new units? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns

alf24 -> new units? (11/10/2005 11:20:44 AM)

is there kind to provide an editor with which I new units for the play can? for example German Grenadiere. Into which file do I have to then store the new units?

sorry for the bad english i am from Switzerland.

IBTyrone -> RE: new units? (11/17/2005 10:21:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: alf24

is there kind to provide an editor with which I new units for the play can? for example German Grenadiere. Into which file do I have to then store the new units?

sorry for the bad english i am from Switzerland.

Hi Alf.

Welcome to the forums!

You can create custom units within individual scenarios by using the scenario editor. However, those units will only be available in that scenario. If you want the unit to be available across all of your scenarios and campaigns, you can use the OOB Editor that comes with SPWAW to edit existing units into your custom units. However, when you make those changes, they are specific to your installation of SPWAW, not anyone else. If you are playing against the computer, then you are fine, but if you play PBEM, that won't work.

You might want to check out the Alby's Multi Mod available over at the Depot. Alby has used German names for units to give it more of a German flavor in the case of the German OOB. He's also tweaked some of the other OOBs, which you might find more to your satisfaction.

You can find it here:
http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=4112

Hope this helps!

chief -> RE: new units? (11/18/2005 7:59:53 AM)

Alf:

You can write your questions in German or French and even Italian and you'll get help from others in your language of choice.

This is a very cosmopolitan forum. There are folks from all over the world and I know they'll communicate with you. WELCOME to the FORUM.

alf24 -> RE: new units? (11/21/2005 12:20:41 PM)

thank you for your answers

Where i can exactly find the OOB Editor 101?? i can only find the 00B Dump is that the same?

(Weiss jemand wo ich den OOB Editor 101 finde?)

chief i am very supriesed where do you know that we speak offical 3 languages in our country in switzerland German, French and Italian???

FlashfyreSP -> RE: new units? (11/21/2005 3:41:11 PM)

quote:

thank you for your answers

Where i can exactly find the OOB Editor 101?? i can only find the 00B Dump is that the same?

(Weiss jemand wo ich den OOB Editor 101 finde?)

chief i am very supriesed where do you know that we speak offical 3 languages in our country in switzerland German, French and Italian???

No, the OOB Editor is located in the main Steel Panthers folder, called SPWAW Editor.exe. This is the tool you use to make changes to the OOBs. The OOB Dump prgram 'dumps' an OOB's data into a CSV file for use in a spreadsheet program; it allows you to dump the Weapons List, Units List, and Formaitons List into documents.

chief -> RE: new units? (11/21/2005 7:57:08 PM)

Alf: As for the language(s), my wife is from Washington DC and had friends whose parents came from Switzerland, and I have been known to read a little geography now and then. Why I even subscribe to National Geographics, I like the pictures. Hehehe :>)[:)][8D]

alf24 -> RE: new units? (11/21/2005 10:16:10 PM)

okay thank you very much but now i have an other problem.
when i go to the SPWAW Editor.exe. than comes the message
that i can find the OOB Editor here
http://www.users.erols.com/seawolf75/steelp/spobedit.html

but this must be a wrong adress becaus i can find this.

and how i can make designs for the new units i make??
and where i must save the pictures for the new units which i make?

and a other question can i make also a new country for the game? like switzerland[:'(]

and a last question can i make more than the 249 units for germany??? because germany have no free places for new units...

okay chief i am very surpriesed but in a good way [:D] the people from usa mostly means that switzerland are the same like sweden or swaziland (is in africa) [:)]

FlashfyreSP -> RE: new units? (11/22/2005 3:57:22 AM)

quote:

okay thank you very much but now i have an other problem.
when i go to the SPWAW Editor.exe. than comes the message
that i can find the OOB Editor here
http://www.users.erols.com/seawolf75/steelp/spobedit.html

but this must be a wrong adress becaus i can find this.

and how i can make designs for the new units i make??
and where i must save the pictures for the new units which i make?

and a other question can i make also a new country for the game? like switzerland[:'(]

and a last question can i make more than the 249 units for germany??? because germany have no free places for new units...

okay chief i am very surpriesed but in a good way [:D] the people from usa mostly means that switzerland are the same like sweden or swaziland (is in africa) [:)]

Ok...one at a time.

1. SPWAW Editor - pay no attention to that message; that was for an enhanced editor which is no longer available. You actually have the editor running; that is the 'splash screen'. Click on the File tab at the upper left; select 'Edit OOB' from the pull-down menu, then choose the OOB you want to edit.

2. Designs - I assume you are referring to new icons. These must be made as BMP files, using any graphics program. These must be converted into SHP images and loaded into the appropriate SHP file. This is an extra program, located in the Chlandra folder. It is not for the faint-of-heart; changing icons is difficult, and can cause problems if you aren't extremely careful. Make sure that you have backup copies of everything BEFORE you start fiddling with this aspect.

3. Pictures - again, not something that is easy. Picture files are LBM files, and can be made from any color or B&W picture. But they must be a) the same size as all other LBMs and b) must have been made with the LBM palette applied. This file will have to be created by loading an LBM file into your graphics program and saving the palette information. Once you have a workable LBM, it must be put in the PIC folder, with an appropriate file name. All LBM files are numbered files; you can use any unused number in the list, or an existing one if you wish to replace it. This number is also used in the Unit Edit section of the OOB Editor in the LBM data field.

4. New countries - Sorry. You cannot make an additional country; however, you CAN replace an existing one with a different nation, but some of the attributes are not modifiable. First and foremost, you cannot change the Nation Name; if you replace the German OOB with a Swiss one, it will still be referred to as German. Also, unless you change the various SHP files that hold the flags, your 'new' nation will still fly the 'old' nation's flag. Also, you cannot change Leader Names except in-game; the game will provide the 'old' nation's default names for all your units. The same is true of the National Characteristics and Historical Ratings; these are all hard-wired in the game program, and are not easily changed.

5. More than 249 units - Again, sorry. The game has a limit of 250 slots for units and formations in the OOBs; the only solution (and it is not entirely satisfactory) is to add your new units to OOBs that have open slots. But you will have to remember which one it is, and let others know, because there is no way to indicate this to other players. Look in the Czech OOB for examples of extra German equipment that wouldn't fit into the German OOB.

Hope these answer your questions.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI