Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Modding unit bitmaps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Modding unit bitmaps Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 3:28:26 AM   
YohanTM2

"I edit his English"

Perhaps someone else should correct the grammar? :)

On a serious note the paragraphs on the unit write-ups would look better if the paragraph was justified, and also split into paragraphs.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 721
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 3:53:12 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan
"I edit his English"

Perhaps someone else should correct the grammar? :)

On a serious note the paragraphs on the unit write-ups would look better if the paragraph was justified, and also split into paragraphs.

You would prefer "I correct his English"? Or "I edit the text to correct his English"?

He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones ... What do you mean by "if the paragraph was justified"? It seems unwarranted?

As it is, paragraphs are left justified within the panel with the first line indented, as in most text. If you are referring to the ragged versus right-side alignment, I have mixed feelings about that. Sometimes there is so much blank space to spread out over the line that the line looks "spaced out" (a technical term from the 1960's I believe). The ragged ends are the easiest solution to implement - so, voila.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 722
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 3:55:38 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

A couple of the air units, from my allotment of 10 to edit for today. There's not much editing to do with these early planes.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 723
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 3:56:36 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Last in series.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 724
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 6:54:53 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here are two of the HQ descriptions with better formatting. The original text is by Graham Dodge (Greyshaft) with editing by Peter Kanjowski (pak19652002). All I did was insert some paragraph breaks.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 725
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 6:59:42 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The second half of Blamey - so as not to leave you in suspense.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 726
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 7:01:28 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is Clark - I still haven't gotten around to solving the transparency problem btuit is really starting to annoy me.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 727
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 7:04:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The second half of Clark. You might notice that the list of units only includes HQ's. That is because I have set the filter to do that. I'll show the filter choices next.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 728
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 7:07:38 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Last in series. The filter is pretty much unchanged from CWIF. There are a few new unit types (I notice that some of them are missing - probably has to due with which optional rules are active). And, obviously, I have converted the form to the new color scheme/theme.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 729
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 7:11:40 AM   
Neilster

quote:

Sometimes there is so much blank space to spread out over the line that the line looks "spaced out" (a technical term from the 1960's I believe).

I agree.

And I believe the term from the 60s was "spaced out, man", as in "How are you feeling after eating those mushrooms, brother?"

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 730
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 9:38:28 AM   
Froonp

quote:

He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones ... What do you mean by "if the paragraph was justified"? It seems unwarranted?

A "justified" paragraph is a paragraph where both the left and the right sides are aligned straights. I am not sure you english speakers use the "justified" word, it is the one uses in French.

Post #: 731
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 12:29:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
quote:

A "justified" paragraph is a paragraph where both the left and the right sides are aligned straights. I am not sure you english speakers use the "justified" word, it is the one uses in French.

There are many ways to align/justify paragraphs: left, right, center, full, and all (according to WordPerfect). Yohan probably meant full or all, which place text against both the left and right margins then spread the extra spaces evenly between the words. Though he could have been commenting about the indentation at the start of each paragraph.

I was using a "play on words", intentionally misunderstanding the word justified as one of its other meanings - to justify: to explain why something exists or is/was done. "Is that attitude justified?" = "Is that attitude warranted?"

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 732
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 11:57:50 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here are 3 naval unit writeups from my allotment to edit today.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 733
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/4/2006 11:59:00 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I thought it might be interesting to compare the Yorktown with the Yorktown II.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 734
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/5/2006 12:03:52 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Last in the series.

There is a problem with the Range as reported in the Unit Data box. I believe Chris was setting it as 0 (6) because the unit was disrupted. There are several changes needed here: I want to change the wording to disorganized; why is a unit in the not available pool (not available to be built until 1943) disorganized?; and even if a unit is disorganized, I still want to show its range as 6.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 735
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/5/2006 12:38:59 PM   
christo

I was looking for my daily MWIF "fix" and after looking at all the most recent posts I went back and looked at the posts in this topic from december last year. The improvement in the units is absolutely amazing.

kudos to the man.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Post #: 736
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/6/2006 3:12:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

1 from today's allotment of formatted HQs.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to christo)
Post #: 737
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/6/2006 3:13:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Terauchi, part 2

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 738
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/6/2006 3:14:34 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Last in series. Terauchi's legacy.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 739
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/6/2006 6:11:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I decided I liked having the numbers separate in the naval units so I am doing the same for the air units. There's an extra blank line here, but otherwise it is what I intend to do.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 740
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/6/2006 7:47:53 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
I decided I liked having the numbers separate in the naval units so I am doing the same for the air units. There's an extra blank line here, but otherwise it is what I intend to do.

I like too. I wanted to comment and tell this a few days ago, but did not do it.

Post #: 741
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/6/2006 1:09:09 PM   
terje439

quote:

/sign

Post #: 742
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/6/2006 9:21:12 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

One from today's set of 20 newly formatted. I added some of my own text at the end, to supplement Terje's description.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 743
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/9/2006 10:07:44 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here are a couple writeups on carrier based planes. Greyshaft did all of these, with only formatting by me. (I am working my way through the 1200 writeups that need to be formatted).

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 744
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/9/2006 10:14:53 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Greyshaft also did all the HQ unit writeups. They were later edited by Peter (PAK######), and lastly, had paragraphing added by me.

I am looking for someone to do writeups for the other land units. There were many famous land units in WWII: the SS, the armor, paratroop, marine, and mountain corps come to mind. The infantry corps also fought long and hard from the beginning to the end of this war. I do not have time to do the research myself, so I am hoping for volunteers. Do you have a favorite land unit you would like to write 300 to 400 words about?

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 745
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/9/2006 10:42:19 PM   
sajbalk

Land unit descriptions are difficult -- are we to assume that the unit's designation is actually the divisional one? For example the US 1st corps has a red "1" which probably refers to the 1st division.

Steve Balk
Iowa, USA

Post #: 746
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/9/2006 11:27:16 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: sajbalk

Land unit descriptions are difficult -- are we to assume that the unit's designation is actually the divisional one? For example the US 1st corps has a red "1" which probably refers to the 1st division.

WIF land units come in 4 sizes: Division (XX), Corps(XXX), Army(XXXX), and Army Group(XXXXX). You can tell the size of the unit by the number of X's above its NATO symbol. Very few units are at the division size, so I am more interested in acquiring writeups on the larger size units. Clearly that means the narrative will have to use a broad brush in describing the unit's creation and activities during the war. These will be more along the lines of the campaigns they particiated in.

However, it might also be possible to describe the smaller units that made up the larger one. Then the activities of the elements of Corps X or Army Y might be described at a finer level.

I am quite open here as to how these are done. That is, what is included.

For the other unit descriptions we have been using the folowing guidelines:

1 - Some numbers associated with the unit (size & weapons), but not too many.
2 - Important dates are important.
3 - Pre-war and post-war stuff for perspective is nice. It doesn't always exist though (e.g., ship was build in 1942 and sunk in 1944).
4 - No plagarism. However, the facts have to be gathered somewhere - just not word for word. Using multiple sources helps here.
5 - Anecdotes are best. Something memorable about the unit makes the text interesting to read.

The length doesn't really matter, other than too much would be too much. Don't you love self-referencing definitions?

Did you have something specific in mind?

Steve

(in reply to sajbalk)
Post #: 747
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/9/2006 11:29:21 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Sorry, I never directly answered your question. I believe the 1 refers to 1st Corps. The other unit designations should be for the corresponding sized unit.

Steve

(in reply to sajbalk)
Post #: 748
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/10/2006 12:49:44 AM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

Sorry, I never directly answered your question. I believe the 1 refers to 1st Corps. The other unit designations should be for the corresponding sized unit.

On the counter, the "1" means it is the 1s US INF Corps.
But, the fact that it is bold and red, tells me that the designers have wanted to refer to the 1st US INF DIV, also called the Big Red One, in reference for its insign which was a Big Red "1".

That's why I think it is close to impossible to give writeups for the Land Units, because, first, famous WWII land units are division sized, quite never Corps sized, and second, because I believe that Corps composition changed through the war, that is, the Big Red One was not part of the same Corps for all the war. The later is only a general assumption, as I know nothing of WWII real Corps assignements of the Big Red One.

Post #: 749
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 10/10/2006 1:05:10 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
quote:

quote:

On the counter, the "1" means it is the 1s US INF Corps.
But, the fact that it is bold and red, tells me that the designers have wanted to refer to the 1st US INF DIV, also called the Big Red One, in reference for its insign which was a Big Red "1".

That's why I think it is close to impossible to give writeups for the Land Units, because, first, famous WWII land units are division sized, quite never Corps sized, and second, because I believe that Corps composition changed through the war, that is, the Big Red One was not part of the same Corps for all the war. The later is only a general assumption, as I know nothing of WWII real Corps assignements of the Big Red One.

I am not so pessimisstic about this task. Most land units in WIF have 'names', though most often they are numbers and/or letters of some kind. When the designers (ADG) gave the unit a 'name' and assigned numeric values to its ability to move and fight, they were basing that on some historical unit. True, the composition of the unit may have changed during the war. I expect that most of them did. But that doesn't prevent us from doing a writeup on the unit.

If nothing else we could say things like:
"The corps originally was composed of the following divisions ... "
"When it fought in xxx it had division Y replaced by division Z."
"Just before the battle of ABC it was reinforced by division R."
"The most famous division within Corps Z was division S which remained a part of the corps throughout the war."
"As it pushed farther into enemy territory, division L was on the left, division C was in the center, division R was on the right, and division M was in a mobile reserve."

I have only lightly touched upon some possibilities here. There is a lot that can be discussed either in terms of the corps/army/army group itself, or by referring to the elements that made up the large formation.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Modding unit bitmaps Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI