Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Skirmishers&Formations&Melees

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Skirmishers&Formations&Melees Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 1/18/2006 8:58:05 AM   
Rhetor

Yet another of my ideas:

Would it not be a good idea to incorporate the skirmisher system from Civil War BGs to Napoleonic BGs? It would really limit the number of units on the map, if most of skirmisher screens were simulated in the same way as it is done in Civil War BGs. Such screen could even be somehow shown in 3d-view.
I am not advising removal of detachable light companies, yet it might be better if such possibility was restricted to light/guard units only.

Another option would be very welcome - the possibility to deploy whole light battalion into a skirmish formation, and then reunite it into a formed battalion.

As far as the infantry formations are concerned, I think it would be realistic to introduce another type of column - assault column. If that is not possible or practicable, maybe the graphical representation of a column should be changed into what an assault column really looked like.

Melees & morale are another issue. In current BGs it is almost useless trying to melee a stronger formation, even if the attacking unit is not disorganized, fresh and elite. The most notorious ecxample happened to me during one of the battles at Ligny, during which I charged a routed 800-strong Landwehr battalion with two detached squadrons of hussars (300 sabres), and got slaugtered (125 hussars lost vs. 25 killed Landwehr). I really don't have to convince anybody that melees in the napoleonic era (and not only then) were all about morale.

I have to say I know almost nothing about program codes. I don't know if it is possible to introduce the suggestions I have given. Yet, remembering the fun I have had with those games, I am eager to see it improved.
Post #: 1
RE: Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 1/19/2006 6:55:00 AM   
lancerunolfsson

quote:

during one of the battles at Ligny, during which I charged a routed 800-strong Landwehr battalion with two detached squadrons of hussars (300 sabres), and got slaugtered (125 hussars lost vs. 25 killed Landwehr)

Gee I'm glad someone else did that;^) In most miniature games the landswere would have been flattened. In life I'm guessing they would be running and screaming the horsemans problems would mostly be tripping over dead and wounded and catching up with the others!!!

(in reply to Rhetor)
Post #: 2
RE: Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 1/21/2006 1:33:07 PM   
Black Mamba 1942

This holds for all tactical games.
Never close assault a unit that is NOT disrupted.

There are SOME exceptions to this.
Such as overwhelming odds in the attack.

(in reply to Rhetor)
Post #: 3
RE: Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 1/22/2006 3:39:34 AM   
lancerunolfsson

These guys were ROUTING thats supposed to be worse than disrupted!!!!!!!!!! ;^)

(in reply to Black Mamba 1942)
Post #: 4
RE: Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 1/22/2006 4:18:01 AM   
Black Mamba 1942

That really is strange.

Usually routed units fold up.
I haven't played these BG games in awhile.
Been playing Tillers second generation of Napoleonics for the last 5 years.

(in reply to lancerunolfsson)
Post #: 5
RE: Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 1/22/2006 5:11:44 AM   
rhondabrwn

Did you have a "save"? That would be worth running over to see if the same unrealistic result occurred or if it was just a really rare and unlucky result.

I mostly play the BG Civil War titles and there is no doubt in those games that a routed unit is going to crack and suffer significant losses if meleed.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Black Mamba 1942)
Post #: 6
RE: Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 1/22/2006 5:17:00 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhetor

Yet another of my ideas:

Would it not be a good idea to incorporate the skirmisher system from Civil War BGs to Napoleonic BGs? It would really limit the number of units on the map, if most of skirmisher screens were simulated in the same way as it is done in Civil War BGs. Such screen could even be somehow shown in 3d-view.
I am not advising removal of detachable light companies, yet it might be better if such possibility was restricted to light/guard units only.

Another option would be very welcome - the possibility to deploy whole light battalion into a skirmish formation, and then reunite it into a formed battalion.

As far as the infantry formations are concerned, I think it would be realistic to introduce another type of column - assault column. If that is not possible or practicable, maybe the graphical representation of a column should be changed into what an assault column really looked like.

Melees & morale are another issue. In current BGs it is almost useless trying to melee a stronger formation, even if the attacking unit is not disorganized, fresh and elite. The most notorious ecxample happened to me during one of the battles at Ligny, during which I charged a routed 800-strong Landwehr battalion with two detached squadrons of hussars (300 sabres), and got slaugtered (125 hussars lost vs. 25 killed Landwehr). I really don't have to convince anybody that melees in the napoleonic era (and not only then) were all about morale.

I have to say I know almost nothing about program codes. I don't know if it is possible to introduce the suggestions I have given. Yet, remembering the fun I have had with those games, I am eager to see it improved.

The BG Civil War skirmisher system is really only designed to allow you to have some recon of an extended distance of wooded terrain. Very useful in Shiloh, for example, but not a principal way of fighting battles. In the Napoleonic titles, detached skirmishers ARE often the battle. I find it a bit tedious, personally, but there is no denying the importance of skirmishers in Napoleonic warfare. The American Civil War just isn't the same situation IMHO.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Rhetor)
Post #: 7
RE: Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 1/22/2006 11:39:09 AM   
Rhetor

quote:

The BG Civil War skirmisher system is really only designed to allow you to have some recon of an extended distance of wooded terrain. Very useful in Shiloh, for example, but not a principal way of fighting battles. In the Napoleonic titles, detached skirmishers ARE often the battle. I find it a bit tedious, personally, but there is no denying the importance of skirmishers in Napoleonic warfare. The American Civil War just isn't the same situation IMHO.

Of course. I have not proposed that independent skirmishers should be totally removed. I am proposing that skirmisher screen in front of a column (in case of French battalions, its voltigeur company) should be permanently linked with the battalion, in order to limit the number of units the player has to control manually. All the bonuses of skirmisher screen should be retained.

Maybe it would be better if the players were given a choice whether their company is used to screen the formed infantry (in that case its movement would be linked with the movement of the battalion), or is detached from the battalion to perform some other task (in that case it would work as usual, with an independent skirmisher unit appearing on the map.)

I find it really annoying having to direct every single company, even though most of them are used only to screen the formed infantry. When those companies become routed, it becomes very difficult finding them and bringing them back to their battalions. The larger the battle, the more cliking one has to do in order to control his troops.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 8
RE: Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 1/22/2006 5:27:25 PM   
sol_invictus

I agree, in a Napoleonic setting, skirmishers should form an integral part of the entire unit; like in AOR. Instead of skirmishers holding their ground and accepting melee, they should withdraw back into their parent formation after getting off some ragged potshots.

(in reply to Rhetor)
Post #: 9
RE: Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 1/23/2006 7:08:42 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

Of course. I have not proposed that independent skirmishers should be totally removed. I am proposing that skirmisher screen in front of a column (in case of French battalions, its voltigeur company) should be permanently linked with the battalion, in order to limit the number of units the player has to control manually. All the bonuses of skirmisher screen should be retained.

Maybe it would be better if the players were given a choice whether their company is used to screen the formed infantry (in that case its movement would be linked with the movement of the battalion), or is detached from the battalion to perform some other task (in that case it would work as usual, with an independent skirmisher unit appearing on the map.)

I find it really annoying having to direct every single company, even though most of them are used only to screen the formed infantry. When those companies become routed, it becomes very difficult finding them and bringing them back to their battalions. The larger the battle, the more cliking one has to do in order to control his troops.

Yep, I see your point. Trying to keep track of all those individual companies was a pain! Having them linked in some way would certainly improve playability.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Rhetor)
Post #: 10
RE: Skirmishers&Formations&Melees - 2/24/2006 12:03:08 AM   
redcoat

quote:

Yeah, there were two types of column used in the Napoleonic period. The columns used in combat and 'columns of march' - which were used to rapidly move infantry to and from combat.

The graphical representation of a column in the BG games looks more like a 'column of march' than an 'assault column'.

A column of march would not be able to effectively fire - or launch a melee attack. But it would be able to utilise road movement and pass over rough ground without becoming disordered. A regular column would be able to fire (at reduced effectiveness) and launch melee attacks. However, I think that it would become disordered by passing over some rough ground (such as forest hexes).

Both forms of column would be vulnerable to fire - especially artillery.

An assault column could be given some kind of bonus when it launches a melee attack - but only if it is in good order. A disordered column would loose momentum and impetus.

< Message edited by redcoat -- 2/24/2006 12:22:25 PM >

(in reply to Rhetor)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Skirmishers&Formations&Melees Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI