Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

KG Erwin -> Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/24/2005 1:13:48 AM)

Many guys prefer to just play as the GM, but having been a wargamer for so long, I gotta micromanage. I put myself in the dugout and manage each and every game of my chosen team. This is the primary reason why I'm so enamored of the graphical enhancements for the given historical eras. I want to BE there -- I've asked this before, but with new gamers coming in on a regular basis, who else plays in this way?

pasternakski -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/24/2005 1:27:59 AM)

I live and die with my team, day by day. I don't trust some silicon chip to make the right decisions. Besides, as Casey said, "Managing is being paid for somebody else's home runs."

KG Erwin -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/24/2005 3:43:06 AM)

I have a feeling that we may be in the minority, pasternakski, but there's nothing like being IN the game. Shaun built a virtual field of dreams, for all of us, and here we came. Much is left to the imagination, of course, but that is another part of its beauty. It doesn't have to be handed to us on a platter -- the rest of it we make for ourselves.

donkuchi19 -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/24/2005 4:22:01 AM)

I like the multi-player sim part of the game. But when I solo, I manage every game. I like to be a part of the action even when you get frustrated because one of your best players lets you down in a crucial situation. It gives you a real feel for the action of the game and not just a box score to reveiw.

Jliven61 -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/24/2005 4:43:18 AM)

In game! While sometimes I wish there were a few more "in-game" options for you while managing, I play every game. I am currently replaying the 1974 season with the St. Louis Cardinals and having a great time, even if the Cardinals are a pretty ordinary 33-32 at this point of the season.

Jliven61

pasternakski -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/24/2005 5:05:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I have a feeling that we may be in the minority, pasternakski, but there's nothing like being IN the game. Shaun built a virtual field of dreams, for all of us, and here we came. Much is left to the imagination, of course, but that is another part of its beauty. It doesn't have to be handed to us on a platter -- the rest of it we make for ourselves.

Yeah. You know, that's something that popped into my head while I was "PSPN configuring" the stadiums (stadia for you Latin purists) for my latest attempt to replay the 1956 MLB season (this time, I'm gonna be da Bums). I hate having to do that, but, at the same time, I want to stick that "8XD" ball destination high above the center field fence in Wrigley and the "9LD" destination at the top of the right field wall in Yankee Stadium without computer interference.

We need a systematic way to create stadiums, both historical and fictional, that present a uniform graphic appearance. It should be a basic part of the program.

Also, can we ever get an MP3 of "talkin' baseball" or "Center Field" to snuggle into the soundtrack, do ya think?

Put me in, Coach, I'm ready to play.

Beach23BoyP -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/24/2005 9:13:47 AM)

quote:

Also, can we ever get an MP3 of "talkin' baseball"

My "Sienna Skin" has always contained the mp3 "Talkin' Baseball".

I, also, live and die with every game.

jdew -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/24/2005 6:02:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

We need a systematic way to create stadiums, both historical and fictional, that present a uniform graphic appearance. It should be a basic part of the program.

I think Shaun based the hit locations on the Project Scoresheet hit location diagram so that's what I'm using to keep that part consistent. (You can find this diagram at www.retrosheet.org .... on the left side click toward the end of the list on Event Files, then Hit Location Diagram)

I also play out every inning of each of my team's games.

pasternakski -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/24/2005 8:11:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdew
I think Shaun based the hit locations on the Project Scoresheet hit location diagram so that's what I'm using to keep that part consistent. (You can find this diagram at www.retrosheet.org .... on the left side click toward the end of the list on Event Files, then Hit Location Diagram)

I'm actually talking about the park "photos" or digital renderings of ballparks. I mostly use the ones KGErwin passed along awhile back, as they have a nice, consistent "feel" to them. Problem is, if you want images of other parks, they don't "look" the same. I've fiddled around in Paint and Photoshop trying to come up with an easy way of creating usable images from information and photographs, but have not, as yet, come up with anything that works very well.

I like the fact that the ball flight locations are so flexible that you can adapt them to just about any stadium representation you want, including those that do not show the field from behind home plate.

jdew -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/24/2005 8:41:40 PM)

quote:

I'm actually talking about the park "photos" or digital renderings of ballparks. I mostly use the ones KGErwin passed along awhile back, as they have a nice, consistent "feel" to them. Problem is, if you want images of other parks, they don't "look" the same. I've fiddled around in Paint and Photoshop trying to come up with an easy way of creating usable images from information and photographs, but have not, as yet, come up with anything that works very well.

I thought you might be talking about the ballpark images but wasn't sure.

I've been fiddling around with the ballpark presentation too, the key being a consistent look whatever the park, whatever the year. So far the only thing I have come up with that fits any ballpark any year are either some pretty cartoonish images or the basic overhead field layout type thing... neither of which I'm particularly fond of. Its in the early stages though and I'm hopeful I can come up with something better.

quote:

I like the fact that the ball flight locations are so flexible that you can adapt them to just about any stadium representation you want, including those that do not show the field from behind home plate.

Yes I think so as well. I believe its the best method of displaying the action and (as a bonus) gives the maximum flexibility in handling any kind of display you want.

zappa99 -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (11/28/2005 5:13:59 PM)

I usually just sim a day at a time so I can review the box score and make changes to the lineups and rotation. But I'll manage games if there's a good pitching matchup, or it's a crucial game against a division rival. Depends how much time I have.

playball335 -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (12/1/2005 5:29:10 PM)

I too play EVERY game! Bring on more managerial options and more detailed PBP! [:D]

johnhulten -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (12/1/2005 6:48:01 PM)

I'm fascinated by the game-not the business.

Sonny -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (12/3/2005 1:47:59 AM)

I'm there in the dugout too. No suit and tie for me.

DonBraswell -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (12/3/2005 5:14:51 AM)

I like to control who makes up my team, lineups and the rotation. I'm not into deciding who bunts, steals or hit and runs. I would like to see more defined managers. Different manager styles to choose from (hire). I miss not hireing my manager. I watch alot of games with PSPN Cast. Mostly I sim a week at a time. Then see how the team is doing and make changes as needed. I make trades trying to improve my team. I like to keep my team as young as possible, I do hang on to my ageing stars until they decide to retire. Some do hang around too long. Every one has their own way of playing the game, thats why PureSim is so great. My other big wish is for a more competive computer AI.
Don Braswell

Dazooz2 -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (12/3/2005 11:40:04 PM)

Play every game!

rich12545 -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (12/5/2005 11:54:23 PM)

I'm just starting and like to manage my games. I also watch most or all of 1-2 of the other games I'm interested in.

I think the ai teams should have real managers with real tendencies. And maybe there's a way to have some sort of play-by-play instead of "at bat". Old Time Baseball had that and it was neat. They had the voices of two real announcers. At the time, I talked to the devs on the phone (this was before the internet) and tried to get them to add Vin Scully, the best there ever was.

akcranker -> RE: Your Playing Style (GM vs in-game)? (12/12/2005 2:38:47 PM)

I alternate between GM & Manager. In my most recent association I managed the first game of the season and got dominated 14 - 1. My batters couldn't hit anything the opposing pitcher threw. I got 1 hit off the opposing pitcher the whole game. He walked me a couple of times and I got that 1 run from a sac fly.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI