Player development question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

proxybot -> Player development question (10/14/2005 10:52:56 PM)

Can I adversely hurt a player's potential or stat growth by bring him up too quickly to the majors before he's probably truly ready and gets clobbered a bit? What about a young player that just sits on the bench in a pinch hitting role in the majors vs. starting every day in the minors?

Also, if I have a lot of developing players in my minors and regularly lose 100+ games year after year, would this negatively hurt stat development? Likewise, if I have a lot of winning years in the minors, would it help?

Amaroq -> RE: Player development question (10/15/2005 1:08:58 AM)

Hey, good questions proxybot. My understanding of it is as follows.

There are four factors that affect a player's development - Current Ability, Age, Potential, Playing Time, and Level.

Potential basically affects the odds THAT a player will improve from year to year, more than the actual number by which he will improve.

Current Ability, Age, and Level all interplay with each other, and affect both the odds of improvement and the amount of improvement. A 19-year-old player with low current ability is much more likely to improve if he is in the minors than if he is in the majors. A 27-year-old with decent current ability is much more likely to improve if he is in the majors than if he is in the minors. A 36-year-old is unlikely to improve no matter what you do.

Playing Time is an independent variable, but also affects both odds of improvement and amount of improvement. Obviously, the more playing time a player is getting, the more likely he is to improve.

When you put those two together, I would rather start a youngster in the minors than have him sit on the major-league bench.

I've never had a minor-league player improve much beyond the 60's - eg., with the three key attribues something like 68/63/66. By that point, he would start for most of the other sides in the association, and it doesn't matter how much playing time I give him in the minors, he needs to move up or he'll stop improving.

To answer your last question, I don't think 'win-loss' plays into things: my minor league side routinely starts out losing tons, but the players develop, and by the time I'm winning World Series regularly, my minor-league side usually racks up 100-plus point seasons as well.

So, for example, I always train my young players in a secondary position (its worth a few errors, etc, at the minor-league level to buy the flexibility when he reaches the majors).

That gives you a 'framework' to think about your players in, but I'm intentionally leaving alone the question of 'where is the sweet spot', e.g., 'what is the optimal time to promote a player?' partly because I'm not sure I have it right, and partly 'cause I think figuring that out is part of the fun for games of this genre. [:)]

proxybot -> RE: Player development question (10/20/2005 12:43:32 AM)

Thanks for the tips.. I didn't realize players would develop differently in the majors or minors. Sometimes when my hitting is so stacked, my 65/65 bench players would be star players in leaner years. They'll only get maybe 150 AB .. and while, they may be young in Puresim years (27-28) , they're pretty old to be stuck in the minors.

What I was talking about on the minors, was that if winning does help a positive develop .. it may be worth signing some veterans just to give the minors some pop and the pitchers some wins. However, in developing/struggling years with very young hitting.. my 50/50 type prospect pitchers may post something like a 6-19 record with a 3.70 ERA for a few years in a row. I was thinking that would translate into something negative and prevent him from being a big winner in the majors .. the "find a way to lose mentality" perhaps.

I agree with the secondary positions , it's about mandatory to let you draft just by talent alone .. rather than what position you'll need. In addition, I kinda cheat and put my really pathetic no range, no arm, no hands veteran at 1B and a no hands, no range , strong arm guy at C. It seems they'll always make very few errors regardless of how bad their hands are or whether they've actually gained position eligibility. The OF are normally high range, ok arm guys, maybe below or average hands - prototypical CF the most range, LF the least, RF the strongest arm. SS is where my best defender trains at , then 2B is similar with a weaker arm, 3B is about the same with a stronger arm. I find it really difficult to get any "blue" excellent defenders for whatever reason.

Amaroq -> RE: Player development question (10/20/2005 1:41:29 AM)

You're welcome. I do agree with you - I think there's room for more depth here.

In particular, I'd like to see things like pitcher development related to some attribute of the catcher, encouraging teams to place a veteran catcher in the minor leagues in almost a player/coach role. Similarly, a 'confidence' attribute, allowing mis-use like the 6-19 season you outline to permanently damage a player's confidence might be an interesting dynamic as a 'punishment' for bringing a player along too early.

On positions, I'd like to see the 'Bill James defensive spectrum' implemented, making it nigh-on-to-impossible to train that good-fielding first baseman into a quality shortstop, but fairly easy to move a poor-fielding shortstop to first base; I'd also like to see a true change in 'primary position' if a guy's been playing it for several seasons.

I'd also like to see catcher's ability to 'call a game' modelled, giving you a reason to consider keeping an aging catcher well past his batting prime for what he brings out in the other players. A "decision-making" attribute and/or a "big games" attribute which steadily increases might be a good thing as well, with younger players making bad decisions both defensively and on the basepaths, while veteran players may not have the physical ability but may contribute mentally - either would be an encouragement to keep veteran players.

However, on the origiunal topic, I don't think there are developmental factors beyond what I outlined - I don't think (with the current build, anyways) that your young pitcher going 6-19 will adversely affect his development.

Your 65/65/65 bench players at age 27-28 are not going to develop much either way: they're "too good" to learn from the minors, and 150 at bats isn't enough to help them improve in the majors. If you look around the league, they're good enough to start for somebody - and they need starting time to be able to develop to their full potential.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI