yet.)

Crimguy -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 5:05:50 PM)

Shouldn't that be a Special Edition question?

Mark VII -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 10:10:41 PM)

The film was originaly released in 1945. When released in Great Britain things did not go well. There was an uproar over the glorification of the American's role in Burma with nothing of the British contribution. (Da, this was made by Hollywood and historical issues are not high on the list of things that concern Hollywood producers) This issue brought so much resentment that the film was withdrawn from theater's in the UK. In 1952 the film was re-released with a new introduction talking about Great Britains true role in the Burma Front.

Another problem was Flynn's public image. He was seen at this time as a womaniser(whats wrong with that???) who was not serious about his work. Also through various films, being portrayed as singlehandedly saving the Allies without ever serving in the military and for being rated 4F(the 4F part was not well known).

Nikademus -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 11:32:38 PM)

Now we have U-571 to piss off the UK too. [;)]

Speedysteve -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 11:42:46 PM)

Don't go there Nik. GGGRRRRRRRRR[:@]

[;)]

anarchyintheuk -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 11:45:44 PM)

We could remake the charge of the light brigade with the 7th Cav, the battles of Imphal and Kohima staring the 1st US ID or have Jugs replacing spitfires in the BoB. OTOH maybe not. [:'(]

Nikademus -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/4/2005 11:57:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

[;)]

everyone knows of course that the US cracked Ultra and saved the UK from the ubooooot menace.......

[:D]

barnacle bob -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 12:03:49 AM)

...and the Constitution and Constellation defeated the French and Spanish navy at Trafalgar.

Speedysteve -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 12:08:34 AM)

NNNNOONOONONONONONONONONONONOOO

Stop it. We are supposed to be Allies still. Don't make me break that 'Alliance' [;)]

Next it will be King George Bush I who beat the Scots [:'(]

steveh11Matrix -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 1:24:40 AM)

quote:

NNNNOONOONONONONONONONONONONOOO

Stop it. We are supposed to be Allies still. Don't make me break that 'Alliance' [;)]

Next it will be King George Bush I who beat the Scots [:'(]

He might still have to do it, if he keeps on alienating the people of his allied countries....

No. I Will Not. I have not the right. Taking cheap shots at the US president is a job for US citizens. [;)]

BTW My Father-In-Law was one of the "Forgotten Army" and bitterly resented films such as this one.
Steve.

Tankerace -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 1:26:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: barnacle bob

...and the Constitution and Constellation defeated the French and Spanish navy at Trafalgar.

And don't forget, those were American Regulars at Waterloo, By God.

Blackhorse -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 1:55:28 AM)

quote:

. . . and they were led by a Japanese W.O.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 2:34:55 AM)

Errol Flynn has girly legs [:'(]

Wait till he takes his boots off and sees all the leeches. The high-piched screaming will scare all the howler monkies.

ChezDaJez -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 3:00:36 AM)

quote:

Next it will be King George Bush I who beat the Scots

He didn't???

Chez

Brady -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 5:30:50 AM)

Errol Flynn, it is[:)]

Objective Burma, it is[:)]

barnacle bob -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 6:08:36 AM)

quote:

Didn't Perry discover Australia?

Speedysteve -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 11:52:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

Next it will be King George Bush I who beat the Scots

He didn't???

Chez

Hi Chez,

If he did he's BLOODY old [;)]

Apollo11 -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 1:51:31 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus
everyone knows of course that the US cracked Ultra and saved the UK from the ubooooot menace.......

[8D]

BTW, joking aside, if there weren't Polish mathematicians, one greedy German and French codebreakers - English would have really really tough time with Enigma...

Leo "Apollo11"

barnacle bob -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 3:34:50 PM)

quote:

BTW, joking aside, if there weren't Polish mathematicians, one greedy German and French codebreakers - English would have really really tough time with Enigma...

another myth. it was that navy dude that broke the japanese code.

Gen.Hoepner -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 3:41:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: barnacle bob

quote:

another myth. it was that navy dude that broke the japanese code.

ENigma was not japanese...

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/5/2005 3:51:05 PM)

And we all know US longbowmen saved the day at Agincourt and that the grand-grand-grand-father of MacArthur won at Blenheim...

Sonny -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/6/2005 10:28:04 PM)

quote:

[;)]

Geez, if you guys want to take credit for that movie - go ahead! [:D]

Yamato hugger -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/6/2005 10:45:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

[8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Wasnt the reason the Brits "broke" Enigma because some Czech brought one of the machines to England in like 1937? There is a book called "The Ultra Secret" that went into all that. Pretty sure thats what the book said.

rtrapasso -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/6/2005 11:07:11 PM)

quote:

Wasnt the reason the Brits "broke" Enigma because some Czech brought one of the machines to England in like 1937? There is a book called "The Ultra Secret" that went into all that. Pretty sure thats what the book said.

Pretty sure it was the Poles. I have a post somewhere on the forum about this where i quoted from the references if you want to spend an afternoon trying to use the forum software to search for it...[8|]

Nikademus -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/6/2005 11:49:35 PM)

it was a pair or trio of Polish codebreakers who IIRC (its in Blair...he wrote all about Enigma) who made the "first big breakthrough" on cracking Enigma. People have to realize this isn't a black or white kind of answer. The Poles and the UK were for example both working on cracking Enigma and while the Polish contribution was vital the UK was also on it's way to acheiving the same. Enigma was also not cracked in a day or even a month, Believe it was the Luftwaffe enigma that was broken first followed by a version used by the Kriegsmarine. The Army enigma wasn't cracked till near Alemein IIRC and of course then there was the move from 3 rotor to 4 to 5. Every bit helped and the Polish defection to the UK after the invasion gave the Brits a supercharge that helped them along the path.

The most amazing thing of course...is that the Germans for the most part refused to ever seriously consider that their wonder machine was fallible.

Yamato hugger -> RE: Name This...(450) (10/7/2005 12:49:49 AM)

quote:

The most amazing thing of course...is that the Germans for the most part refused to ever seriously consider that their wonder machine was fallible.

Well, there's that "master race" thingie [;)]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI