Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/18/2005 12:55:46 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

finding the damn 1.2 patch is proving to be a bitch and a half though...

Everyone wants you to register to their site now!!!!!!!!

either that or links are long dead.......

(EDIT)
FINALLY, found a live link that doesn't jerk you around with registering or other BS....

http://www.voodoofiles.com/getit.asp?id=101&g=1&d=17&s=665425426

< Message edited by Juggalo -- 12/18/2005 1:05:44 AM >

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 91
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/18/2005 7:25:07 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Age of Sail II

This one is one some people's Best list, while other people have it on their Worst list.

I'd have to put it on the Worst, as i couldn't get the thing to run...

That would be a very valid reason to put it on your 'worst' list!
(suggestion: upgrade)

Have they ever fixed the problem with grappled ships receiving hull damage? If not, the game isn't worth the bother...I'm a sailor, so I tried every trick in the book (and a few that aren't) - coming up on the surrrendered ship form downwind, reducing sail to no sail, creeping in at @ 1 knot, grappling only on upwind side (so heavier ship wouldn't be blown onto smaller ship and crush it)... nothing prevented the smaller ship from being SUNK by hull damage received only through being grappeled to the larger ship.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 92
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 12/18/2005 8:21:09 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

After setting everything back up to play EAW.....it won't run...

Thanks to this cheap-ass on-board Intel graphics card...

It tries to create a 3D surface in 8-bit color mode, while the Intel graphics chipset families only allow 16-bit color 3D surfaces.

What a crock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 93
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 1/4/2006 3:13:12 PM   
tristandracul

Can confirm with lots of the posts here on many games, especially the Combat Mission and the TotalWar series. IMHO lots of games have good aspects in some field of expertise while they often lack in others.
If I'd had to list my favourites I'd still do it with + and - in front.

1. Combat Mission: + best simulation on tactical level for this history period, best playing principle command orientated WEGO!!), good editor for replayability - some deficits in unit AI
(can't wait for CM Campaigns and CM Shockforce)
2. TotalWar series: + historic flavour and relative realism of (most) units, good graphics since RTW - often doesn't work on older machines despite meeting the official requirements
3. Tacops 3 and 4: + excellent simulation of modern tactical combat - lacks morale ratings for troops
4. Crown of Glory: + best diplomacy engine, good tactical gameplay - complicated economics, interface a bit complicated at first
5. WitP: + depth and scale - some bugs
6. Space Empires 4: + almost unlimited playability because of the excellent editor + much more stabile than Moo + excellent moddability + good graphics without the tendency to overload most newer games have - diplomacy could need more depth and options
(curious what they will make out of SEV)
7. SPWaW and SPMBT: + excellent editor, + good interface - no experimental ToEs in WinSPMBT anymore

While there are some other games with interesting options they did not catch my attention for too long. Hoi2 in my opinion has a terrible interface and I dont like the real time aspect at all, although the ability to pause is ok for a while. Same goes with BCT, ATF and the whole series, which seem to be excellent simulation tools, but lack the smoothness of for example Tacops. PoA2 looked very good although complicated to me, but was the first game ever that didnt work because of requiring literally tons of RAM.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 94
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 1/4/2006 3:30:46 PM   
murphys35

Simulations:

Microprose´s B-17
EAW
Red Baron

Strategy Games:

SPWAW
People´s General
CIV1
WiTP? (I'm greenhorn so it's too early to say but this game isn't without chance for sure..)

'One hawk chases away many crows'

(313th (Czechoslovakian) RAF squadron motto)

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 95
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 1/4/2006 4:45:13 PM   
rtrapasso

Chess - touted by its devs as the most accurate simulation of medieval warfare ever made.

(in reply to murphys35)
Post #: 96
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 1/4/2006 5:56:46 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Chess - touted by its devs as the most accurate simulation of medieval warfare ever made.

Are you kidding? The devs did not know what they were doing! You must be one of those "Black" fanboys. Everyone knows the "White" side should have the pawn bonus for at least several more turns. And really, can you find a time in history where a knight actually jumped over a castle, went sideways and captured a bishop? And there is a bug where the king gets transported over a castle! It is not one of those bugs that happen every once in a while - it happens regularly!

I think it needs a lot of work. It is just unplayable as is. I'm gonna wait for the next patch before I even try it again. Maybe if Subchaser makes the board artwork it would make the game more enjoyable.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 97
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 1/4/2006 6:29:44 PM   
Feinder

And it was only released with only a head-to-head version! No AI, and no PBEM!

Gawd, what a bunch of lazy devs.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 98
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 1/4/2006 6:33:37 PM   
WhoCares

Strategy:
WitP (obviously...)
Panzer General series
Civilisations
Gold - I think that was its name; Brits, French, Spanish and Portuguese conquer America (north and south)
Warlord I

Sims:
BoB
TF1942
Silent Service
Silent Hunter III
Red Baron

[comercial]
And I am surprised that nobody mentioned the undoubtly (in my not so humble opinion ) best battlefield simulation out there, as it is the only one that deserves this designation, Link: Operation Flashpoint. If you ever feel like leaving the armchair behind and take the fight up as a grunt/sergeant/lieutenant with a rifle/tank/chopper this is the best way to do so - even the US Marines and the Aussies do so Link: VBS1 Edit after screwballs comment: VBS1 now also available to the public!

To let it speak for itself, check out the Link: combat photography and Link: combat videography threads.

Combined arms at its best.
[/comercial]
P.S. No, I am not affiliated with BIS, just a fan

< Message edited by WhoCares -- 1/4/2006 6:55:04 PM >

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 99
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 1/4/2006 6:45:06 PM   
skrewball

Too bad VBS1 is only for Federal Agencies. I do agree that Operation Flashpoint is an amazing game.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 100
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 1/4/2006 6:45:41 PM   
Mr.Frag

What???

No one mentioned Red Storm Rising - 1988 wasn't that long ago!

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 101
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 1/4/2006 6:47:51 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

And it was only released with only a head-to-head version! No AI, and no PBEM!

Gawd, what a bunch of lazy devs.

-F-

Yeah, i know - but that's what the devs claim!!

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 102
RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. - 1/5/2006 4:02:44 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

What???

No one mentioned Red Storm Rising - 1988 wasn't that long ago!

I mentioned it - but it was not from 1988!

I bought my Atari ST in Munchen in 1987 and before that I had Commodore 64 (and ZX Spectrum bere from my uncle).

The "Red Storm Rising" I played on Commodore 64 and thus it was , I think, in 1985 or or 1986.

BTW, I was not satisfied with values assigned to various weapons so I changed the OOB (my very first attempt of that in wargames! ). I still have many many pages of OOB printouts documenting my changes (you remember the paper that had holes on the sides so that dot matrix printers and their tracors could role the paper)...

Ah... those were the days!!!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 103
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: The best Wargame simulation you ever played. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI