Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Thread ! ! !

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: The Thread ! ! ! Page: <<   < prev  506 507 [508] 509 510   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:15:47 PM   
Mike Solli

It's currently 20 Aug 42. I saw a potential threat when the airfield and port levels started skyrocketing in Attu and Adak. I didn't expect 3 RCTs there though. Earlier I had caught a transport convoy with the 7th ID heading for Attu. I mangled it and most of the division became shark chum. That was about the time I invaded Attu. We had an "almost" carrier battle there. I had one of my KBs there and another TF with Hosho and Taiyo, as spare decks in case a carrier took significant damage. He snuck in the Enterprise and she caught the two CVEs and sank them. KB was 2 hexes from the Enterprise and nothing happened. I could have obliterated her.

If your opponent has only BFs there, take them. Their airfields can be increased enough for 4Es to operate and hit Japan. I won't stop until I capture both islands. Then I'll defend them to the death.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 15211
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:18:45 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

If your opponent has only BFs there, take them. Their airfields can be increased enough for 4Es to operate and hit Japan. I won't stop until I capture both islands. Then I'll defend them to the death.

Depends on what flavor WITP you are playing - don't think the AFs are terribly useful in stock. AF size is increased in some of the other ones (CHS) though...

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15212
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:21:37 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

It's currently 20 Aug 42. I saw a potential threat when the airfield and port levels started skyrocketing in Attu and Adak. I didn't expect 3 RCTs there though. Earlier I had caught a transport convoy with the 7th ID heading for Attu. I mangled it and most of the division became shark chum. That was about the time I invaded Attu. We had an "almost" carrier battle there. I had one of my KBs there and another TF with Hosho and Taiyo, as spare decks in case a carrier took significant damage. He snuck in the Enterprise and she caught the two CVEs and sank them. KB was 2 hexes from the Enterprise and nothing happened. I could have obliterated her.

Our game has primarily been eastern focused, i.e. the war has been in India, China and DEI. South and Central pacific have hardly seen shots fired since Dec 7th.

Naval battles, in particular carrier battles, are iffy in and around Alaska. The weather is too bad for planes to fly predictably.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15213
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:25:05 PM   
rtrapasso

In the words of HK Simpson: Woo-hoo! We are over 75K hits!

Post #: 15214
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:33:11 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Depends on what flavor WITP you are playing - don't think the AFs are terribly useful in stock. AF size is increased in some of the other ones (CHS) though...

Ah, hadn't thought of that. I'm using ABs map. Attu and Adak airfields can reach horrible levels, on par with Chicago's airport. In my opinion far too large, but I've never been there. Who am I to say?

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 15215
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:36:37 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, hadn't thought of that. I'm using ABs map. Attu and Adak airfields can reach horrible levels, on par with Chicago's airport. In my opinion far too large, but I've never been there. Who am I to say?

Yeah, pretty sure they are MUCH larger on ABs map than in stock. Actually, the runway LENGTHS might be comparable to Chicago and that is the only thing that counts in the game (not actual capacity.)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15216
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:41:41 PM   
Mike Solli

Anyone know offhand how long it takes for a sunken pre-war carrier to respawn?

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 15217
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:43:28 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

What happens in the game is different than what happens in the manual.

i lost Enterprise at PH 12/8 and it will be well into 1943 before she re-appears.

EDIT: The date of arrival seems to move around ...

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 7/14/2006 7:44:29 PM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15218
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:44:28 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

I had one of my KBs there and another TF with Hosho and Taiyo, as spare decks in case a carrier took significant damage. He snuck in the Enterprise and she caught the two CVEs and sank them. KB was 2 hexes from the Enterprise and nothing happened. I could have obliterated her.

Ahh, yes, that little problem. I did things like that enough times that its a mirracle that there arnt any fist-sized holes in the walls here. Takes me a while to remember that this is a stupid game on a stupid machine. Apparently, when the AI does its checks and things, it says "oh, two carrier decks, they will surely be enough to sink that huge, monstrous and unknown force 3 hexes thataway, why bother the KB with it".

In hindsight, I would have been a proponent of waiting however long it took for delayed release if they could have put in a system of strike force assignments, which you could use to tell the dumb AI what units you want to see doing what, from which it could then perform its various die rolls. Too bad.

PS....why couldnt have Ron bitched about important things like this instead of stupid OOB jazz back then.

< Message edited by Onime No Kyo -- 7/14/2006 7:46:41 PM >

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15219
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:47:23 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

i lost Enterprise at PH 12/8 and it will be well into 1943 before she re-appears.

Labor strikes.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 15220
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:48:14 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

Labor strikes.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 15221
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:49:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

But, but, but......its cold up there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15222
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:49:18 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

I had one of my KBs there and another TF with Hosho and Taiyo, as spare decks in case a carrier took significant damage. He snuck in the Enterprise and she caught the two CVEs and sank them. KB was 2 hexes from the Enterprise and nothing happened. I could have obliterated her.

Ahh, yes, that little problem. I did things like that enough times that its a mirracle that there arnt any fist-sized holes in the walls here. Takes me a while to remember that this is a stupid game on a stupid machine. Apparently, when the AI does its checks and things, it says "oh, two carrier decks, they will surely be enough to sink that huge, monstrous and unknown force 3 hexes thataway, why bother the KB with it".

In hindsight, I would have been a proponent of waiting however long it took for delayed release if they could have put in a system of strike force assignments, which you could use to tell the dumb AI what units you want to see doing what, from which it could then perform its various die rolls. Too bad.

PS....why couldnt have Ron bitched about important things like this instead of stupid OOB jazz back then.

Wait. Before you go off the deep end (sounds like you already did ) I forgot to mention one thing. KB was under one of those big fluffy clouds. They were rained in.

Post #: 15223
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:50:19 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Well, he probably did - there was very little that escaped Ron's attention and comments, and alas, that was part of the problem, i think.

Since he pointed out EVERY problem (and there were/are a ton of them), they started ignoring his copious volume of posts.

Post #: 15224
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:53:28 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

I've leased some penguin mercenaries just for the occasion.

Post #: 15225
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 7:58:52 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

quote:

quote:

Watch out their loyalties are questionable....a mysterious lot that.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15226
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 8:56:20 PM   
Dino

quote:

Alright. I caught up. Man you guys sure know how to spout.

16 pages in two days ...catching up is turning into a full time job for me...

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15227
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/14/2006 9:03:58 PM   
Dino

quote:

i wonder if the Highlanders' kilts are derived somehow from the Roman uniform...

As seen in "New secret Allied aerial wepon" thred, the basics of warcraft never change...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 15228
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/14/2006 9:18:12 PM   
rtrapasso

Just came out a meeting with the new management...

They said maybe they'd let us know something at the end of the month (we're still collecting data...).

Time to start the full-court press for a new job, i think.

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 15229
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/14/2006 9:24:29 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

They said maybe they'd let us know something at the end of the month (we're still collecting data...).

I know of a B-25 you can rent for a fly by.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 15230
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 9:29:34 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why do you think I'm sending them to isolated islands far from the Home Islands? Also, note that they will be in polar bear territory.

Post #: 15231
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/14/2006 9:37:12 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

I know of a B-25 you can rent for a fly by.

Well, i didn't show my butt in the meeting, but the definitely know i am NOT happy, which probably marks me as everyone else seemed to be acting like Smurfs on Valium...

Post #: 15232
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 9:59:18 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why do you think I'm sending them to isolated islands far from the Home Islands? Also, note that they will be in polar bear territory.

Yeah, but sometimes the Penguins pay off the Polar Bears and use them for the "heavy lifting"...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15233
RE: The Thread ! ! ! - 7/14/2006 10:06:05 PM   
Mike Solli

Uh oh.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 15234
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/14/2006 10:15:20 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

acting like Smurfs on Valium...

Very scary thought that.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 15235
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/14/2006 10:27:27 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

acting like Smurfs on Valium...

Very scary thought that.

i was kinda amazed, but had seen similar things in my prior positions at other company(s).

i've had several people come in and either try to reassure me ("Don't worry, we'll treat you right") or congratulate me ("I'm glad you brought that up").

Realistically, it is unlikely in the extreme that i could find a job in two weeks, but i will start looking seriously starting now, although the job market looks MUCH better than i've ever seen it. Who knows, maybe something better will come of this... If at the end of the promised two weeks, they have not come up with a firm offer, then well, i guess my suspicions will be confirmed.

Unfortunately, i've been down this path before (corporate medicine), and i did leave my old job to escape this kind of shenanigans. i can't say i trust the new regime - it looks too familiar to what i thought i had escaped.

Post #: 15236
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/14/2006 11:37:17 PM   
niceguy2005

*Whew, the turn could have been worse tithe.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 15237
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/14/2006 11:43:46 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

Ok, what happened?

Post #: 15238
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/14/2006 11:55:59 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

Ok, what happened?

Yes - inquiring minds want to know!!

However - this inquiring mind will have to wait for a bit as i am about to drive home...

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15239
RE: The Thread!!! - 7/15/2006 12:02:53 AM   
niceguy2005

quote:

quote:

Ok, what happened?

Graycompany invaded Trimcomalee. The turn was mostly him bombing my AF there and the allies throwing everything but the kitchen sink back. plenty of casualties on both sides. Lots more to come Im sure.

We even saw Sea Gladiators, they didn't fight but they were seen.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 15240
Page:   <<   < prev  506 507 [508] 509 510   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: The Thread ! ! ! Page: <<   < prev  506 507 [508] 509 510   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI