Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AIO Deceit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AIO Deceit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AIO Deceit - 12/26/2005 3:45:10 PM   
Frederyck

I was wondering if the AIO will be capable of deceit - ie if it will be capable of making moves designed to confound the opponent, or to lead her into thinking that something else is on the agenda than what is actually planned. An example of this would be Germany putting an AMPH on the track in S/O-39 for no other reason than to deter a strong CW troop presence in Egypt (by making him belive that an invasion of the UK might be planned, even though the German player really has no other thoughts than to take on the USSR in 41.)

Naturally, these moves are difficult to implement, as they are very dependant on the opponent actually falling for the ruse to be effective. But in the example above, if CW decides to build a few extra crappy GARR-units or whatnot to protect Edinburgh or Hull instead of an additional LND or two, or if he decides not to reinforce Suez as much as he would have needed, in order to protect his home country instead, those three BP (or six if you finish the AMPH) might be worth a lot more to the axis than an extra INF or two.
Post #: 1
RE: AIO Deceit - 12/26/2005 5:45:45 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frederyck
I was wondering if the AIO will be capable of deceit - ie if it will be capable of making moves designed to confound the opponent, or to lead her into thinking that something else is on the agenda than what is actually planned. An example of this would be Germany putting an AMPH on the track in S/O-39 for no other reason than to deter a strong CW troop presence in Egypt (by making him belive that an invasion of the UK might be planned, even though the German player really has no other thoughts than to take on the USSR in 41.)

Naturally, these moves are difficult to implement, as they are very dependant on the opponent actually falling for the ruse to be effective. But in the example above, if CW decides to build a few extra crappy GARR-units or whatnot to protect Edinburgh or Hull instead of an additional LND or two, or if he decides not to reinforce Suez as much as he would have needed, in order to protect his home country instead, those three BP (or six if you finish the AMPH) might be worth a lot more to the axis than an extra INF or two.

This falls under the category I am calling threats. Doing something that merely threatens a future action is one of the tactical elements for the AIO. Positioning a lot of units on the border of a country you are not at war with - yet -, putting together an invasion force in a major port, keeping a paratrooper on an ATR with long range, possessing an Offensive chit, etc. are all preparations for future actions that may or may not be implemented. Ideally, the threat is serious enough that if the opponent ignores it, the threat can be carried out. However, just because the preparation was made, does not mean it has to be executed. Indeed, simply keeping the threat in place has measurable benefits from the AIO's point of view.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 2
RE: AIO Deceit - 12/26/2005 11:24:10 PM   
Frederyck

Excellent! This has been a failure of all too many computer games that I have played.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AIO Deceit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI