Raid on Truk (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room

Sergeant -> Raid on Truk (11/19/2005 5:48:36 PM)

Greetings to All...

In Scenario 17 I decided to try out an idea that I had been toying with for a while now. As the Allied player - I initiated a sneak attack on TRUK in latter part of June 1942. My task force slipped undetected all the way to Truk and initiated an invasion. [8D]

It was, however; doomed to failure for several reasons: [:@]

1. The raiding party was too small (not enough Carriers) sent only 1 carrier - the Lexington. [8|]

2. I failed to include minesweepers & nearly lost the entire group to mines alone. [X(]

3. The ground force was inadequate & unable to unload before the Jap Carrier group arrived to deal with it. [:(]

The initiative, however; proved the theory that Truk CAN be attacked. [;)]

This raises the question of the value of such an endeavor? [&:]

MATRIX -- If TRUK is captured by Allies, can they win an Auto Victory?

Ships in harbor would be destroyed if not activated or returned to Japan.

Gaining useful intel on composition of TRUK prior to a strike without revealing one's intent is impossible. It has to be extrapulated from forces already engaged.

Timing is crucial & a counter invasion should be ready to go in the South as soon as the Jap Carrier Grp is diverted North. [:D]

The value of lost supplies & fuel to Jap player would be critical only if Allied player can hold the Atoll long enough for supply depletion to take effect. [>:]

OK Gentlemen... Your thoughts on this issue???? [&o]

Sergeant--------------*~<'(((((><

rogueusmc -> RE: Raid on Truk (11/19/2005 6:22:17 PM)

I never go anywhere in UV with just one carrier...[;)]

Ursa MAior -> RE: Raid on Truk (11/19/2005 7:15:53 PM)

Although not immediately, but you will win if you occupy Truk, given the renforcements arrive there

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI