Historical Facepack Finished... kinda (1900-present) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

BryanK -> Historical Facepack Finished... kinda (1900-present) (11/6/2005 4:23:40 AM)

We now have a "Plug-and-play" type add on that puts real players in puresim, complete with photos.

I've taken Tigerfan, Jeff Olsen, and Draft Dodgers real-player facepacks combined them and resized the files for puresim. I also went into the Lahman database, deduped the names, and matched them back to the names on the pics where necessary. It wasn't anything someone else couldn't have done, but it probably took a solid 10-15 hours to get everything all together, so I figured I'd save everyone else the trouble :)

There are also some tweaks to the database, like splitting Babe Ruth into a pitcher and a hitter. Using data put together by Anakit, I've also replaced the player debut years with their draft years. My intention was that this would help avoid the shortening of players' carrers by having them essentially go through the minors twice: once in real life to get to the big leagues, a second time in puresim since the first year a player shows up in the game is their first major league season.

Unfortunately, this didn't work because puresim uses the first year a player has a stat line as the year they are imported into the game. I have a question out to Shaun about this, and as soon as I hear back I'll make any necessary changes to the database and get database+facepack out there.

Since the players are real, I don't know if this is the kind of thing that can be hosted by Matrix. The zip file with all the photos plus the modified database is going to weigh in at around the 175MB mark... so if anyone knows where to host it, please let me know.

KG Erwin -> RE: Historical Facepack Finished... kinda (1900-present) (11/6/2005 11:07:40 PM)

WOW, Bryan. I would LOVE to have this -- how about putting it on http://www.yousendit.com/ ? This service CAN host large files, but it will take quite a bit of time to upload it. The only drawback is that its limited to 25 downloads. For the receiving e-mail addy, just use your own, and post the link here. I've used the service, and it is reliable.

PS You should probably WinZip it first.

puresimmer -> RE: Historical Facepack Finished... kinda (1900-present) (11/7/2005 4:27:55 AM)

I think with 1.1 and 35 man rosters it will not really be important to have players come in so early, the good guys really don't spend time in the minors in seasons where they were actually good in real life. Also, 1.1 is much more heavily based on real performance on a season by season basis so it mitigates that as well.

My suggestion is to put back the debut year to the original Lahman value and give it a shot.

BryanK -> RE: Historical Facepack Finished... kinda (1900-present) (11/7/2005 4:48:49 AM)

[:(]

I'll play around with it some and see how things go. Thanks for getting back to me [:)]

BryanK -> RE: Historical Facepack Finished... kinda (1900-present) (11/10/2005 3:20:50 AM)

Okay... this project seems to be suffering from scope creep [:)] I've heavily leveraged existing work by Arod23, Garlon, and Ankit. Here's what I've got thus far:

1. Middle initials appended so as to reduce or eliminate duplicate player names. Usually, the best player with a given name will not be initialed.
2. "Sr." removed from any player who's son also played in the major leagues. "Jr." is still there for the son, but seeing "Ken Griffey Sr." playing in the 1960s didn't make sense to me.
3. Babe Ruth has been split into 2 players: Geroge Ruth the pitcher, and Babe Ruth the outfileder. The outfileder's stats have been moved up so that his career starts in 1915
4. Jackie Robinson, Satchel Paige, and other players who integrated the game have had their stats moved up so that they begin their career at ~22 years old.
5. Warren Spahn's stats have been moved up so that his career starts in 1943 (time lost for military service)
6. When moving up a player's stats, I usually cut out the last year or two if the player was in decline, so that puresim does not prematurely age these players
7. The age of all players has been reduced by 1 year so as to account for time spent in the minor leagues. They still appear in the game the same year they make their MLB debut, but they do so 1 year of age younger than they did in real life.
8. Fielding stats are now based on career averages (So players aren't stuck playing the same position they did their rookie year... i.e. Gary Sheffield is not a SS)

I'm aware that some of these changes could mess up historical replays or the wholesale import of teams. I seed my leagues with fictional players, so that's what the database was built for. If this causes enough problems, I'll release a second version around Christmas.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI